Pocket pistol recommendation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My EDC is a Glock 42 (.380) loaded with Precision One's load with the Hornady XTP round. This load rated as the best performing .380 in Shooting the Bull's .380 ammo quest on You Tube.

You might consider a Taurus TCP. They can be bought for less than $200.00.

FirstNissan, Most North American wild animals that can actually harm humans, are afraid of them. Having said that hunger and rabies do strange things to animals making them unpredictable. Same is true about humans with or without rabies!
smile.gif
So if I was going to be out where I might encounter a bear, the minimum I'd carry is .357, six shot revolver which is also good medicine for bad humans. You don't say what breed your dogs are but hopefully, at minimum they will alert you to danger so your not surprised. And better they have some protection instincts too.

Glock 43

I don't know why someone would choose the (more expensive) .380 when there are so many good sub-compact 9mm options available.

Don't know if that qualifies as "pocket" in the OP's case since the term is somewhat subjective.

Perhaps my response was a little too tongue-in-cheek; this is part of what I was getting at.

In any analysis of "what gun for me?" The combination of shooter, weapon, and caliber is what makes that gun (and so, recommendation) effective or appropriate.

Better said, and to the point.

Typical firearm recommendation discussions center on the biggest caliber that the shooter can still shoot effectively. This time, it's more a matter of the smallest frame that the shooter can shoot effectively.

Again, well said. It's a worthwhile question; on the basis of the comments from genuinely knowledgeable people here, it seems the "best" gun is the one you like because you're more likely to have it when you need it -- "like" including "does it fit me?"

We know for sure that not all primates or canids experience fear or pain during a committed attack, we know that reaction time varies greatly with situational awareness and mental preparation, we know that shot placement weighs heavily in effectiveness, and we know shot placement varies greatly with training and experience.

Thinking about this, I'm wondering at what range of distances does this all happen?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
My liking would run along the lines of a S&W Model 60 in .357 and you could run 38's in it if you found it to be too much for you. Without a doubt it would stop anything you're talking about.

Yes , get a wheel gun .

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Yes , get a wheel gun .

Why?.... Because 5 or 6 shots is better than 15. And why would anyone want a pistol that can be reloaded in less than 2 seconds?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I think the fundamental question that has not been asked is: Open carry or concealed?

I think the reason that it has not been asked is that it was obviated by the OP's title.

He's looking for a pocket pistol.

Never been a better time to find a pistol that meets your needs. Pocket carry size pistols and revolvers are made by just about anyone and everyone. To answer the OP's question, .380 should be fine for your needs. Also look into a 5 shot snub nose revolver. I think its hard to beat the Ruger LCR in 38 spl for just about any pocket carry needs. I have carried a S&W 442 for more years that I care to remember. Either round should serve your needs well.

Personal recommendations for pocket carry... Glock 42 or Ruger LCR.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
Yes , get a wheel gun .

Why?.... Because 5 or 6 shots is better than 15. And why would anyone want a pistol that can be reloaded in less than 2 seconds?

How many people are you shooting at?
shocked.gif

OP here, I got out to the range today and rented the glock 42, glock 43, LCP, j frame smith. I loved the glock 42 however lcp fits my pocket better. G43 was nice but snappy and I hated the recoil on the j frame unfortunately. I picked up an lcp for $200 plus tax at my local store.
Thank you all for your help!

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
OP here, I got out to the range today and rented the glock 42, glock 43, LCP, j frame smith. I loved the glock 42 however lcp fits my pocket better. G43 was nice but snappy and I hated the recoil on the j frame unfortunately. I picked up an lcp for $200 plus tax at my local store.

If you like it and it fits, good choice!

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
however lcp fits my pocket better. I picked up an lcp for $200 plus tax at my local store.

I hope you plan on using some type of holster for pocket carry. Don't want the trigger to catch on anything!

Yes , get a wheel gun .

Revolvers don't jam! Beside the Op isn't talking a double stack gun.

Last edited:
Yes , get a wheel gun .

If you need 15 shots to hit your target, you are either too far away or a terrible shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back