Please read that plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Terry. I will of course follow your advice. Hopefully Bruce and Mola will chime in, too.

If I pulled those plugs in the shop, I would have to look for what caused it. There are MANY problems that could make them ultimately look like that.
Ignition, oil control, bad thermostat, poor fuel, or excess richness, are some that would have to be checked.

Well, mechtech, let's see:

Ignition -- one dual coil shorted out
oil control -- the valve stem seals have been getting increasingly worse for the past 70k or so miles
bad thermostat -- absolutely not the case
poor fuel -- I can't know for sure if Shell V-Power of Chevron Supreme is really in the tank. I only can hope.
excess richness -- it's an Audi 12v engine. It's a fat pig of an engine. A hardwired A/F meter confirms that. The 12v doesn''t even shut down FI immediately when you go off the gas.

Okay, who's going to give me advice when I R&R the heads in the fall? I'll have to do head gaskets, valve stem seals/guides, timing belt (wp, thermo, etc), and I'll have to degree my cams. Wheeee!
wink.gif

The picture is more typical for valve seals issue. This is the first idea that comes. Rings issue may be too, but less probable. As for external causes, I would not exclude a gasoline quality: bad composition or, may be, even dilution with a gasoil.

Irrespective of the cause, I would try slightly hotter plugs as a temporary solution. Besides, in case of high deposits it's preferable to use plugs with one-ground electrode.

Gee, all I knew was that the little white crusties on the second plug are NOT from overheating, but are ash deposits from the motor oil. I've forgotten now which color means what element.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back