Plasti Dip Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up some used aftermarket wheels to run with winter tires, got 'em for a song b/c they had "peeling paint"... Well, it seems to be plasti dip and its mostly in good shape with some peeled spots, especially around the edges. Looks to be a chromed finish under the plasti dip.

I forget the brand name currently, but what would you guys do? The chrome I can see (very small amount) looks perfect. I don't think stripping the plasti dip makes any sense since the winter will likely FUBAR the chrome. Is it worth it to strip the plastidip before recoating or just clean up with degreaser and spray a touch-up coat?

Peel it all off and re-apply.

I plasti-dipped the wheels on my VW and it took a while to apply, but took maybe 30 minutes to remove from all 4 wheels.

Any tips to the job? Is it really just as simple and peeling it off? Also, I've read that masking the tires isn't necessary, especially if you wipe them with shine first. Has this been your experience?

Yeah it just peels off as long as they applied a thick enough coat. Some areas you might have to rub with your thumb to get it started.

I tried my hardest to not get it on my tires when applying but that was a waste of time.

Yes apply tire shine within a few days beforehand and don't worry about it. You can scrub it off the tires afterward once it dries good

Originally Posted By: buck91
Any tips to the job? Is it really just as simple and peeling it off? Also, I've read that masking the tires isn't necessary, especially if you wipe them with shine first. Has this been your experience?

You will want to mask behind the wheel, so you don't get Plastidip on the brakes and such. But don't worry about masking the lug nuts or tire, etc. It comes right off.

Go to www.dipyourcar.com. They have all kinds of great videos and information.

My bud plasti dipped his wheels. Off the vehicle. Didn't mask anything or use tire shine. Just used a razor blade to cut the stuff on back side of the rim lip and peeled the stuff right off the tire. Easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back