Plastic oil cartridge : Drain plug ?

This is from a new '20 RIO hatch with the newly designed 1.6 ltr. engine . This also includes the '20 + '21 Hyundai ACCENT and VENUE . The previous 1.6 ltr. engine had a metal spin on oil filter .
IMG_3716.JPG
IMG_3717.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a '20 Accent O.C. , . Doesn't use the perceived twist drain plug .

Looked like some pleats were messed up on that cartrige filter at the end of the video when he removed it from the housing.

My coworker at our Kia shop freaked out over this filter, and then it took him like an hour to finish an oil change on a new Rio.

My friend's i8 has a filter housing drain plug. I believe it gets replaced at each service.
The 3 cylinder engine is also used in some Mini Coopers, I believe.

" My friend's i8 has a filter housing drain plug. I believe it gets replaced at each service. "
Really . Should of left it as a spin oil filter for the new 1.6 ltr.. :cautious:

Found this oil change of a cartridge for the '20 Hyundai Sonata 1.6 Ltr. with Turbo . Part # is 26350-2M000 . Also Includes '20 ACCENT , RIO and VENUE . There's no drain plug . May reconsider getting a RIO 5 door hatchback or VENUE .

The Korean's out over engineered the Germans on this filter set up. Zero reasons to have all these parts on a filter and housing.

The Korean's out over engineered the Germans on this filter set up. Zero reasons to have all these parts on a filter and housing.
Toyota has a similar drain on their housings. Square drive though. I've thought about loctiting the drain in place so that I could use an extension and a ratchet to remove/install. I don't use the drain feature, I just live with the mess--maybe one of these days I'll try it out.

Toyota has a similar drain on their housings. Square drive though. I've thought about loctiting the drain in place so that I could use an extension and a ratchet to remove/install. I don't use the drain feature, I just live with the mess--maybe one of these days I'll try it out.
I try to use the drain whenever possible when I do oil changes on Toyota engines. Problem is, sometimes, it's stuck in there, since it seems like not a lot of techs know about it.

Draining the filer housing does add time to the job, but the reduction in mess is nice.

So I’m having a hard time understanding why most people think the cartridge style filters are a good design, but Ecores are not:unsure:. Looks the same to me.

I had a drain plug on my 2015 Passat TDI. It certainly cut down on the mess. It was inside the center of the nut to take the filter housing off.
Screenshot_20200910-105637_Chrome.jpg

I have a feeling the guy in the video mangled the cartridge before finding out he had to remove the cotter pin. That’s a different cartridge setup for sure. Toyota went back to spin ons and the same part numbers as before, for some engines.

I had a drain plug on my 2015 Passat TDI. It certainly cut down on the mess. It was inside the center of the nut to take the filter housing off.View attachment 28997
Same setup on my Mazda 6. I usually don't bother removing the drain plug (which is metal), not so messy when you've done it a few times.
I carry a spare oil filter cap in the trunk...Just in case..but I doubt I'll ever have to use it.

Back