Please rank these oils for my upcoming OCIs

I'm a huge advocate for Havoline Pro DS Full Synthetic Eco 6qt cardboard box @ wally world for $19 and some change.
I was a user of Havoline in my trucks from the late 70s thru 90s. Havoline was owned and made by Texaco. At some point in the last 20 years it disappeared from my area. I thought they went out of business but learned that Chevron took them over years back. Why they left this regions stores I don't know? With so many changes in mega corporations, mergers and aquisitions etc I assumed someone bought them and just closed them down as happens all over. Havoline had a long time , near 20 year sponsored very successful top team in NASCAR before they vanished.

Ya, everytime I hear/see/think havoline I get a mental image of the NASCAR race car from back in the day (90's) with the black, red, yellow ish paint scheme driven by Ernie Irvin I believe @ the time. I loved that paint scheme back in the day and still do lol. But back to the Havoline Pro DS Full Synthetic Motor Oil in the 6qt eco box that is a helluva deal win win!! All day long as far as im concerned been using it for about a year now and love it great stuff :)

Ya, everytime I hear/see/think havoline I get a mental image of the NASCAR race car from back in the day (90's) with the black, red, yellow ish paint scheme driven by Ernie Irvin I believe @ the time. I loved that paint scheme back in the day and still do lol. But back to the Havoline Pro DS Full Synthetic Motor Oil in the 6qt eco box that is a helluva deal win win!! All day long as far as im concerned been using it for about a year now and love it great stuff :)
You wouldn't recall a race I think Davey Allison won in that #28 Havoline car just beating out Kyle Petty & DW by crossing the finish line backwards and uncounsoious after he and Kyle smacked into each other.!? It was a night race. But I tell you Ernie Irvin put some folks on the edge of their seats driving the wheels off that black car a lot until his sad accident that eventually caused his retirement. Oh boy those were some fun races to watch before they created clone cars of today. I pretty much only watch 2 - 3 races a year anymore if that many. Always the Daytona 500 +the Oct Talladega race. I do enjoy the Indy 500 on Memorial Day weekend when I OD on racing as I will watch the Indy 500 and then the NASCAR Coke 600 race later that same evening. We used to make the drive with sons when they still lived at home to the Atlanta Motor Speedway once a year. I lost a lot of interest when they started making so many changes each year you almost need a rule book. What really killed it for me too is when it started to get hard to see the difference in the cars on the track. The cars all look alike today.

Attachments

• havoline28carallison.jpg
    havoline28carallison.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 5
  • davey-allison-scored-his-first-nascar-cup-victory-in-the-news-photo-1638985347.jpg
    davey-allison-scored-his-first-nascar-cup-victory-in-the-news-photo-1638985347.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
You wouldn't recall a race I think Davey Allison won in that #28 Havoline car just beating out Kyle Petty & DW by crossing the finish line backwards and uncounsoious after he and Kyle smacked into each other.!? It was a night race. But I tell you Ernie Irvin put some folks on the edge of their seats driving the wheels off that black car a lot until his sad accident that eventually caused his retirement. Oh boy those were some fun races to watch before they created clone cars of today. I pretty much only watch 2 - 3 races a year anymore if that many. Always the Daytona 500 +the Oct Talladega race. I do enjoy the Indy 500 on Memorial Day weekend when I OD on racing as I will watch the Indy 500 and then the NASCAR Coke 600 race later that same evening. We used to make the drive with sons when they still lived at home to the Atlanta Motor Speedway once a year. I lost a lot of interest when they started making so many changes each year you almost need a rule book. What really killed it for me too is when it started to get hard to see the difference in the cars on the track. The cars all look alike today.

That was the 92 Charlotte night race... The Winston.

One Hot Night...

And Dale Earnhardt was involved not DW... Dale drove down on Kyle's door going down the back stretch forcing Kyle and himself into the dust .... Which totally screwed up their entry into turn 3... Kyle turned Dale into the turn 3 wall.... Lost his momentum coming out of 3 into turn 4 and Davey caught Kyle in the dogleg.... Kyle and Davey did bounce off each other and Kyle turned Davey after the finish line by hitting Davey in the right rear quarter panel.... Turning him head first into the wall in the dogleg.

There's a satellite feed video of this race and during the commercial break Buddy Baker clearly states Kyle turned Davey on purpose. Though Buddy Baker did not say that on live TV... That's what makes those satellite feed races so interesting to watch. . . You hear what the commentators really think.

That was the 92 Charlotte night race... The Winston.

One Hot Night...

And Dale Earnhardt was involved not DW... Dale drove down on Kyle's door going down the back stretch forcing Kyle and himself into the dust .... Which totally screwed up their entry into turn 3... Kyle turned Dale into the turn 3 wall.... Lost his momentum coming out of 3 into turn 4 and Davey caught Kyle in the dogleg.... Kyle and Davey did bounce off each other and Kyle turned Davey after the finish line by hitting Davey in the right rear quarter panel.... Turning him head first into the wall in the dogleg.

There's a satellite feed video of this race and during the commercial break Buddy Baker clearly states Kyle turned Davey on purpose. Though Buddy Baker did not say that on live TV... That's what makes those satellite feed races so interesting to watch. . . You hear what the commentators really think.
Wow, thanks. How time flies. Its crazy to relize that was so long ago. Those were some of my favorite times watching NASCAR after the years of Richard Petty vs Bobby Allison vs David Pearson vs Cale and Donnie Allison. It is very sad we don't get to see real competetive racing anymore like those times. Today it seems like wathcing a section of crowded traffic on the interstates. Its so different to me today.

Yeah man you are right...

I was in high school when that happened in 92....

Seriously watch the satellite feed races on SMIFF on YouTube.... A lot of fun hearing what those guys really thought.

The 1990 spring North Wilkesboro race is hilarious around the 2 hour and 40 minute mark....

And the spring Rockingham race in 1993 is a great listen and watch too... Mike Joy, Buddy Baker and Neil Bonnet are fantastic.

Yeah man you are right...

I was in high school when that happened in 92....

Seriously watch the satellite feed races on SMIFF on YouTube.... A lot of fun hearing what those guys really thought.

The 1990 spring North Wilkesboro race is hilarious around the 2 hour and 40 minute mark....

And the spring Rockingham race in 1993 is a great listen and watch too... Mike Joy, Buddy Baker and Neil Bonnet are fantastic.
I used to watch Neil Bonnet's Tv show each week. Such a shame he got back in a race car after so many years. He and his good pal Dale E went out the same way. In their cars. One at practice and one in a race. I will check out the youtube you mentioned, Thank you.

Unpopular and boring, but correct answer:

Use whatever you grab first. As long as your cars have no specific requirements beyond weight, it doesn't matter. They will not care and won't notice any difference between any of them.
Gotta make it more interesting than that! Tell the store employee that you want them to go select an oil, without telling you what they choose and why, while you peruse oil filters or something else somewhere in the store.

I'm doing short interval OCIs on many vehicles, all based on time (6-12 months) with low miles (500-1000 or so miles each). Filters replaced about every 12-18 months or about every 2-3 oil changes. Here's my oil inventory to pick from and I'm curious what the crowd says may be the ranking based on your experience/information. I'm not opposed to using synthetic blends given the low miles I put on these vehicles.

Vehicles are all 10+ years old and high miles qualifying.

Any opinions on anything you personally really like and had great results with or do not care for or had bad results with, for CURRENT or recent API SN or NS+ categories?

5w20/0w20. It does get sub zero here but may not ever get low enough for 0w20 to be needed, but I can use it and am leaning toward putting a 0w20 before winter and then returning to 5w20 in spring.
* Quaker State FS High Mile 0w20
* Carquest FS 0w20
* Castrol Edge FS black bottle with titanium 0w20
* Castrol Edge FS extended protection 5w20
* Pennzoil FS high mile 5w20
* Pennzoil synthetic blend 5w20
* Carquest (now Fram) FS 5w20
* Valvoline FS Maxlife 5w20
* Costco FS 5w20
* Mobil1 FS High Miles 5w20

5w30
* Quaker State FS High Miles 5w30
* Mobil1 Advanced FS 5w30
* Mobil1 Extended Protection High Miles FS 5w30
* Mobil1 High Miles FS 5w30
* Pennzoil FS high miles 5w30
* Pennzoil synthetic blend 5w30
* Chevron synthetic blend 5w30
* Havoline synthetic blend 5w30
* Valvoline Maxlife synthetic blend 5w30
* Costco FS 5w30
* Carquest FS 5w30
Any of those oils I would not bat an eye running them 5000 miles!

* Costco FS 5w20

* Mobil1 Advanced FS 5w30
* Mobil1 Extended Protection High Miles FS 5w30
* Mobil1 High Miles FS 5w30
* Chevron synthetic blend 5w30
* Havoline synthetic blend 5w30
* Valvoline Maxlife synthetic blend 5w30
* Costco FS 5w30
I say stay 'native' 🇺🇲...

I'm doing short interval OCIs on many vehicles, all based on time (6-12 months) with low miles (500-1000 or so miles each). Filters replaced about every 12-18 months or about every 2-3 oil changes. Here's my oil inventory to pick from and I'm curious what the crowd says may be the ranking based on your experience/information. I'm not opposed to using synthetic blends given the low miles I put on these vehicles.

Vehicles are all 10+ years old and high miles qualifying.

Any opinions on anything you personally really like and had great results with or do not care for or had bad results with, for CURRENT or recent API SN or NS+ categories?

5w20/0w20. It does get sub zero here but may not ever get low enough for 0w20 to be needed, but I can use it and am leaning toward putting a 0w20 before winter and then returning to 5w20 in spring.
* Quaker State FS High Mile 0w20
* Carquest FS 0w20
* Castrol Edge FS black bottle with titanium 0w20
* Castrol Edge FS extended protection 5w20
* Pennzoil FS high mile 5w20
* Pennzoil synthetic blend 5w20
* Carquest (now Fram) FS 5w20
* Costco FS 5w20

5w30
* Quaker State FS High Miles 5w30