Polar Vortex Coming

Come on Kelowna....0c? that's 32F. That ain't cold...beisdes, my weather app shows this for Columbus Ohio (assuming that's where you meant)
Thursday 2/11 - High of 17F (-8C) , and a low of 2F (-16C)
Friday 2/12 - High of 13F (-10C) , and a low of -8F (-22C)
View attachment 44213
if curious why it says "Ryan's place" at the top, I have Columbus Tagged that way, because my buddy Ryan lives in Columbus...
Yes, thanks. I had meant 0 F. I’m used to typing a C. Even 0 is too high judging from your update.

That sucks I hate the cold. Especially here in the south where we aren’t used to it being really cold lol. The wind is what kills me though and makes it worse and blows my hat off every time so I have to chase it.

As Long as the pipes don't come up the outside wall, you'll be fine.
The exterior wall is 2x4. I insulated the wall cavity, did a vapor barrier , then plywood over the studs, then built out another 2x4 wall for a 4' wide section then insulated behind the pipes. There's a few hidden vent holes going into the bathroom in an attempt to keep heat in there.

Haven't had issues on the 3 degree F night we had last weekend. I am on a crawlspace and the wall itself faces northeast so it gets all the cold wind off of Lake Ontario

These things spill into the lower half of the hemisphere all of the time. The last one sat over Europe for awhile. Now it's our turn.

They're also throwing around the "Greenland Block" again, so this will be with us for awhile.

The wind is what kills me though and makes it worse and blows my hat off every time so I have to chase it.

The wind also helps reveal just how well built your house is. My old house is so drafty that a huge gust of wind outside actually moved one of the interior doors.

In the winter, I could actually watch (on humidity/temp display) as the interior humidity slowly dropped when the 20-30MPH NNW winds started up.

My new house is much better. When it was being built, I probably used 5 tubes of polyurethane sealant and 30 cans of Great Stuff (I even spent the money for the professional Great Stuff gun) to seal all the gaps and cracks in the building envelope, including the top plate in the attic. It is MUCH easier to do this during construction than to try to do it later. And it paid off, my heat pump can keep this house at 68F when it's 25F outside without using aux heat.

The wind also helps reveal just how well built your house is. My old house is so drafty that a huge gust of wind outside actually moved one of the interior doors.

In the winter, I could actually watch (on humidity/temp display) as the interior humidity slowly dropped when the 20-30MPH NNW winds started up.

My new house is much better. When it was being built, I probably used 5 tubes of polyurethane sealant and 30 cans of Great Stuff (I even spent the money for the professional Great Stuff gun) to seal all the gaps and cracks in the building envelope, including the top plate in the attic. It is MUCH easier to do this during construction than to try to do it later. And it paid off, my heat pump can keep this house at 68F when it's 25F outside without using aux heat.
That’s crazy lol I hate drafty houses. My sisters house was built in the 1920s and it’s very drafty too they have a nice wood stove that keeps it somewhat warm. Glad your new one is better. Our house was built in 1981 still going strong just had a new roof put on back in November.

Back