VW 2.8 VR6 Engine with Vortech V9 Supercharger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some recommendations here for my 2000 GTI 2.8 VR6 (AFP) with a Stage 1 Vortech V9 Supercharger (6 psi).

1. What kind of vehicle you have --- 2000 VW GTI 2.8 VR6 (AFP) with a Stage 1.
2. What your owner's manual says -- VW 502 I'm sure A3/B4, but in 2000 ?, but Castrol 5w40 was FF. Had oil chart based on ambient temperatures. in 2000, ranging from 5w-30, 5w-50, 5w40, 10w40, 15w40, 15w50
3. Where you live ---New England. Ranging from (-)5* F - 105* F)
4. How you drive? fast... under 2.5k until warm and then all out after warm up
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) ---- all of the above. 20 mile commute one way. traffic. occasional 100-300 miles trip. I would have to say more short trip, like 5-10 mile than hiwy.
Oil does usually get to operating temp. usually 190-210* F.
6. Whether your car has any known problems--- Mainly concerned about protecting the supercharger in relation to my oil choice.

THe car has 101,000 miles on it. about 50k on the supercharger. It's a Vortech V9 belt driven centrifugal S/C. It shares the same oil as the engine. Rated for max 55k rpm.

Wondering what oil people recommend???

Concerned about start-up wear in engine, but especially in the charger/impeller, but also during hard driving, I don't race or track it. heavy street use. would like heavy oil film for S/C bearings, but also for timing chain.

Previous owner "said" that the blower didn't like OEM Castrol 5w40 and he mainly used Castrol Syntec 10w40.

Now some very respected people that deal with VW's a lot and specifically the V9 blower and VR6 applications say this about oil from their website:

"Oil Changes
Race / High Boost Applications: Every track day or 3,000 miles.
Street Applications: 3,000 miles.

Recommended oil weight: 15w50 or 10w60 depending on your climate.

Oil changes should be treated as a preventative maintenance measure. Oil is not only the blood of the engine, but the supercharger as well. Being a mechanical component the supercharger requires quality lubrication. The weight of the oil is just as important as the intervals it sees. Low weight oil will lead to premature bearing failure and seal wear. "

What do you think about recommending such thick oils? Are they correct?

I'm currently using 15w-50 and I get about 30 p.s.i. hot idle (Bentley says 30 min. psi) and 80+ p.s.i. on start up. I see 230* F often on highway and traffic. VR6 tend to run hot.

I'm probably seeing reduced fuel economy and not sure about all the extra zinc in relation to my cat. I've run it past 3,000 miles currently and have noticed pressure drop, but still around 20-30 psi at hot idle. Doesn't have as such a high OP at start up compared to when oil was new due to oil shear and fuel dilution. I'm not sure if the 15w-50 is causing unnecessary OP and is it even applicable in this set-up.

I have tons of 15w-50 left and drove with it last winter in CT. Seemed O.K at start-up. I have 3x 5L jugs of 0w-40 SN and like 40 qts of 15w-50 SL. not new SN. lol

For this winter, should I try Ow-40 and see if it consumes it or stay with 15w-50 or in the middle with Mobil 1 5w-50. (I can get a NAPA) but will have to buy more oil. (ahhh shucks) Or go with a nice full synthetic 10w40, like a M1 10w40 HM?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back