Poly-Plate - what are it's uses? (w/specs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another thread ( link to topic ) Poly-Plate EP by JAX was recommended as a replacement for the teflon grease that Ford recommended back in the 70's for use on power window track mechanisms.

So I just picked up four 14oz tubes of EP-2 and I'm wondering what else I can use this for on my 70 Lincoln Mk III. I was thinking maybe front wheel bearings, what do you'all think? Can I use this for other applications?

Here's the stat sheet on the stuff:
Soap Type Polyurea
Penetration, Worked 60 Strokes 265-295
NLGI Grade 2
Dropping Point, F(C) 500(260)
Color Blue
Texture Smooth
Water Washout @ 170 F, %, ASTM D 1264 10.0 max.
Oil Separation, % loss, ASTM D 1742 5.0 max
Bearing Corrosion Test, ASTM D 1743 Pass
4-Ball EP Weld Test, ASTM D 2596,
Load-Wear Index, kgf 50
Weld Point, kgf 400 min.
Timken OK Load, lbs, ASTM D 2509 60
Base Fluid:
Viscosity @ 40 C, cSt 135-155
Viscosity @ 100 C, cSt 13.5 - 15.5
Viscosity Index 70 min.

Here's the ad words:
...a new generation of industrial grease based on the latest polyurea base technology. We believe it will replace lithium complex as the benchmark high-temperature industrial grease.
...gains a performance advantage in two ways. It uses low-sulfur base oils to prolong the performance life of elastomeric and metal components. Second, the excellent E.P. number are obtained without the use of corrosive-type additives, such as those with high sulfur content, often found in lithium-complex greases.
...both poly-plate e.p. and lithium-complex greases are recommended for service up to 350F. Due to increased high-temperature life, it will lubricate for longer periods. The extremely low oil separation is also a critical factor in its enhanced at high temperatures.
...is recommended for sealed-for-life and EMB applications. It gives better water resistance than lithium-complex greases, as well as better low-temperature performance and elastomer compatibility. It shows superior results in extreme-pressure, oil separation and grease pumpability tests.
...is environmentally friendly, containing no heavy metals or chlorinated compounds.

Thanks!
34.gif

Well..... nearly anything that needs grease in the car.
smile.gif

Really, there's not much of anything on older cars (besides some wierd-o foreign stuff with bamboo bushings and other oddities) that needs anything exotic for grease.

Wheel bearings, distributor shaft, window regulator/tracks, ball joints, u-joints.
There's some differing theories on some EP addatives and wheel bearings, not sure of that stuff has solid particulates like moly or graphite, doesn't say anything about it.

By the sounds of it though, it should be good for most anything in an automotive use.

Does it have a rating like GC-LB or anything?

Thing is What I really like is they say it may replace lithium as a industry standard,

Really come to find out lithium greases are at the bottom of the Totem pole, for longevity, and such,

Its Junk in comparison to what other greases are available, It is the most widely used, More "Versatile" but other than that if you want to take the time to clean, and do a thorough job, yep use something else,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back