Political and advertising spam texts

JHZR2

Staff member
Two issues:

#1 I don’t give out my cell for much. Somehow I’ve been getting political spam texts, all one party, associated with my voter registration.

They’ve effectively lost my vote. And certainly never another dime to political stuff. I intend to unregister party affiliations as well. But what else might possibly work? All texts and are different area codes, and most have the same few basic URL, though the codes that are after the first part all differ. I never click.

#2 my work phone never got spam texts. A few weeks ago I got one for “Benford” who was apparently looking for a job. I didn’t respond. Since then, endless job texts, calls, then the spam “you won” items as well.

I’m so done with it. Sending to 7726 and deleting and reporting junk does nothing. They always come from different phone numbers too.

What else?

Nothing is working. Two different services too.

Thanks!

As a prank, one of my college buddies signed up for messaging and phone call advertisements from both parties. That was a while ago now, and despite my best efforts, I still get political texts and voicemails. From both sides, no less. I get so many messages.

Let me know if you figure it out. I'm spiteful, like you. Not voting for anyone that annoys me.

There are both state and federal "do not call" lists.

My two pet peeves about the DNC lists?

- these are a joke and don't work because unscrupulous companies just call using a number generator and don't check against the DNC list ...
- the elected persons who created the DNC list laws exempt themselves; political phone calls are not against the law, but all other forms of solicitation are ...

OMYAC!

Let me know if you figure it out. I'm spiteful, like you. Not voting for anyone that annoys me.
I suspect your or JHZR2 vote in a federal election from your state makes zero difference, unless it is for a contested primary. Same could be said for voters in California, Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, New York, and about 35 +/- other states. For non-primary federal elections, in less than ten states do an individual's vote have the ability to impact the outcome of the election in their domicile.

Last edited:
I've been getting texts from a few different candidates for political office. It does get frustrating, especially since it is election days right now here in Utah, so between a few different candidates, I was getting two or three texts each day. I was successful in getting it to all stop by unsubscribing. So far, so good. I don't think any of the political texts that I get come from PACs.

But, I also get chapped about thinking that I didn't give my number out to anyone. I didn't tell any candidate or party that I want to get inundated with texts from them. So it just burns my butt that they send it all to me. Especially since I've already voted, and their campaigning could not change my vote.

Donated once 12 years ago and I get two - three unsolicited texts per day. If you respond in any way, even with the STOP, all you did was renew the bombardment. This has not changed my affiliation, both sides are guilty.

You think you're annoyed. My wife got a new cell phone and she has gotten dozens of calls, with many leaving messages, all asking for Edith. They're always a loans agency or a used car place with a special deal "just for her".

After 5 years she still gets the occasional call for Edith. "You've been pre-approved".

Edith must have cut quite a swath!

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Two issues:

#1 I don’t give out my cell for much. Somehow I’ve been getting political spam texts, all one party, associated with my voter registration.

They’ve effectively lost my vote. And certainly never another dime to political stuff. I intend to unregister party affiliations as well. But what else might possibly work? All texts and are different area codes, and most have the same few basic URL, though the codes that are after the first part all differ. I never click.

#2 my work phone never got spam texts. A few weeks ago I got one for “Benford” who was apparently looking for a job. I didn’t respond. Since then, endless job texts, calls, then the spam “you won” items as well.

I’m so done with it. Sending to 7726 and deleting and reporting junk does nothing. They always come from different phone numbers too.

What else?

Nothing is working. Two different services too.

Thanks!
Political solicitation does not apply when it comes to the do not call list. I am unsure about text messages, but I suspect the politicians made it OK to do that as well. I’m annoyed as well and all I could do is hit the delete and report junk on my iPhone, but when it comes to political messages, I don’t know if that applies

I've gotten to the point, that unless i recognize the number, i don't answer. Whoever it is can leave a message. Some bot calls are number generators looking for an answer, that its a working number, then they sell that list of working numbers.

I've gotten to the point, that unless i recognize the number, i don't answer. Whoever it is can leave a message. Some bot calls are number generators looking for an answer, that its a working number, then they sell that list of working numbers.
So, one thing I’ve noticed is that on my work iPhone (VZ), I can reject a call, and it will not go to voicemail. On my personal iPhone, they always go to voicemail, regardless. There’s no way to deny the call.

It’s not helping with VZ though.

I've been getting texts from a few different candidates for political office. It does get frustrating, especially since it is election days right now here in Utah, so between a few different candidates, I was getting two or three texts each day. I was successful in getting it to all stop by unsubscribing. So far, so good. I don't think any of the political texts that I get come from PACs.

But, I also get chapped about thinking that I didn't give my number out to anyone. I didn't tell any candidate or party that I want to get inundated with texts from them. So it just burns my butt that they send it all to me. Especially since I've already voted, and their campaigning could not change my vote.
The funny thing is, next to none are actually NJ area codes, or candidates.

I’ve never been subscribed to anything for anyone.

It’s all looking for money, I’m sure.

And on my work phone, the job texts and calls have slowly morphed into winner of this, and loan for that.

You think you're annoyed. My wife got a new cell phone and she has gotten dozens of calls, with many leaving messages, all asking for Edith. They're always a loans agency or a used car place with a special deal "just for her".

After 5 years she still gets the occasional call for Edith. "You've been pre-approved".

Edith must have cut quite a swath!
My father died in 1978 and he'd be 108 years old if he was alive today. I can't imagine what mailing list he's on but, I've moved several times since he died and he often gets more mail at my house these days than I do.

And he's probably still registered to vote in multiple jurisdictions.
Most of the mail are invites to retirement seminars and stuff like that. The funny thing is my wife was not invited to her high school reunion. She spoke to someone on the committee and they said they couldn't locate her. Her parents still live in the same house that my wife grew up in. But the junk mail people can find my location for my deceased father even though I've certainly never filled out any change of address for him. How they track my father to me after all these years is a mystery.

Back