Plastic oil drain plug on newer Fords

Changed the oil again on our 2018 F150 and, once again, found out I absolutely abhor these stupid plastic drain plugs that Ford is using. They create a mess EVERY **** TIME. Today was even worse as I had a glusty cross breeze which then blew the torrent of oil into my face :mad: I'm done with it, going to replace with one of the aftermarket valves out there but I'm not sure which one yet. So far I have found the following options each with some +/- issues. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Ronin Ford Easy Oil Drain is a pretty good looking unit and despite the price is definitely an option. I do not like the fact that it requires the use of a piece which is fully removed in between OCI, just seems like something that would be misplaced in the garage. I really like the benefit of this, that it has a double sealing system when closed (o-ring on the valve and a threaded cap over the end). Pricier but not by a lot.

UPR Ford Easy Oil Drain Seems very similar in form and function to the Ronin with the biggest difference being the drain remains in place in the plug body when sealed. I like that there is nothing to misplace. Looks like the only thing standing between your oil and a real problem is a small o-ring at the end of the valve, though. Probably insignificant but I do like the double o-ring on the plug body for long term installation.

Dorman 097-826HP and 097-826HPCD appear identical- I have no idea what the slightly different part numbers mean. Cheapest of the bunch running around $20-$25. While I don't necessarily trust such a critical application to the lowest bidder I also don't necessarily trust Dorman and haven't been able to find any cutaway diagrams of this. Its a nylon material and honestly I'm sure its fine. Just not sure I trust it.

Has anybody seen any other options out there which are notable? What would you pick? I am pretty torn between the UPR and Ronin and they are so similar.

Yeah, it’s a pain in the arm holding the drain plug partially in to control the oil stream. If there was something better than the three alternatives, I would buy it.

Paccar uses plastic drain plugs in some of the MX series OTR engines. They get changed at every oil change at least in the dealership I worked at. Techs hated them and the plastic oil pans.

The commentary on the Ronin site is priceless:

BEFORE ORDERING, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR TRUCK /CAR HAS A YELLOW PLASTIC DRAIN PLUG. NOT ALL VEHICLES HAVE THEM. FORD HAS SWITCHED SOME YEARS/MODELS BACK TO A METAL PAN WITH A CONVENTIONAL DRAIN BOLT.

Check out some youtubes. Basically this drain plug is massively oversized and dumps the oil too quick, couple that with an unfortunate sway bar placement which causes the torrent to splash/spray all over.
@buck91
Got it. Thx for the visual. Yeah, I'd be upset too.

Check out some youtubes. Basically this drain plug is massively oversized and dumps the oil too quick, couple that with an unfortunate sway bar placement which causes the torrent to splash/spray all over.

I checked out a Ford truck forum to see what all the hullabaloo was about. That sway bar is in a unfortunate spot, a direct line to the oil stream if you can call it that.

For decades automakers have pretty much used a standard size drain for the oil pan. Oil would come out in a steady stream. This Ford setup makes that drain hole bigger. The plug itself is not a bad idea but if the techs are replacing it at every change then it’s a waste and just adding to the plastic throwaway stream we have now.

It is a step backwards in that regard.

I used a 6" ratchet extension connected to the plug to controlled the flow.
Is it a bad design? Yeah I guess so. But they are nice trucks and the 2.7L has the filter on top.
Maybe a MityVac is a good solution? I will try next time.

I installed the Valvomax drain system on 3 of my 4 vehicles and simply love 'em. I decided not to get one for my wife's Sienna since it would install straight down out of the oil pan and decrease the ground clearance substantially, so that mite be an issue to consider before purchasing one.

Back