Police chase question

Most light trucks top out around 100 MPH give or take a few stock. That's where they are typically electronically limited.

Televising chases is all about entertainment, that's all the TV number is.

It’s always interested me when some police chases, the cop car can’t keep up very well. I remember seeing one with a V6 Toyota Solara or something, the cops could barely keep up.

Only 75? I’ve had my. Cherokee up to about 95 before.

My top speed in the Genesis so far is 135.
Fastest I dare in it

That on-screen speedo is completely make-believe. If you're really bored, go to 6:15 in the video. He turns a corner in the downtown area, gets stuck behind some cars, and weaves around them .... at almost 70 mph according to the speedo.
Is that speedo supposed to show the suspect's speed or the speed of the patrol vehicle chasing him? Looks fake, regardless.

I think it extrapolates the speed based off the airspeed of the helicopter and camera speed. I have watched pursuits where they pan the camera and the speed jumps to like 850mph for a few seconds.

For anyone that doesn't live in SoCal, police pursuits are like sport here. I get updates on my phone whenever one is on one of the LA channels.

There was a police chase in (I think) CT, and the getaway driver was quite skilled. The chase went on for quite some time and I was fascinated and captivated by the dashcam video of the super-human speeds on the backroads. Most chases are reasonably boring with some low quality driving, but this one was amazing. I'll see if I can find it.

Most light trucks top out around 100 MPH give or take a few stock. That's where they are typically electronically limited.

Televising chases is all about entertainment, that's all the TV number is.
I haven’t tried in a newer truck, but my 96’ Chevy C1500 5.7L was computer limited to 100. Once it hit 100 it just cut fuel and fell on it’s face.

It probably has a governor in the interest of tire integrity, from the factory. As most light trucks do.

It could have been modified to go faster, but from the looks of the truck I doubt it.

It could also be more sensationalism from the Media...

I recall a story that made the rounds on the Motorcycle boards in the early 2000's, of a guy that get "caught" going 205 MPH on a Honda RC51. Nevermind that the bike in question only had some slip-on mufflers, and would've struggled mightily to reach a genuine 160+ MPH.

Fake news trying to sell advertising.

While I’d suspect that some of the more powerful engines could push an unloaded truck that fast if geared right, It would be way past the tire speed rating, and very hard to control in a vehicle of that size and sloppy a suspension.

Pretty sure my S-10 cuts fuel at 92 or so. My Cummins has a 3000 rpm Redline, so I can’t imagine it can go too fast...

Stumbled across a youtube video of a police police chase near Los Angelas.

The guy running was driving a 2000's standard cab 3/4 ton chevy truck.

The news channel had a speedometer in the corner of the screen showing the guys speed.

At one point he got on a fwy. Once traffic cleared up he got the truck up to 132 mph. The only reason he did not go faster was traffic. The truck seemed to be able to go faster.

So my question is just how fast will a 3/4ton chevy truck go? Maybe I am out of the loop lol.

None of my stuff can go that fast. My jeep might do 75. Same with my truck. Toyota a little faster....maybe 90? I dunno.

Is that the one where he went wrong way and crashed head on?

Also. The aircraft radar speeds.. they are not accurate. I do not know exactly how it works, but the speeds are either on a delay or the aircraft speed as related to the ground or both. You can frequently see speeds going down as the truck is turning, accelerating, etc.

Top speed is probably around 105 might be more I do not know exactly.

With 300+ HP it's possible these trucks can hit 130 MPH even with barn door aerodynamics. My 4-cylinder Tacoma can hit 90 pretty easily. Also the standard cab Chevys are fairly low to the ground, for a pickup truck.

have you ever driven a early chev pickup with LS engine? they are extremely fast. supposed to have an elect gov at 105 mph aprox

Back