Plastic Bag Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=local&id=5772449

I have been getting the recyclable paper bags for years, but I only semi-recycle them: I use them as trash bags. I wonder if I'm allowed to do that.
wink.gif

LOL!

Time to learn the meaning of you're english words
wink.gif
Their will need to be some editing of you're posts otherwise. Your going to have to keep track of it.

wink.gif

JMH

They keep trying to ban bags down here.

The numbers that escape into the environment, and the damage that they cause is hideous.

We still keep a stash of plastic bags. I marinate meat in them, take my lunch to work (wrap up the scraps and used teabags in it and dispose...I'd hate to be a cleaner pulling banana skins and tea bags from people's bins).

I don't want them banned.

There are 100% tree-free paper bags made from 100% recycled materials with 30% to 40% post consumer fibers.

My wife made some nice cloth bags we use over and over again.

Not sure if they are 100% cotton, but I'm sure plenty of nice petroleum derived pesticides were used on the cotton fields, just to keep those happy productive boll weevils in check.

I'm used to shopping with reusable cloth shopping bags, but if I need garbage bags I get the free paper bags. See, I'm thrifty, too.

I switched to cloth bags and haven't looked back, they are far superior to paper or plastic.
SF's issue with plastic isn't just biodegradability, plastic bags create huge amounts of litter and clog up recycling machines. that is why they aren't switching to biodegradable starch based plastic bags.

If you are going to throw away bags then you should get plastic. nothing biodegrades in our current system of landfill and plastic has significantly less mass then paper. it sounds counter-intuitive but the biodegradability of paper doesn't come into play in the landfill.

Audi uses heavy duty reusable plastic.

..but aren't the current thin plastic bags bio fragment-able? I was sure that they used some cornstarch bonding agent that made them disintegrate in the environment.

I bring my paper bags back to the store and reuse them. I even bag my own groceries because I like my lettuce standing upright like flowers.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I even bag my own groceries because I like my lettuce standing upright like flowers.

LOL.gif
I bag because I don't like the death grip on the loaf of bread
LOL.gif

Hmm..reminds me of the MMPI (Minnesota Multiphase Personality Inventory)

I like flowers and want to become a florist
grin2.gif

Longs Drugs seems to have plastic bags in every practical size, everything you can use as a shower cap to large enough to line a paper bag.

I take the paper bags to Grey Bears to recycle if I don't use them for trash bags, I will become a senior citizen some day so better to benefit them than the city.

When I show up with a Z-car full of beer bottles and cans, Grey Bears makes me feel good. The stares and gasps of "you brought your recycling/nasty old stuff...in that?" Hey, it's for a good cause, if my 400 beer bottles buy lunches for seniors on retirement, it's cooler than selling them for my profit. The Greatest Generation is not a joke, even when it comes to my bags and beer cans.

what the city does with them is probably not beneficial to any tax payer, so forget it.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Mori, I recycle a couple of boxes worth of junk mail/papers each week.

I wish I could say the same of the neighbors, or maybe they don't get junk mail?

Comcast alone bombards me with one or two flyer every day and a larger brochure once a week. They also hang ads on my door, claiming they are cutting off my cable (I don't have cable!) because I didn't pay my bill (Trying to shame me?). They waste a lot of money on wooing (annoying!) me with their incessant, wasteful campaign. Does anybody wonder why internet access costs $40 to $60 a month? The providers spend an insane amount of money on advertising. Just for that reason alone I will never ever even consider Comcast as my provider. I don't even look at junk mail. I throw the whole stack into the recycle bin. What a waste of resources. At least the post office makes a profit, eh?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Audi uses heavy duty reusable plastic.

Mercedes is the one with the biodegradable window moldings and some other biodegradable parts. Audi uses a biodegradable carbamide coating in the catalytic converter. If you were just trying to be funny, have your funny bone tuned.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I switched to cloth bags and haven't looked back, they are far superior to paper or plastic.
SF's issue with plastic isn't just biodegradability, plastic bags create huge amounts of litter and clog up recycling machines. that is why they aren't switching to biodegradable starch based plastic bags.

If you are going to throw away bags then you should get plastic. nothing biodegrades in our current system of landfill and plastic has significantly less mass then paper. it sounds counter-intuitive but the biodegradability of paper doesn't come into play in the landfill.

We have two garbage cans: one combined recycle bin for plastic, paper/card board and metal, and one for the rest of the trash.

How do you carry your squishy kitchen garbage and where do you put it? Do you carry egg shells and meat trimmings with bare hands to your garbage can? Do you buy garbage bags and keep your smelly trash for a couple days in you house? I'm using whatever shopping bags I get as daily trashbags, be they plastic or paper. Compared to my neighbors I produce maybe 1/3 the amount of trash they crank out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back