PlayStation VR - If You Like Games You Need One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a big price drop on psvr, not a bad time to pick one up if you already have a PS4. Had mine since Dec 2017. Really quite remarkable how a 5.7" OLED screen slaved to two non-fresnel lenses in a face mounted headset with full motion tracking can create such an authentic stereoscopic 360 degree 3D virtual environment. Has built on ear buds that pipe full positional 3D sound synced to the motion tracking, into your head as well.

I grew up in the 70's watching re-runs of the original Star Trek series and was a bit of a science fiction nerd as a kid. It is pretty dog gone cool to put on the psvr and sit in Capt Kirk's chair on the bridge of the Enterprise, look around in full enveloping 360 degree 3D and command the crew (w/ voice commands!!)... or man a crew station. They did a great job re-creating every detail of the bridge. There's also an updated ship, USS Aegis, you can operate which has the design and feel of the ships in the more recent Star Trek movies.

Of course there are myriad other pure VR games available, but the trek one is my favorite for when I have a random hour with nothing to do and it's not nice outside, or I'm not spending time with my fiancée. Fire phasers !!
laugh.gif

This technology has huge potential for tactical shooter games, too. There's a few out that are so-so but a new one soon to release called Firewall looks promising. Think Rainbow 6 or SWAT stuff but in virtual reality where you might hear your adversaries (other players online, or AI if solo) moving around behind you or etc. There's a AIM controller you hold that's similar shape to a small cal full auto weapon to help make more real feel to holding the fully detailed 3D gun in-game, be it an MP5 or other type.
39.gif

You look like an idiot when playing psvr ... but you're enveloped in the 3d virtual world. What is shown on the 2D tv screen is only the frontal view of what player is seeing (where they're looking) in the full 360 3D environment they're immersed in:

Glad you like it. I'd be motion sick in 30 seconds or less.

There are going to be issues as VR headsets/3D become training tools for jobs and some people aren't going to be able to use them.

At least on the PC, VR motion sickness has been pretty much cured. Developers have learned what kind of things make people sick, and the good ones avoid them, or make them optional.

Primarily it's joystick rotation and uncontrolled motion (e.g. rollercoasters) that you need to avoid. Other kinds of motion, and controlled motion in a cockpit (e.g. in a flight simulator or driving game) affect far less people.

My wife bought me a PS4 Pro and PSVR for a retirement gift!--it's awesome! I've done some of the demos on VR and have SkyRim, but I'm really waiting for Ace Combat 7 to debut. My wife and I both enjoying various games together. I expect to use it more in the winter time. Imagine what we'll have in 10 years! https://youtu.be/Mpgwu-xpG5w

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back