Point of a spoiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
on a Corolla LE model with plastic wheel covers??? and an auto to boot.

Had a moment, took a look at the inventory at a dealership I usually do business with, and they have one like this. Halfway tempted to take it for a spin, just to see if I would hate it: but the spoiler is kind of deal killer IMO. Not that one w/o it wouldn't come along eventually, could just test drive and walk away.

I could almost see the point on a stickshift, if it was expected to get blingy wheels or something; but this seems like such a wrong combo.

What's the point of a lot of things, when it gets down to it? Most fog lamps are simply toys anyway, most alloy wheels are much larger (and heavier) than they could or maybe should be, and a lot of vehicles have showy graphics on the side that really aren't necessary.

It's all cosmetic. I like the look of small spoilers, though I've never owned a car with one.

Spoiler is just part of an appearance package. Wish mine had one
frown.gif
OEM only,of course are the only ones that look right.

A real spoiler is for downforce.On a Corolla its more for show,creating drag and additional weight.It would be like a Superbird/Daytona mile high spoiler on a Camry...

Dumbest thing ever. Car not fast, not sure if downforce in rear is needed (if these designs actually do anything anyway).

For people to feel "sporty" is what it's all about...

On certain cars the spoiler is completely functional. My car has one that actually alleviates some drag. It may be the smallest you have never seen.

On the overwhelming majority of cars the spoiler is all show.

Most cars is just cosmetic. On my Lancer Evolutions they had a carbon fiber "wing" but was actually functional at speeds over 100mph. I drove an evo with and without a wing on the track and there is a HUGE difference in grip on the rear end on this particular vehicle. On a Corolla? Toyota just trying for a sporty youthful appearance.

Dump the wheel covers for some nice alloys and maybe a nice little ride. Personally Im not much of a Toyota guy, but Corollas a solid reliable cars without question.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Most fog lamps are simply toys anyway.

Why? I think they come in handy on skiing trips. It always seems to be foggy on the mountain.

Originally Posted By: glock19

Why? I think they come in handy on skiing trips. It always seems to be foggy on the mountain.

When they're proper fog lamps, yes. However, many stock fog lamps don't throw a useful beam pattern and just aren't helpful (they add excessive foreground lighting but don't work in real fog and don't throw far enough).

Nah, I sorta get it--but on a Corolla? Different strokes for different folks. Just seemed so, err, out of place.

Pay money for alloys? No thanks. Sure, they look nice, but meh, they get scratched too easily. I about cried when I saw the damage to my VW rims (around the center cap, where they use some sort of universal hold down thing on the balancing machine). But it did soften the blow when the mechanic clipped something and put a big gouge in... I can't be bothered to wash the car during the winter months, so brake dust will eventually make that purchase for naught.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's supposed to make it look fast.

But the name Corolla says otherwise.

Not just the name but everything else says otherwise. However, some people only focus on the looks, which is fine by me.

Originally Posted By: supton
on a Corolla LE model with plastic wheel covers??? and an auto to boot.

Had a moment, took a look at the inventory at a dealership I usually do business with, and they have one like this. Halfway tempted to take it for a spin, just to see if I would hate it: but the spoiler is kind of deal killer IMO. Not that one w/o it wouldn't come along eventually, could just test drive and walk away.

I could almost see the point on a stickshift, if it was expected to get blingy wheels or something; but this seems like such a wrong combo.

I like that my charger is spoiler free. My mustangs look good with one however there is definitely a point where redundant and "are you serious" comes into effect.

In the US for the most part we don't have control of the fogs over the main beams I think. So, for me they just add glare in weather versus the old school ones I had on my Duster, F-Bird, Camaro, etc. Those I could use without the main beams taking the glare away in weather.

Looks most likely. On my EVO VIII however it smoothed out the air and nullified lateral winds. Miss the latter part often even in my RX8 which is pretty low drag.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75

In the US for the most part we don't have control of the fogs over the main beams I think. So, for me they just add glare in weather versus the old school ones I had on my Duster, F-Bird, Camaro, etc. Those I could use without the main beams taking the glare away in weather.

Some US spec vehicles will let you run just parking lights and fogs, although it's illegal to do so in most of the US (despite it being much more effective in certain weather conditions). I do it anyway though if the weather calls for it (although my fogs will throw just as far as my low beams, just with less glare and more yellow).

Is it illegal to go with just fogs? I've been meaning to rewire the fogs that I added the truck, so that it would be fully separate control (I tapped the wrong control wire, and wound up with fogs that will only operate if low beam is on). But if it's illegal then I might not as well bother.

I have to say, I do like fogs in the Jetta, and when I got the truck I found some cheapo fogs to go into the bumper, to replace the ugly blockouts. Much lower than the headlights, so I sorta expect them to do something.

Haven't figured out how to do the Euro rear fog though...

Yeah, my lady bought an '03 Taurus from a private seller in July; it came with a spoiler, for reasons neither she, I nor the PO can fathom.

On a WRX, OK---but a Taurus or a Corolla? Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back