Point of a spoiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like smaller ones like that. I contemplated buying one for the 2007 Corolla I had, but never did. I think it adds some "visual weight" to the back of the car.

By the way, except for the color and the transmission, that Corolla is nearly identical to the '07 I had, and I highly recommend it. I bought mine with something like 14k miles on it and really enjoyed that car. Off came the OEM Bridgestone Insignias and steel wheels and on went a set of Yokohama Avid TRZs on some very light weight 15" 2nd gen Prius wheels. Those wheels were only 14 pounds each, compared to close to 20 pounds each for the steelies. The wheel/tire combo made a remarkable difference in how that car drove. It handled very neutral, would flick from side to side with ease, and the 5-speed made it very enjoyable. 5-speed Corolla LEs are hard to find, but that's what mine was.

I regrettably traded it on the 2011 Camry we owned for just a short while. My wife cannot drive a stick due to a left foot injury, and we had a minivan that couldn't stay out of the dealership, so we were compelled to trade into something that she could drive while her van was at the shop. The van was paid for, and we weren't interested in taking a bath on it so soon in its life. We did anyway in the end, but that's a long story...

Anyway, those Corollas are good cars.

^ with all that said I make no claims concerning the actual effectiveness of a spoiler on any factory vehicle.

But if the argument is that they aren't effective and they don't belong, then it doesn't matter what wheels are driven.

That is good to hear. I find myself caught by the mythical Toyota reliability: but also because it is a nuisance to have to remember which way to flip the wiper stalk (it's opposite on my Jetta), among other things. Three similar vehicles, that could be a good thing.

I have to admit, the photos don't look bad, just seems like false pretensions. Maybe if it wasn't an auto it'd seem better.

Put up an ad for the Jetta, will see what nibbles I get, then think about budget.

I installed the BMW OEM M Sport rear spoiler on my Club Sport- it was primarily an aesthetic decision as it was subtle and integrated perfectly with the rest of the M Sport aerodynamic kit that came on the car:

BAS01090.jpg

My wife and son gave it to me for a Fathers Day present back in 1997. The kit even came with stronger hatch struts to compensate for the weight of the spoiler.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
On a FWD car they are especially stupid.

So FWD cars don't need grip at the rear tires?

Not only that, but increasing grip by adding downforce isn't the only use for spoilers on cars. Often they're tuned to decrease drag. So saying that aero devices on the rear half of a FWD car are stupid is showing some ignorance regarding how aerodymanics affects vehicle operation.

There are a lot of additions that vehicles come with these days that are of no use outside of a high performance environment, but that doesn't mean we don't want them anyway.

If you don't like them, that's fine. But they have their uses, even on FWD cars.

More down force increases drag which doesn't matter if you not going for absolute top speed. Which is why on a twisty short track for example you crank it on.

On the Countach for example the big wing cuts about 30mph off top end.

This is why manufactures are going to active aero like Pagani, Porsche, and Ferrari.

For street use all spoilers are just gingerbread because they don't do anything until you are breaking the speed limit. I like clean none gingerbread cluttered lines.

Last edited:
For street use all spoilers are just gingerbread because they don't do anything until you are breaking the speed limit. I like clean none gingerbread cluttered lines.

Well, unless they're impractically large. I know the guy who built this CRX, and that wing was specifically chosen as it has significant downforce by 60 - 70mph with the angle of attack set steep enough (the car is used for autocross, so it very rarely sees triple digit speeds). On the other hand, it adds a ton of drag. Even with it set to 0* AOA, it costs them a full mpg for the tow rig with the CRX on the trailer (compared to removing the wing for travel).

bmancuso-bonus%20800X533.jpg

Last edited:
More down force increases drag which doesn't matter if you not going for absolute top speed. Which is why on a twisty short track for example you crank it on.

On the Countach for example the big wing cuts about 30mph off top end.

This is why manufactures are going to active aero like Pagani, Porsche, and Ferrari.

I don't know what that has to do with what I said. I think I displayed that I understand that there are multiple effects you can have through the use of aero devices.

My point remains, it is not "stupid" to use aero devices on the rear half of a FWD car. They aren't always for aesthetics, they can in fact be tuned to adjust the car's performance.

For street use all spoilers are just gingerbread because they don't do anything until you are breaking the speed limit.

...and 400+ horsepower engines are pretty pointless outside of a performance environment as well, but people enjoy them anyway. Using it all means you're probably breaking more than one traffic law.

If people like something and they're willing to pay money for it, is it really important that you agree with how useful it is in their day to day life?

I like clean none gingerbread cluttered lines.

Then why not just say up front that you don't like the way spoilers look? That's all the reason you need to not like them. You don't have to rationalize it.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
Corolla? I'd have to see it.

http://www.grappone.com/used/Toyota/2008-Toyota-Corolla-72a835e40a0a00e06d7b1050b280ee8e.htm

Looks pretty good. I still wouldn't buy the car, but it's decent.

You wouldn't buy the car because of the spoiler, or wouldn't buy the car at all?

No Corollas for me. Toyota makes great cars. I'm just not a Toyota guy.

Our Impala LS has one and all it does is make it harder to sweep snow off the trunk in winter. Snow slides down the rear window and just lays by the spoiler. I would not want one again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back