please list the filters that have a silicone adbv

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting to think the regular adbv's in most filters will not last for a 5k run without leaking. I noticed on my 01 impala with 3.8 and with the supertech or ac delco filter it starts making noise at startup around 2-3k. Just for the heck of it i put a new oil filter on and did not change the oil and startup noise is gone.
I took apart the supertech filter and the adbv does seem soft and distorted.
Just thinking a silicone adbv may be more inportant thank i thought
confused.gif

Quote:

I would not buy a filter without silicone adbv, it's too important IMO.

I am starting to think that also.
If your drainback valve leaks the oil could flow the wrong way in the filer and wash some of the particles off of the filter media when you shut your engine down and then when you start it when the oil is cold the filter may go into bypass and the particles in the bottom of the filter can are going to flow right into the engine. ??
Am I thinking correctly?

The problem i had that last time i ran a filter W/O a SADBV
is chatter on start up where some oil drained back through the ADBV and emptied the filter some, never a problem now that i've been using M1's..

i don't think that could happen to easily what you described.

Quote:

...with the supertech or ac delco filter...

You already realize it, but there's some of your problem right there. I wouldn't run either of those past 3,000 miles, not only because of the ADBV, but also because of the e-core design.

Just as it is with a Fram, there are better filters out there, for not a whole lot more money.

I would not rely on a list. I've seen to many variations across a brand.

Just look into the small holes in the base. See Red = silicon. See Black - nitrle.

Up to ~5K I don't worry unless I have a problem.

Can you post a picture of the used ST media ?

If your drainback valve leaks the oil could flow the wrong way in the filter and wash some of the particles off of the filter media when you shut your engine down and then when you start it when the oil is cold the filter may go into bypass and the particles in the bottom of the filter can are going to flow right into the engine. ??
Am I thinking correctly?

Is this possible? some expert help please
grin.gif
patriot.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Motorcraft uses silicone valves, but I can't say for sure tht ALL of their filters have them.

I believe the silicon ADBV Motorcrafts have numbers ending in "S"

this is correct, very few of their filters use silicone. you can tell because the part number ends in s.

Quote:

I believe the silicon ADBV Motorcrafts have numbers ending in "S"

Not all of them..only those filters that were ever made without a silicone ADBV, namely the FL-820S and FL-400S, and this is only to distinguish the older filter from the new one.

Filters made by Motorcraft for newer applications can include a silicone valve but no S at the end of the part number. This includes the filter specified for the Zetec engine.

So, to recap, Motorcraft filter numbers that end in "S" contain a silicone anti-drainback valve and were once made with a regular nitrile valve, and had a part number without an S at the end.

There are Motorcraft filter numbers that do not end in "S" but do contain a silicone anti-drainback valve. At least the one I saw is for a Zetec engine application, probably a newer filter number/application for that engine.

My niece has a '99 Ford Contour with the Zetec motor and it specs a Motorcraft FL-2005. This filter does have a silicone ADBV, however many of the "equivalents" do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back