plastic trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend has 05 Jeep with the black-gray plastic fender extentions which needs some help. What is the best product to restore and protect and last. Do not want something that will wash off the first time you wash it.
I've heard of a product, Back to Black??? not sure who makes it or if it's any good.

A real time-saver for busy detailers!

Stoner products have been used by car care professionals for over twenty years because they save time and deliver the results their customers expect. With Stoner’s “spray and walk away” formulas, detailing is simple and faster than ever, which enables the pros to work more efficiently. Stoner Trim Shine is no exception to the Stoner rule.

Stoner Trim Shine restores the color and luster to vinyl, rubber, and plastic trim pieces in just seconds. It instantly shines and brightens door gaskets, running boards, convertible tops, dashboards, bumpers, seats, hoses, and more. It even hides white wax stains on dark exterior trim.

The best part is the application. Trim Shine utilizes a proprietary wipe-free aerosol technology. You can literally spray and walk away! You do not need to rub Trim Shine into the surface. It will stick instantly to produce an even shine. Trim Shine will not run or streak like a lot of trim detailers on the market. It takes the mess out of detailing.

Trim Shin will hydrate and protect trim materials from UV rays and drying with its durable coating. Regular use of Trim Shine will actually make your vehicle look newer longer and rejuvenate the trim on older vehicles.

In true Stoner fashion, Trim Shine will give you excellent results in no time at all. Just spray and watch your trim transform from dull and faded to rich and shiny.

12 oz. aerosol

This item is shipped by ground service only.

Stoner Trim Shine
Item #: STO-91034
Availability : Usually ships the same business day.
Price: $5.95, 3/$14.95
Qty:

Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Protectant

$24.95 Wolfgang Interior/ Exterior Combo Kit

Retail Value $170.35
Our Price $119.95

Related Items In This Category
Convertible Top Maintenance | 303 Fabric Convertible Top Kit | 303 Vinyl Convertible Top Kit | 303 Fabric/Vinyl Convertible Top Cleaner | 303 Aerospace Protectant 8 oz. | Professional Plastic Restoration System | RaggTopp Kit for Vinyl Convertibles | RaggTopp Kit for Fabric Convertibles | RaggTopp Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner | RaggTopp Fabric Protectant | RaggTopp Vinyl Protectant | Bimini Topp Cleaner | Wolfsteins Tonneau Cover Care Kit | Diamondite Clear Vinyl Shield | Diamondite Clear Vinyl System Kit for Hand Application | Diamondite Clear Vinyl Stain Reducer | Diamondite Clear Vinyl Cleanser | Plexus Plastic Cleaner, Protectant & Polish | 303 Aerospace Cleaner | Black Again | Forever Black Black-Top Dye | Forever Black Bumper & Trim Dye Kit | Meguiars #18 Clear Plastic Detailer | Meguiars Plastic Care | Meguiars Plastx Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish | Meguiars Plastic Care Kit | P21S Multi-Surface Finish Restorer | Lexol Spray Vinylex | Klasse Vinyl, Leather, Rubber & Plastic-Cleaner/ Protectant | Amazing Roll-Off | 3M Plastic Cleaner | 3M Plastic Polish | Stoner Trim Shine | Mothers Plastic Polish | DP Plex-All™ Plastic Cleaner & Polish

Need Assistance?
Call Toll-Free 1-800-215-4460 to speak to a Customer Service Representative or
email us

Mothers Back To Black is pretty good. Takes a few applications for the stuff to last.

There is a product called Black Again that has a dye component to it. That might work a little better.

A product that I like is called Black Wow. Expensive, kind of hard to find, but it does shine up trim and will last awhile.

Most tire and rubber dressings are the same. Use em or skip em.

Best product to use is a trim restorer that dyes the plastic. Most last 6 months or so.

I tried Black Wow on the extensive plastic panels on my previous Chev Avalanche. I did half the decklid and left the other half alone.

After 2 weeks the blackwow half had attracted a little more dust than the other side, but it had also developed that brown/rust color that you see on tires that have been sitting in the sun for too long.

I don't think there is any product that I would really use on black trim.

Black wow is something I'd use when showing, selling or trading in a vehicle. It looks good for the first week or so.

I put Black Magic tire shine gel on the plastics on my SportTrac (and there's PLENTY of plastic on that truck). It takes several washings to come completely off. I also use it on the black plastic trim pieces on my motorcycle and really like how well it works.

Originally Posted By: luisrivera
I use turtle wax ice on the trim on my crv and at least for that it works well

I've been using ICE on my 370Z paint/plastic/rubber so I thought I'd try it on the paint/plastic on my '99 Jeep. Brought the trim from grey to black - very nice.

Originally Posted By: jerre310
Friend has 05 Jeep with the black-gray plastic fender extentions which needs some help. What is the best product to restore and protect and last. Do not want something that will wash off the first time you wash it.

I won't let Mary Kay near my car.
LOL.gif

I have used Mothers Back to Black and Poorboys Trim Restorer. I am now testing Black Wow. I am doing 3 way test. In my initial treatment, Mothers did the best in dressing. I am now checking for durability. Mothers can run if not buffed off but we shall see in a month. In my first test, Mothers ran more at the end it looked no different than Poor Boys - better but less than the initial application. That is, Mothers did better ealier on but about the same at the end. Black Wow is rated for longer but I am checking now.

I used some Forever Black & Trim dye. This makes black blacker. I follow it up with a coat of Black Wow. Now if u want black that is black.

Well, On my truck I just use plain tire shine on the plastic fenders. Gives it a great clean look. I also use it on the back of my side mirrors and on the plastic door handles. Works great.

I bought some Mothers Back to Black at Wal Mart tonight... going to try that on my 04 Frontier. That truck has a lot of black plastic - fender flares, cowl under the wipers, front bumper, rear bumper top - all black plastic.

I saw another more expensive product from Bondo called "Restore Black" that might be an option if the "back to black" doesn't work out. I tried Lexol Vinylx previously, and it just doesn't hold up for long on this truck.

Heath

Originally Posted By: Q451990
I bought some Mothers Back to Black at Wal Mart tonight... going to try that on my 04 Frontier. That truck has a lot of black plastic - fender flares, cowl under the wipers, front bumper, rear bumper top - all black plastic.

I saw another more expensive product from Bondo called "Restore Black" that might be an option if the "back to black" doesn't work out. I tried Lexol Vinylx previously, and it just doesn't hold up for long on this truck.

Heath

Mothers does need to be applied correctly to last longer. You apply fairly liberally and then let it soak in. After a few minutes, buff it off very well. Otherwise, it can run when it gets wet. It is not a wipe on / immediately wipe off product. Multiple treatments over a couple days will improve the look.

Last edited:
In my experience Turtle Wax Ice liquid makes black trim look very nice. I have a theory that the clear silicone waxes in TWI soak into the rubber just like opaque waxes in other car polishes do, which have some effect above and beyond that of just the silicone oils.

However one product I've started using and really like, is NuVinyl, which comes in small 8oz bottle. It's a milky liquid, yet seems to provide a much better, and perhaps more durable effect than other emulsion based protectants. I'm liking it.

Originally Posted By: KLowD9x
I used an initial treatment with Bondo brand trim dye.

Now I keep it looking dark and shiny with Vinylex.

Nice to see another member from the midlands on here!

I applied the Mother's product this afternoon. I didn't really leave a lot on the surface, but I did rub it in quite a bit. Applying in the shade makes a big difference. I pulled the truck in the garage, but the door was open and the back was still in the sun. Tried to apply a little to the hot trim and it dried very quickly - almost on contact - so I waited for that part to get in the shade and then finished up. That side of the garage isn't deep enough to close the door and get back there to put the stuff on!

I think I'll put another coat on tomorrow and see how it holds up. This process took a lot longer than wiping on a little Vinylex, but hopefully it'll hold up longer. Vinylex lasted a week or so...

My truck sure has a lot of black plastic on it...

Heath

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back