Oil recommendation for supercharged LS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 Grand Sport C6 Corvette that is supercharged, cammed, and will run on E85.

I've noticed when the car is idling and hot, oil around 230F, the oil pressure is 18psi. When cruising the lowest it gets in 35psi and under throttle the oil pressure climbs as normal.

The car currently has 10w-40 conventional in it to break in all the new valvetrain and cam but I'm going to be changing it this week.

I was considering maybe bumping up the viscosity to a 15w-50 since i live in Texas and cold weather is never a problem. But I'm concerned the factory tolerances for the bottom end could be too tight for a heavier oil.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I don't see a issue using a 15W50 for this application. It won't be too thick just ensure it at temp before you WOT for a pass.

Originally Posted by avi1777
red line and only red line.

Actually Redline produced consecutive terrible UOA's in a LS Corvette. Shows there is no best oil. M1 15W50 will work as well as any and better than most in this application.

Originally Posted by VVVROOMTX
I was considering maybe bumping up the viscosity to a 15w-50 since i live in Texas and cold weather is never a problem. But I'm concerned the factory tolerances for the bottom end could be too tight for a heavier oil.
I'm not sure it works that way. I get that an engine builder sets loose tolerances and specs a thick oil, but if inverse were true there would be warnings in your manual and on your oil cap. BMW and Ford spec 50 or heavier in their performance models, so I think you are OK to run a 50 in the Texas heat.
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif

Welcome to the board!

Maybe a killer ACEA THINNER grade if allowed. and you not on the track and toasting the oil.

Look at you info screen and get your oil temp right after a hard romp. if its well under 190 your 40 grade is plenty thick.

Using a 50 grade = at least 20 -30 ft-lbs HP gone to heat not the wheels - at mid rpm - maybe more

Last edited:
I second Redline, run a couple uoa's for yourself. It is just a brand, there are a couple clone oils as well motul 300v, Ravenol and Millers, I would look at the ester/pao based stuff with high additives for that. They hold up better with the heat and protect that cam at hot idle with high additives. I would ask this on the Corvette forum as well, there seams to be a lot of baggage when it comes to brands here. UOA's are useless until after around 25k miles until the new engine parts are broken in. Also, there isn't an oil in the world that doesn't have a bad uoa out there, and then you can find 100 of that same oil with great uoa's. Just two weeks ago we had two guys that ran long term uoa's in the 390hp hemi with redline and they were near spotless. You have one of the best production cars made, invest in a lubrication strategy and at some point back it up with a uoa with tbn and tan. Redline may not be the best choice for every day vehicles, but for HP vehicles it is a top choice.

The lower end must be clearanced for normal metal expansion at max foreseeable temps. So that means rods and mains at least 0.0025, prolly a bit more. That is 30 grade territory at say 180*. Seeing as your engine runs a fair bit warmer, I'd say the 50 at the the higher temps is doable ... But I would not do it.

I would prolly run a Euro grade 0W-40 and call it good, unless you are doing track days ... Track days (road courses) can get the oil temp even higher, so the 50 is called for as it's thin enough at the elevated temps. But you will not be getting that hot on the street.

I think most folks are getting good UOA's from Castrol, so I might start there
smile.gif

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by VVVROOMTX
I'm not sure it works that way. I get that an engine builder sets loose tolerances and specs a thick oil, but if inverse were true there would be warnings in your manual and on your oil cap. BMW and Ford spec 50 or heavier in their performance models, so I think you are OK to run a 50 in the Texas heat.
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif

Welcome to the board!

Ok sounds good! Which 15w-50 would you recommend? M1

Some additional info, This cars setup is capable of 750-800 RWHP and will be used for drag racing occasionally and street racing/cruising most of its life. Its a weekend car

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I thought thicker oil produced more heat in the oil? What does the OM call for? Your oil pressures are great.

OEM GM specs 5w-30 oil for all of the GenIV LS engines. I believe its 5w30 because needs to meet largely varying types of climates and only the GM factory horsepower levels.

I was curious what the C6 ZR1 has spec'd. It looks like 5w30 for that variant of the LS3 (LS9) with a supercharger. Of course it looks like you are putting out more HP than the factory ZR1 was.

What does the oil temp get to when you're getting on it? Does the N/A LS3 have a factory oil cooler?

Post some pics of this beast!

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
I was curious what the C6 ZR1 has spec'd. It looks like 5w30 for that variant of the LS3 (LS9) with a supercharger. Of course it looks like you are putting out more HP than the factory ZR1 was.

What does the oil temp get to when you're getting on it? Does the N/A LS3 have a factory oil cooler?

Post some pics of this beast!

Haven't been able to make a solid hit yet as tuning isn't finished, i dont even have any worth while pics to post either lol

Ill make good on the pictures soon

My vote would be for either Castrol 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 here. Although if you can find Pennzoil Euro 5w40 that would also be a good choice. I would stay away from anything thicker.

+1 on the M1 15-50. Unless you want to run the ragged edge of performance for prize money. The speculation that it may cost XX horsepower is a worthwhile trade-off for XX in mechanical longevity. ...also has a stout add pack that worked great in my old LS4 and more than I can count other on/offroad vehicles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back