Please help me oil recommendations!! Supercharged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Geonerd
Bearing failures on a forced induction engine?
Running more boost than stock?
I'd suggest more HTHS to bump your Stribeck curve a few notches to the left. The idea is to remain on the hydrodynamic part of the curve as often as possible. All the additives in the world won't help if you your crank or big end bearings are seeing too much boundary-layer contact.

If you want to stick with Mobil, the 0w-40 or 10-30HM both increase high temp shear to 3.6~3.7 Heck, TDT 5-40 at 3.9 won't hurt anything. 10w-40HM is 4.1. 15w-50 at 4.5 is perhaps a bit thick, but if you're seriously winding on the boost, it may be just what the bearings need.

In my supercharged GT350, Mobil 1 15w-50 was very successful for my long distance high speed endurance runs in West Texas. 140 miles non stop @ maximum rpm in the heat of the summer.

Z

Originally Posted By: zray

In my supercharged GT350, Mobil 1 15w-50 was very successful for my long distance high speed endurance runs in West Texas. 140 miles non stop @ maximum rpm in the heat of the summer.

Z

That said , I would advise the same as other, start out with Mobil 1 0w-40, if you have any doubts about its suitability, then go with something heavier.

Root type supercharger has nothing to do with oil temperature directly as long as you're not overreving the engine, its not like turbocharger and there's no oil feed-drain line. So superchargers are easier on oil than the turbochargers. However, that does not mean superchargers are also easy on engines, it would dramatically increase intake air temperature without aftercooler or proper cooling system (it's especially for supercharging naturally aspirated engines with aftermarket parts), but you have factory supercharged engine with basic mods, so that is out of question.

I'd use 0w40 or 5w40 for summer-spirited driving and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: powpowtux
Originally Posted By: Koz1
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30 for warranty and add some Hy-PerLube Zinc Replacement Additive, protects better than zinc does apparently.
Dont care about warranty try the 0w40 with the Hy-PerLube.

Oil related bearing failures, where are the reports curious.
Your car should have an extended warranty for the supercharger 10 y 120,000 miles.

two in TX in the last two months. Both seem to be some type of oil pump related "manufacturing defect"' both not warrentied due to being pullied and other modifications. So no engine really properly had a failure analysis by GM or anyone with serious FA engineering capabilities...

Hardware issues non oil related, ok.
If the engine keeps moving with no oil flow its gonna die.
So dont pulley it, even though you were going to.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Root type supercharger has nothing to do with oil temperature directly as long as you're not overreving the engine, its not like turbocharger and there's no oil feed-drain line. So superchargers are easier on oil than the turbochargers. However, that does not mean superchargers are also easy on engines,........."

Just to clarify, and maybe not the OP's case, but many superchargers do use the engine oil such as some of the modern Paxtons. In my case the superchargers I used were vintage Paxtons and had their own separate oiling system . I used synthetic B&M Trick Shift, a type F fluid , and a fluid cooler, which made all the difference in longevity.

In my case, The increased load on the engine did have a substantial effect on engine oil temperatures even though the supercharger oil was separate from the engine oil. That is the case with ANY load put on an engine. The oil temp will go up.

Z

Root type supercharger has nothing to do with oil temperature directly as long as you're not overreving the engine, its not like turbocharger and there's no oil feed-drain line. So superchargers are easier on oil than the turbochargers. However, that does not mean superchargers are also easy on engines,........."

Just to clarify, and maybe not the OP's case, but many superchargers do use the engine oil such as some of the modern Paxtons. In my case the superchargers I used were vintage Paxtons and had their own separate oiling system . I used synthetic B&M Trick Shift, a type F fluid , and a fluid cooler, which made all the difference in longevity.

In my case, The increased load on the engine did have a substantial effect on engine oil temperatures even though the supercharger oil was separate from the engine oil. That is the case with ANY load put on an engine. The oil temp will go up.

Z

Those SCs use engine oil are called centrifugal-type. This type is very similar to turbocharger and it uses engine oil. However, i mentioned roots type and it does not use engine oil.

If its a roots type supercharger, it has minimal to no "direct" effect on engine oil temperature. I would concern more about intake air temp.

Z

Those SCs use engine oil are called centrifugal-type. This type is very similar to turbocharger and it uses engine oil. However, i mentioned roots type and it does not use engine oil.

If its a roots type supercharger, it has minimal to no "direct" effect on engine oil temperature. I would concern more about intake air temp.

Correct, these TVS OEM blowers are liquid to air intercooled with a self contained synthetic oiled lubrication system. not usually serviced during life of unit.

Really appreciate all the good information I have been bestowed!

Paxton superchargers, indeed are the centrifugal type of supercharger. However, as I pointd out , some of them do use engine oil for their lubrication, some do not.

But regardless of that, you are kidding yourself,if you think the roots type supercharger does not increase the engine oil temperature as the load on the engine increases . Saying that's the Roots type of superchargerdoes not have a "direct" effect on engine oil temperature is disingenuous.

Does it really matter if the engine oil temp is raised by passing over a bearing or is raised by the increased load on the engine ? In either case, the temp will rise in direct proportion to the "work" being done by the engine.

Z

Paxton superchargers, indeed are the centrifugal type of supercharger. However, as I pointd out , some of them do use engine oil for their lubrication, some do not.

But regardless of that, you are kidding yourself,if you think the roots type supercharger does not increase the engine oil temperature as the load on the engine increases . Saying that's the Roots type of superchargerdoes not have a "direct" effect on engine oil temperature is disingenuous.

Does it really matter if the engine oil temp is raised by passing over a bearing or is raised by the increased load on the engine ? In either case, the temp will rise in direct proportion to the "work" being done by the engine.

Z

If you want to learn, google is your best friend to find out how hot does centrifugal superchargers get.

I just don't want to waste my time with you and your rude comments.

Correct, these TVS OEM blowers are liquid to air intercooled with a self contained synthetic oiled lubrication system. not usually serviced during life of unit.

Really appreciate all the good information I have been bestowed!

Thanks man, you're right that most auto manufacturers prefer roots type for reliability purposes. One of the reasons why roots type supercharger uses self contained lubrication is it spins around 15000 rpm and self contained lubrication is more than enough to handle the heat itself and it lasts veeeery long compared to the other types of forced induction.

However, centrifugal type supercharger spins more than 60000 rpm (spins at least 4x more than roots type) that means it causes more heat and it needs better lubrication. This is why you need engine oil for a centrifugal type in most cases.

If you want to learn, google is your best friend to find out how hot does centrifugal superchargers get.

That's rich. I don't need to have google as a best friend. I have installed and used centrifugal superchargers starting in 1966, and have used them even since. That's roughly 50 yeas experience using the Paxton centrifugal supercharger. Conservitively speaking , I've owned 15 Fords with a Paxton that I installed, and driven them over 600,000 miles. That doesn't even begin to mention the scores of cars that came thru my restoration shop that I installed a Paxton on.

By now I think I have a "rough" idea of every characteristic they exhibit, including heat, wear, power curve, lubrication,etc.

So it might come as a surprise, but some people actually can have experiences in the real world that they can learn from, not just googling from behind a computer keyboard

If you think my comment are harsh, go over to the needlepoint and quilting forums,mthose ladies are bad a** mean.

Z

That's rich. I don't need to have google as a best friend. I have installed and used centrifugal superchargers starting in 1966, and have used them even since. That's roughly 50 yeas experience using the Paxton centrifugal supercharger. Conservitively speaking , I've owned 15 Fords with a Paxton that I installed, and driven them over 600,000 miles. That doesn't even begin to mention the scores of cars that came thru my restoration shop that I installed a Paxton on.

By now I think I have a "rough" idea of every characteristic they exhibit, including heat, wear, power curve, lubrication,etc.

So it might come as a surprise, but some people actually can have experiences in the real world that they can learn from, not just googling from behind a computer keyboard

If you think my comment are harsh, go over to the needlepoint and quilting forums,mthose ladies are bad a** mean.

Z

No worries, i am one of those people you just mentioned. My statement was not only based on my experience, but also based on data-logs that i had in the past.

Installing and using forced induction, or having 150 fords with a jet engine doesn't really matter as long as you don't have an accurate data. You need an accurate oil temperature gauge. I personally installed aftermarket root type supercharger to a naturally aspirated engine and always used an oil temp gauge. Not only i had oil temp gauge, but also used an aftermarket ecu to check engine coolant temperature and intake air temperature.

I've learned from my experiences that root type supercharger has a huge effect on intake air temp (may increase oil temp but it is not DIRECT effect on oil temp), but minimal to no direct effect on engine coolant temp and oil temperature.

You told us how experienced you actually are, but i am trying to encourage you to use datalogs and math.

normally they would but they have beaten this horse to death and surely TVS is sharing some expense in replacing all the blowers...

There is no company called TVS. The blowers are made by Eaton. TVS is their marketing label for "Twin Vortices System".

Last edited:
"............You told us how experienced you actually are, but i am trying to encourage you to use datalogs and math.

I do know how to install an oil temp. gauge and interpret what I see on it , correlating it to rpm, engine load, horsepower, torque, and atmospheric conditions. And I can do that all in my little pointed head w/o ecu's data logging equipment, etc.

It's amazing that we old timers ever managed without all the electronic gear to ever win a race, build an engine, or wipe our a**.

When I see the oil temp go up when I add about 150 HP to a Ford 289 engine with a Paxton low boost blower, it just might have something to do with the increased load on the engine, ya think ?

Get back to me when you can tear yourself away from the fewest God Google., I know it's going to be a long wait .

Z

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
normally they would but they have beaten this horse to death and surely TVS is sharing some expense in replacing all the blowers...

There is no company called TVS. The blowers are made by Eaton. TVS is their marketing label for "Twin Vortices System".

Honestly who cares, I am not an attorney who cares what the company name is...

Z

No worries, i am one of those people you just mentioned. My statement was not only based on my experience, but also based on data-logs that i had in the past.

Installing and using forced induction, or having 150 fords with a jet engine doesn't really matter as long as you don't have an accurate data. You need an accurate oil temperature gauge. I personally installed aftermarket root type supercharger to a naturally aspirated engine and always used an oil temp gauge. Not only i had oil temp gauge, but also used an aftermarket ecu to check engine coolant temperature and intake air temperature.

I've learned from my experiences that root type supercharger has a huge effect on intake air temp (may increase oil temp but it is not DIRECT effect on oil temp), but minimal to no direct effect on engine coolant temp and oil temperature.

You told us how experienced you actually are, but i am trying to encourage you to use datalogs and math.

data logging is key. IAT is crucial. oil temps are second consideration.

OEMs are using turbos and roots blowers because centrifugals make [censored] torque down low. where most engines spend their time on the street.

OK, pardon me. As an enthusiast, I thought at least you would like to know who made your supercharger.

OK, pardon me. As an enthusiast, I thought at least you would like to know who made your supercharger.

I was just asking a question about oil. now it turned into morons trying to out acronym each other, get a life bud. you can get "twin vortices system" tattooed on ur sac! you have proven you are so much cooler and smarter than everyone here. jump in ur slowmaro and enjoy urself.

Originally Posted By: Nightmare
Schaeffer Manufacturing 9003D-012S Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic Engine Oil, 5W-30

http://www.amazon.com/Schaeffer-Manufact...2282&sr=1-4

high Moly oil

Yeah, I was thinking go with a great high-moly oil too. Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 has a big 241 ppm of trinuclear moly, a newer form of moly from Infineum. Most oils have around 75 ppm of moly. Combination of Pennzoil PurePlus with advanced moly tech should mean an excellent oil.

http://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550040856-6PK-Ultra-Platinum-Synthetic/dp/B00JMCCE6U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back