Pocket pistol recommendation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Revolvers don't jam!

Quite the contrary. Put 10,000 rounds through a Glock 17 and 10,000 through a Smith model 10, and you will have way more problems with the revolver. Not even close. Revolvers jam all the time, and folks that say otherwise just don't shoot enough.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
If you need 15 shots to hit your target, you are either too far away or a terrible shot.

To be fair, you never know what kind of event will transpire. You don't know how much ammo you will need. People sometimes fall down when hit one time. Other people keep attacking even after being shot 14 times center mass with a .45ACP. We don't have crystal balls, so yes, more ammo is better. But we do often compromise by carrying smaller guns that carry less ammo. In that case, a reload (or two) is appropriate.
https://www.policeone.com/police-heroes/...mmo-on-the-job/

There is a YouTube video of a security guard getting his butt handed to him after he ran out of ammo in his 6 shooter revolver. Two attackers, one (or both) of them shot, and they still continue to attack him, even after being shot. If he had a 15 shot 9MM, he would have won that confrontation easily.

I highly recommend spending several hours watching this YouTube channel. So many lessons to be learned here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE_m2z1NrvF2ImeNWh84mw

If you are using a handgun in good working condition, clean, and using the proper ammo, a revolver is less likely to malfunction. However, either type can malfunction. Carry another handgun, not just more ammo.

Revolvers don't jam! Beside the Op isn't talking a double stack gun.

You haven't shot a lot of revolvers, obviously

I'll add my .02...

Looking at the request...my experience with true "pocket" guns lead me to these recommendations. I also tend to stick with 9mm because I think .380's are snappy for what they are.

Sig P938 - If you'll consider the P238...you might as well go for the 9mm. I've shot both and didn't think the 238 offered less recoil to be worth it. Both are great guns in my experience.

Ruger LCP - True pocket pistol. Snappy though and we're back to .380

Taurus TCP - I had great luck with mine...see Ruger reasons above.

Keltec P3 - Same as above (TCP, LCP) I still have the .32 ACP version and I like it, but I wouldn't use it for offense with an animal...mainly just hoping the bang keeps whatever is after you at bay...

Smith J-frame - This is a great small gun that you can get in really big calibers. I have a model 60 in .357 and it's a handful to say the least. It is also my assured "someone or something is getting hurt if they get shot by it" pocket carry.

I would strongly advise you handle some and see what works best for you. I love the G42/43 series from Glock, but it's too big for a non-printing pocket option for me. I absolutely love the Walther CCP...it's just a little large to pocket carry and feel good. Keep in mind though...that's my feelings with it. I've talked to guys who swear they pocket carry G26's and do just fine. To each their own, I guess.

Originally Posted By: Al

LOL you're obviously guessing you don't even know me!
But nice try.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Yes , get a wheel gun .

Why?.... Because 5 or 6 shots is better than 15. And why would anyone want a pistol that can be reloaded in less than 2 seconds?

Because , in my mind , a wheel gun is more reliable and does not nee a safety for a doubble action revolver . And , if the person can hit what he / she aims with , I doubt there is a need for 15 rounds .

Originally Posted By: Al

But nice try.

It's not required to know someone personally, to understand they are preaching misinformation.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Because , in my mind , a wheel gun is more reliable and does not nee a safety for a doubble action revolver . And , if the person can hit what he / she aims with , I doubt there is a need for 15 rounds .

Look at what law enforcement and the military carried 100 years ago in regards to sidearms. And look at what they carry today. Therein lies your answer.

But nice try.

I KNOW you have not shot wheels guns a lot or you would not have said they don't jam.
But as a practical matter neither of us knows if the other has ever touched a firearm before

The basic point was the firing failure rate of revolvers is much lower than of semi-autos. One factor that determines semi-auto correct functionality is the ammo used. Revolvers are not ammo finicky. Semi-autos can not feed, jam, etc on certain ammo. Also, revolvers are not as sensitive to lack of cleaning and maintenance. Overall, revolvers are less finicky and more reliable.

They are also a no-brainer to operate. Don't have to rack the slide, or worry about taking a safety off. Just point and pull the trigger. I always recommend a revolver as a first handgun, and they make a reliable no-brainer home protection gun to operate in a stressful situation if it should ever arise.

I have a compact .22lr revolver specifically because it does not jam nearly as much as a semi-auto pistol. I know rimfire is particularly prone to misfiring and jamming, but I don't need to hear anyone telling me not to carry a .22.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The basic point was the firing failure rate of revolvers is much lower than of semi-autos. One factor that determines semi-auto correct functionality is the ammo used. Revolvers are not ammo finicky. Semi-autos can not feed, jam, etc on certain ammo. Also, revolvers are not as sensitive to lack of cleaning and maintenance. Overall, revolvers are less finicky and more reliable.

They are also a no-brainer to operate. Don't have to rack the slide, or worry about taking a safety off. Just point and pull the trigger. I always recommend a revolver as a first handgun, and they make a reliable no-brainer home protection gun to operate in a stressful situation if it should ever arise.
. ^ This..

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
Sig P238

Animals are smarter than people, they will leave after the noise and or pain.
+1 Outstanding firearm. Wife has 1 and I have 1. Never an issue

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
OP here, I got out to the range today and rented the glock 42, glock 43, LCP, j frame smith. I loved the glock 42 however lcp fits my pocket better. G43 was nice but snappy and I hated the recoil on the j frame unfortunately. I picked up an lcp for $200 plus tax at my local store.
Thank you all for your help!

o.p., how is the lcp for you? did you get the updated model? imho a 380acp lcp is too snappy for much meaningful practice, i wish that ruger would offer a 32acp lcp.

my pants pocket pistols are a naa guardian 32acp or naa mini 22lr, or in jacket pockets a s&w 642 38sp (wadcutter ammo only), ruger lcr 22lr or bond arms derringer 410/45lc. i like the b.a. without a trigger guard when im wearing gloves out in the winter woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back