Pinch weld

2021 Camry Hybrid. Getting to be time for a tire rotation and an oil change (I think I will do 5k OCI's on this, out of FUD). They added a bunch of underside cladding and my usual methods of lifting and supporting don't apply. Where does the weight need to sit on this jack point / lift point / pinch weld? I think it's not on the spot but on the inside of this metal tab.

I see the lift points for lifting either axle, which is nice, I can lift the axle and drop into stands. Just not sure on how to use the stands.

This is the view from looking at it. It's not a solid tab that could take lifting, so I *think* you put the weight on the inside of the car--the scissors jack has a groove in it, presumably to keep from kicking out--a proper 2 or 4 post lift wouldn't have that problem with those bits that flip up.
pinchweld.jpg

This is what it looks like on the other side of that tab. It appears they put a layer of undercoating here, presumably to give some protection.
pinchweld2.jpg

I would just use the pinch welds like always. What does it say to do in the manual? :unsure:
The manual is useless in this regard. It shows the axle jacking points BUT it doesn't show where to put jackstands. You'd think if I needed to lift it by an axle that I'd be interested in putting onto stands!

It shows how to use the scissors jack for changing a tire on the side of the road. Nothing else.

I guess I could lift one axle, put on a couple of wheels, drop, go to the other axle and do the rotation on that axle. Then go back and lift the first axle and finish the tire rotation.

But I'm not sure how I can lift and support so I can do the oil change...

Can't get jackstands anywhere under the front lower control arms or the knuckle on the rear? Or anywhere on the front subframe? If nothing else they make pinch weld adapters for jack stands. I never put jack stands under the pinch weld if I can help it.

Last edited:
I think most of my cars had a nub of sorts on the inside of the pinch weld that a jack pad or stand would rest on. I hate having to rely on painted body panels, but with some vehicles like my Nissan Versa, that's all you have.

My RAV4 owner’s manual has the same poor info but it’s not a heavy hybrid. I put a padded jack stand right where you’re showing and I use my floor jack with slotted pad along the weld just enough to make room for the stand. I try to lower the jack onto the stands carefully. So far, so good.

I’d cut some grooves into some hockey pucks if you have to use jackstands on that pinch weld. Do you have a floor jack? I’d lift the front using the subframe and put stands under the control arms. Same with the back of the suspension is setup like I think it is.

Reactions: hrv
On my Mustang I use something like this when jacking one side to get beyond the rocker mouldings. Mine are a different brand, but they all look pretty similar.
That looks interesting but one of the reviews says it doesn’t work on Camry. ??? Seems strange and I wonder if that reviewer is wrong.

if they are wrong then I wonder if that would work well with wood cribbing to hold the car up.

I’d cut some grooves into some hockey pucks if you have to use jackstands on that pinch weld. Do you have a floor jack? I’d lift the front using the subframe and put stands under the control arms. Same with the back of the suspension is setup like I think it is.
Sounds dangerous to use control arms. I think they are hollow.

Supton, the underside of my Camry is very similar. I jack the rear from the mentioned point and set my jacks on the "frame rail" looking things that go the length of the body. If I need to jack one corner that's where I put my jack on as well. The pinch points are pretty weak and seem to want to bend with a normal jack. The front end has the same looking jacking point on ours. Almost like they knew DIY'ers would be working on them.

2021 Camry Hybrid. Getting to be time for a tire rotation and an oil change (I think I will do 5k OCI's on this, out of FUD). They added a bunch of underside cladding and my usual methods of lifting and supporting don't apply. Where does the weight need to sit on this jack point / lift point / pinch weld? I think it's not on the spot but on the inside of this metal tab.

I see the lift points for lifting either axle, which is nice, I can lift the axle and drop into stands. Just not sure on how to use the stands.

This is the view from looking at it. It's not a solid tab that could take lifting, so I *think* you put the weight on the inside of the car--the scissors jack has a groove in it, presumably to keep from kicking out--a proper 2 or 4 post lift wouldn't have that problem with those bits that flip up.
View attachment 63927

This is what it looks like on the other side of that tab. It appears they put a layer of undercoating here, presumably to give some protection.
View attachment 63928

personally I'd use ramps for the oil change. I made some years ago out of 2x12's stacked together and mitered to allow driving up them.

As far as the tire rotation I'd use the jack and not use jack stand. If you aren't under the car it should be fine on a jack. Couple that with your vehicle jack and off you go.

Just my $0.02

My Subaru has pinch welds. But if you look at the factory jack and how it fits the the pinch weld you will see the pinch weld holds the jack in place but the jack lifts the vehicle on either side of the pinch weld and not the actual pinch weld.

Other vehicles may be different.

For an oil change, you can just use ramps :sneaky:

My vote is still to just use the pinch welds... while you still can :D
(before they rust)

I've been using pinch welds when I have to go under my two vehicles, 2015 MDX & 2020 Tucson. MDX's pinch welds are reinforced, no worry there, but Tucson looks almost the same as OP's pictures. Always put removed tires and floor jack for added safety. No need to go under for tire rotation, Rhino Ramps for oil changes.

Supton, the underside of my Camry is very similar. I jack the rear from the mentioned point and set my jacks on the "frame rail" looking things that go the length of the body.
I think OPs issue is he can't find the frame rails due to all the plastic cladding. I have a similar problem with my current-gen Prii. There's about a 3/8" gap in the plastic that lets me eyeball the "frame rail" parts of the floor pan and then I have to count on my depth perception to set the quik-jack up correctly.

OP should set the stands under the pinch welds as described but take a good look under there for some hidden frame rails up under the cladding. Then, perhaps, spray some high-vis orange paint dots on the plastic where there's a good place to lift.

Off topic, the rear pinch welds don't have much weight on them if you've already lifted the front by the firewall, as the powertrain teetering forward will actually be pulling the rear of the car upward.

Back