(Pictures) SuperTech oil filter # ST3675

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Where's Bill in Utah? He should be here any second now to defend the value of SuperTech filters. Mr $5 oil change. . .
laugh.gif

You know, I just spent 20 mins typing up a reply incl FACTS links of photos and such.

I've cut open more filters than you'll EVER use.

Never had a problem.

But who cares. With the way this board is (has) going/gone, I'm wasting my time.
pat2.gif

So nevermind.

Everyone *NEEDS* to spend ATLEAST $10 per oil filter to get any filter worth putting on their engine.

And never cut one open because it will never have a problem.

See, I can have the mindset of a lot of BITOG members.

Amazing.

Relax, Bill
grin.gif
Any filter can and WILL have issues in regard to manufacturing defects. No QC program, even those for medical devices, is perfect (although they do have failures and defects, they tend to be caught before hitting the end user- rejection rates up to 70% in manufacturing) We've seen them all ...Wix, Baldwin, PureOne ..you name it. Perfection is a figment of our imagination. What makes me laugh is the "NEVER AGAIN!!!" rant. If you fall into a really obscure set of odds ..eventually you would be able to use absolutely nothing. Now there can surely be products that won't work for you ..but that's nothing to do with being "defective". You can have a perfectly constructed/assembled piece of manure that fails in your usage.

You buy based on your need ...however you perceive it.

We've got people who consider 5k an extended drain ...and if they're taking enough time to put the 5k on ...they're right when comparing it to a 3m/3k alternative. They may also want the added benefits of a synth ..whether they need it or not. Whatever insult their engine is enduring, they want it to be less.

If you're using the same filter and it DEVELOPS start up rattle at a certain point in the OCI ..and it bothers you, switch to one with a silicon ADBV. This is NO ASSURANCE that JUST because you have a silicon ADBV that you'll never have startup rattle. It just means that "inherently" the use of a silicon ADBV will last longer than its nitrile counterpart. It too is subject to the occasional in process or supplier defect.

I'm into extended drains. I've used Fram or Fram clones. Every one of them eventually got a startup rattle. Now the startup rattle never really bothered me in terms of concern. It was more in the realm of annoyance. Since I do extended drains, I can get the value out of upper tier filters. Now most can do the same, without the extended drains, if they want to leave the filter on for a couple of OCI's

I'll continue to use ST or AA Total Grips on my daughter's Taurus. Now that she's working and attending college locally, she may do 10k a year in radically mixed usage. 6month OCI's and cheaper filters.

On my rides, due to the extended habit I've acquired, I'll use EaO filters. If I didn't, I'd probably use PureOne ..or wait for a M1 AA sale or something. Wix filters are always a good choice too.

That one glued pleat still gives the ST more pleats than many $3-$4 priced filters.

In my amateur opinion, Supertechs are the best money value in an aftermarket nitrile ADBV filter.

This was not meant as a bash for WalMart filters. I just wanted to see the quality of filters that are available for "MY" truck. I have seen other filters cut open for different applications but they were not the same type of filters. It's just "peace of mind".

I have a cheapo FRAM and PURE-1 that I will cut open this weekend and post some pictures. Then I will cut open the TG/Fram, am Purolator, Wix/NAPA, and maybe a few others.

The $50 I spend on cutting open filters may pay me back in engine life if I use right one.

"The $50 I spend on cutting open filters may pay me back in engine life if I use right one. "

or it may not matter. Many people have gone >250k on the cheapest oil filter around. Alot of people seem to agree that as long as you change your oil at a decent time, the filter does not matter (however, if you do EOCI's it may matter due to capacity)

I'm sure if you looked hard enough someone would find a flaw with every filter ever made. Wix oil filters are black, and it is common knowledge that black oil filters are not nearly as efficient as blue ones.

Quote:

I'm sure if you looked hard enough someone would find a flaw with every filter ever made. Wix oil filters are black, and it is common knowledge that black oil filters are not nearly as efficient as blue ones.

Must be a Mopar fan. Their filters are blue.

Quote from zonestar: "Must be a Mopar fan. Their filters are blue."

Some have blue cans and some have black cans (depends on the application). See even oil filters ain't a black and white issue...except for the orange wall of doom, generally panned by the BITOG cognoscente.

OK, You rained on my parade. That is the filter i use on my silverado. I think I may have to move on to a better filter just for piece of mind. Are any of the china-mart frams worth a darn?

Quote:

Are any of the china-mart frams worth a darn?

Not for the money, imo. For a couple of bucks more than a decent Fram (not for filtration spec's), you could get an EaO ..and if you have an AAP nearby ..and M1.

Quote:

If I remember correctly all Bill's filter autopsies were done on non e-core designs, an important distinction. I don't know that we've had many e-core autopsy results reported here at all, from Bill or anyone else. I myself have cut open a few new e-cores and wasn't impressed as I too found the bonding of the media to the endcaps to be a little weak.

I know I'm wasting my time... But;

Here is one ecore I've posted;

ST3675 ecore thread

And another;

Another ST3675 thread

And cutting open a new ecore filter;

New Ecore ST3675 filter thread

I've used dozens of the ecore filters and cut open everyone and never a problem. Also most of them have been the same filter as the start of this thread, the one for a Chevy 4800,5300,6000 V8.

As Gary said, ANY BRAND of filter may have a problem. *IF* you think just because your spending $5, $10, $15 for a filter your NEVER going to have *any* problem your fooling your self.

Tearing apart EVERY filter AFTER use is a way to show if there is a problem. They have been doing this with aircraft filters forever. I've been doing it with all filters forever.

This does show a good thing about cartridge filters, you atleast can SEE what your putting in.
thumbsup.gif

You spend your $$ and take your chances...

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

"*IF* you think just because your spending $5, $10, $15 for a filter your NEVER going to have *any* problem your fooling your self."
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amen, but you'll probably never have a problem anyway.

"Amen, but you'll probably never have a problem anyway."

The only way you'll know one way or another is if you cut them open after each oil change.

Super Tech endcaps are not glued and NO! they are not junk. If people would do their research, they would understand that ecore style filters like that of Super Tech, have thermally bonded endcaps. This is much stronger than glue and cardboard endcaps like Fram uses, and is comparable to metal and glue endcaps. Why would an entire company with the prestige of Champion Labs, change all their production to a new style of filter unless they knew they were making a better product?

Quote:

Why would an entire company with the prestige of Champion Labs, change all their production to a new style of filter unless they knew they were making a better product?

Champ, IMO- the thing that's so easy to loose sight of is the fact that each ST/Champion filter p/n will be different in construction. It's real easy to throw a blanket statement out there because one gutted ST doesn't look quite right to someone. You will find the same situation through any filter manufacturers range of part #'s.

Joel

"Why would an entire company with the prestige of Champion Labs, change all their production to a new style of filter unless they knew they were making a better product?”

Well, for one, Champ labs makes filters to the customer’s specs/price target. If they changed a filters construction, you can bet the buyer (Wal-mart) has given the OK.

As far as their (Champ Labs) prestige goes, the average shopper has no clue as to who makes the ST filters, nor do most of them care or have any idea if they are good or bad.
They only know that they are cheap (relatively) and do the job with out granading the engine.

Quote:

Super Tech endcaps are not glued and NO! they are not junk. If people would do their research, they would understand that ecore style filters like that of Super Tech, have thermally bonded endcaps. This is much stronger than glue and cardboard endcaps like Fram uses, and is comparable to metal and glue endcaps. Why would an entire company with the prestige of Champion Labs, change all their production to a new style of filter unless they knew they were making a better product?

Well, they didn't change all of their production to Ecores. It was an entirely new line. They don't make certain numbers in Ecores (or at least they didn't) simply due to the can diameter.

Personally, I like the innovation of the Ecore design. I wish that an upscale version was produced (silicon combo valve + synth media).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back