Plumber Question: Shut Off Valve For Toilet

Follow up. It appears that the shut off valve is cracked and leaking on one side. I can't imagine how this happened unless it is because it is a cheap make in China cast component that failed at a seam. I double checked and the water droplets are not emanating from the feed line connection. Also on this model from Keeney there is no packing nut assembly.
So it is off to the hardware store and hopefully they will stock a quality brass valve with chrome plating. This Keeney valve may even be made of plastic. Here's a pic. You can see a drip heading down the left side of the valve.
Most places stock Chicom or the “DIY” grade BrassCraft 1/4 turns. I read Oatey bought out Keeney and Dearborn Brass.

if you can get one of these, it’s 99% as nice as the Dahl without having to call every supply house in town.

A few things:
- no thread tape or pipe dope on a compression fitting
- concur with replacing with a good, all brass 1/4 turn replacement. I got the aforementioned Brasscraft all brass type from Supplyhouse.com.
- Sharkbite would be a perfectly good option, they're very nicely made. You'll need their deburring and depth measurement tool.
- Note on a compression fitting sometimes that little brass ferrule will be stuck on the pipe good - one of the things that'll turn this from a 20 minute job to a 4 hour job. If you have enough pipe, it may be easier to just cut the pipe behind the ferrule and put the new valve on there. If you don't have much pipe you may want to have a ferrule puller on hand before you start. If you don't need it you can just return it.

jeff

Hard to tell if that is plastic or not. Usually the weight will give it away. If it is metal it might be cheap pot metal.

I will pick up a compression ring/ferrule puller tool at the hardware store along with a new valve. I suspect that the leaking valve is made from cast pot metal. Here is a photo I took of the bottom side, you can clearly see the seam from the mold. Every shut off valve in the house is the same type, I'll keep a close eye on them in case another one fails. It's lucky that the one that failed was in a visible location, if one of them failed under a sink it could do a lot of damage before it was discovered. In fact It's probably a good idea that I pick up a spare valve too.

Attachments

• Valve Bottom 2.JPG
    Valve Bottom 2.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 16
I will pick up a compression ring/ferrule puller tool at the hardware store along with a new valve. I suspect that the leaking valve is made from cast pot metal. Here is a photo I took of the bottom side, you can clearly see the seam from the mold. Every shut off valve in the house is the same type, I'll keep a close eye on them in case another one fails. It's lucky that the one that failed was in a visible location, if one of them failed under a sink it could do a lot of damage before it was discovered. In fact It's probably a good idea that I pick up a spare valve too.
No need to buy a ferrule puller. Buy another valve the same size as what you have. Remove the old valve and bolt up the new valve onto the existing nut with ferrule. It's actually that simple. I have had to do this before, with NO leaks.

Back