Please help me oil recommendations!! Supercharged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and thx in advance!

I have a 2013 Cadillac CTS-V with 20,000 mi so far. Factory supercharged, with cold air intake and exhaust modifications. Soon I plan further modifications to increase boost, etc... I live in AZ where the car sees extreme temperatures and I drive usually fairly spirited with full throttle blasts daily.... I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic 5-W30 and Mobil1 filter, Changing at or before 15% left on OIL life indicator. I have a Blackstone analysis done which found nothing irregular and I cannot find a way to attach the report.

I am asking because some have been reporting oil related bearing failures, some say oils with "higher zinc levels" than the Mobil 1 are recommended. Looking for other opinions as to the oil recommended for this car.

Thx!

Manual has recommended 5-W30, "Useonlyengineoillicensedtothedexos1specification,or equivalent,of theproperSAEviscositygrade.ACDelcodexos1SyntheticBlendis recommended." Also, "SAE5W-30isthebestviscosity gradeforthevehicle.Donotuse otherviscositygradeoilssuchas SAE10W-30,10W-40,or20W-50. ColdTemperatureOperation:Inan areaofextremecold,wherethe temperaturefallsbelow−29°C (−20°F),anSAE0W-30oilmaybe used.Anoilofthisviscositygrade willprovideeasiercoldstartingfor SAE5W-30isthebestviscosity gradeforthevehicle.Donotuse otherviscositygradeoilssuchas SAE10W-30,10W-40,or20W-50. ColdTemperatureOperation:Inan areaofextremecold,wherethe temperaturefallsbelow−29°C (−20°F),anSAE0W-30oilmaybe used.Anoilofthisviscositygrade willprovideeasiercoldstartingfor theengineatextremelylow temperatures.Whenselectinganoil oftheappropriateviscositygrade, alwaysselectanoilofthecorrect specification. temperatures.Whenselectinganoil oftheappropriateviscositygrade, alwaysselectanoilofthecorrect specification."

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you considered Mobil 1 0W-40? After the upgrades, there's always 15W-50, which can added to the 0W-40 IF need be.

Do you know what temperature your oil is seeing during spirited driving sessions in the hot Arizona summers?

Wide open throttle and forced induction in Arizona? I'd want something with very good resistance to thermal breakdown and shear.
Redline or Motul would be good choices
smile.gif

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30 for warranty and add some Hy-PerLube Zinc Replacement Additive, protects better than zinc does apparently.
Dont care about warranty try the 0w40 with the Hy-PerLube.

Oil related bearing failures, where are the reports curious.
Your car should have an extended warranty for the supercharger 10 y 120,000 miles.

The choice is simple and obvious. M1 0W-40. Start trending UOAs. If the 40 is shearing, move up to M1 5W-50. I highly doubt that will be necessary.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30 for warranty and add some Hy-PerLube Zinc Replacement Additive, protects better than zinc does apparently.

If we care about the warranty, adding an additive would kind of defeat the purpose.
wink.gif

Good question.

This is a tough one for sure. Is there a type of Mobil 1 5w-30 that carries the right GM approval as well as Honda HTO-06? If so, that's what I'd use (along with oil changes at 50% on the OLM) while in warranty. After the warranty period, I'd have to have a good long think...

With more modifications, the warranty may not be any good any more. Check with your dealer.

Mobil 1 0w40 should meet your needs. Somebody else already gave you that recommendation also.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

If we care about the warranty, adding an additive would kind of defeat the purpose.
wink.gif

Good question.

This is a tough one for sure. Is there a type of Mobil 1 5w-30 that carries the right GM approval as well as Honda HTO-06? If so, that's what I'd use (along with oil changes at 50% on the OLM) while in warranty. After the warranty period, I'd have to have a good long think...

M1 5-30 carries both of those specs. M1 5-30 is one of the best 5-30 oils out there. Your engine does not call for higher ZDDP.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
The choice is simple and obvious. M1 0W-40. Start trending UOAs. If the 40 is shearing, move up to M1 5W-50. I highly doubt that will be necessary.
And why does he need ZERO W 40 in an Arizona climate? I can see the use of it in the frozen north.

Bearing failures on a forced induction engine?
Running more boost than stock?
I'd suggest more HTHS to bump your Stribeck curve a few notches to the left. The idea is to remain on the hydrodynamic part of the curve as often as possible. All the additives in the world won't help if you your crank or big end bearings are seeing too much boundary-layer contact.

If you want to stick with Mobil, the 0w-40 or 10-30HM both increase high temp shear to 3.6~3.7 Heck, TDT 5-40 at 3.9 won't hurt anything. 10w-40HM is 4.1. 15w-50 at 4.5 is perhaps a bit thick, but if you're seriously winding on the boost, it may be just what the bearings need.

Last edited:
Really? What a ridiculous question.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
And why does he need ZERO W 40 in an Arizona climate? I can see the use of it in the frozen north.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

The 0w-40 has a higher viscosity than 5w-30, so just the opposite of your assumption. It's also a more robust oil with a higher group IV content.

I doubt that zinc (Or more accurately, ZDDP) does much to protect from bearing failure. It's purpose is more to protect hard surfaces, camshafts and cam followers, and perhaps piston rings and cylinder walls, specifically. It really is not intended to protect softer metals, like bearing shells.

Film strength is the best protection from bearing failure. In the case of modern main and rod bearings, if you are counting on ZDDP you have already lost. ZDDP does its work when parts touch. Bearing material banging the crank is the definition of bearing failure.

Mobil 1 5W/30 in its various flavors is plenty robust, for a 30 weight. So......If you actually get the motor hot, then Mobil 1 0W/40 would be a good bet. Check to see what they recommend in Europe, and the middle east. I bet 40 weight is on the list, there.

Dont care about warranty try the 0w40 with the Hy-PerLube.

Your car should have an extended warranty for the supercharger 10 y 120,000 miles.

two in TX in the last two months. Both seem to be some type of oil pump related "manufacturing defect"' both not warrentied due to being pullied and other modifications. So no engine really properly had a failure analysis by GM or anyone with serious FA engineering capabilities...

Last edited:
Very good, so far the exact discussion i was looking for.

Just FYI, yes GM has extended the warranty on the blowers and mine has already been replaced due to bearing failure at around 12k mi.

There is a current TSB if the blower makes hardly any noise it is to be replaced. so lots of used TVS 1.9l CTSV blowers showing up on CL and ebay or in forums due to GM not requiring the dealer return the bad part. normally they would but they have beaten this horse to death and surely TVS is sharing some expense in replacing all the blowers...

M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40, both sound like they'd be perfect for you. But check your owners manual to make sure you're not doing anything the dealership would question you about in the event of a warranty claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back