Pole building - How much to do spray foam

I have a 40x30 area and id like to spray foam the walls. Is there a rough calculation on how much this should cost. I hear it is **very** expensive.

Cost is largely regional/local but a quick google suggests $1.50/sqft.

The biggest problem with spray foam revolves around install. The tanks can't be too cold, the mixture has to be right, humidity levels within range, and every lift can't be too deep. If any of these are off then the foam won't cure correctly and it'll be a smelly mess.

I hate to be that person, but why are you only interested in the walls? What is going on with the roof/ceiling?

The roof is where all of your heat loss is and most of the heat gain. The east, west and south walls do play a factor in heat gain, along with poorly-performing glass on those walls.

For the most part, walls can be cardboard as far as insulation value....it's the roof that needs to be addressed.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Well the kits will run you about 2$ a board foot. Professional install is going to be about that or more. Though if everything is open it's less work for the installers.

How high on the walls and are you doing the ceiling as well?

I would honestly skip the foam on the walls. Look into rockwool insulation. Very good stuff and normal installation.

There are too many variables with spray foam application IMO to fully trust it. And if anything goes wrong, even years down the road, it’s a mess and a lot of labor to take it off. I would proceed with caution.

The industry seems to gloss over how critical the allocation process is and the serious ramifications and potential health issues of any mishap. You pretty much always hear how great it is.

What it boils down to is that I was never prepared for post covid prices. I was skilled with 2014 era prices and now I am unable to grasp this this inflation, and now must settle for less. There is no other choice.

I am going to staple plastic to the ceiling joists first, then (as money and time allows) screw white metal to the ceiling. I am going to use the heat only when I am there working and turn it completely off when im not there.

If there were more cost effective insulation options, I would maintain a 40 degree temp.

I have a metal building and put fiberglass bats as condensation can happen at times with weather changes and drip. The bats went on before the metal roof was screwed down, so may not be useful for you at this point. I don't heat that as storage only. Good luck

What it boils down to is that I was never prepared for post covid prices. I was skilled with 2014 era prices and now I am unable to grasp this this inflation, and now must settle for less. There is no other choice.

I am going to staple plastic to the ceiling joists first, then (as money and time allows) screw white metal to the ceiling. I am going to use the heat only when I am there working and turn it completely off when im not there.

If there were more cost effective insulation options, I would maintain a 40 degree temp.
Can't hurt to have some guy price it out. It's not like you're asking for residential levels of R-value.

Cost is largely regional/local but a quick google suggests $1.50/sqft.

The biggest problem with spray foam revolves around install. The tanks can't be too cold, the mixture has to be right, humidity levels within range, and every lift can't be too deep. If any of these are off then the foam won't cure correctly and it'll be a smelly mess.

It's very easy to mess up a sprayfoam install. and it seems like there's a lot of companies out there who just buy the equipment and immediately get to it with no experience. I'm in some facebook groups for home remodels and there are horror stories of people getting their house sprayfoamed and having mold.

I would spray at least an inch or two on the walls and then add fiberglass to bring up the R value. The foam will makes things more air tight.

That might not be the best way and I see some are suggesting just use fiberglass but I have been in quite a few pole barn shops and garages that are about impossible to heat on a windy day because of the drafts through the walls. Especially if you have metal on the outside and metal on the inside.

I worked at a guys house last year who did the grey blow in stuff. His barn was massive with 2 stories, but i can’t remember the dimensions.

I want to say he said blow in cost around 16k whereas the spray in cost around 60k. Something to look into at least.

Back