Pics - Top Piston Cleaning - Lexus CT200h

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CR94
EGR cooler, EGR valve, and EGR passages in the manifold are likely clogged----common problem with these.

Agreed! That's the next project.

Originally Posted by KerryB
Originally Posted by JC1
Looks good. Thanks for the Pics. How much MMO and GM cleaner did you use in each cylinder?

300ml MMO and 100ml of GM per cylinder

Thanks!

Try 1 or 2 bottles of redine SL-1 - -that stuff has the highest concentration of PEA out there.

Also - I had success with BG EPR on an oil burning / drinking audi. - - - that stuff is potent!!!!!
Be in a well ventilated space when using it - - -

EGR cooler, EGR valve, and EGR passages in the manifold are likely clogged----common problem with these.

Even bigger on the 2ZRs is the head gasket going out. Seems to be a common issue on the Prius/CT. The Critic has a thread about the repair he did to his own car, which I did see in action.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I'd bet the vehicle never spent more than an hour at highway speeds.
Originally Posted by D1dad
Nice work. I'm interested how the consumption does moving forward. I'm trying, and having success using kreen in my alitima oil burner (2009). All I've done is treated the oil and the fuel and have reduced the usage by a significant amount but I think I'll do and ounce in each cylinder overnight when I get some time over thanksgiving. Love seeing results like this, good job!

Expect it to return. I'd bet the vehicle has never spent more than an hour at highway speeds let alone speeds of 70 mph or more. The OP just as likely would've reduced consumption by just going on an extended road trip.

Yup. The previous owner sat in traffic most of his driving.

Expecting it to improve. Will be running an occ which would greatly help.

Originally Posted by nthach

Even bigger on the 2ZRs is the head gasket going out. Seems to be a common issue on the Prius/CT. The Critic has a thread about the repair he did to his own car, which I did see in action.

I'm going to be doing preventative maintenance and hope a hg failure won't happen. I will be good as long as the pcv and egr systems are functioning correctly.

Do you guys think an open pcv with oil catch can is sufficient?

If I have a catch can does the egr need to be functioning?

Do you guys think an open pcv with oil catch can is sufficient?

If I have a catch can does the egr need to be functioning?
Mine consumes so very little oil (so far!) that I can't see how a catch can could make much difference.

Conventional wisdom on priuschat.com seems to be that yes, you do need fully functioning EGR to avoid head gasket failure. I'm only about 60% convinced that's true. I suspect uneven distribution of EGR gas between cylinders due to clogging in the manifold may be a bigger threat to the head gasket than clogging of the cooler.

Thanks for reporting your experience.

Last edited:

I'm going to be doing preventative maintenance and hope a hg failure won't happen. I will be good as long as the pcv and egr systems are functioning correctly.

My EGR was not even that dirty. The head gasket are simply an issue on these engines and cannot be prevented.

Originally Posted by The Critic

My EGR was not even that dirty. The head gasket are simply an issue on these engines and cannot be prevented.

Gotcha. Good info.

What year was your Prius and was it preowned?

What oil are you running in it?

Last edited:

Gotcha. Good info.

2011 and I have owned it since new. The engine is currently running PP 0w20, but I may try some Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W-30 at the next oil change to clean the rings. Mine consumes 0 oil and I hope to keep it that way.

Head gasket failures tend to happen after 150k on these engines so you still have time.

Gotcha. Good info.

2011 and I have owned it since new. The engine is currently running PP 0w20, but I may try some Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W-30 at the next oil change to clean the rings. Mine consumes 0 oil and I hope to keep it that way.

Head gasket failures tend to happen after 150k on these engines so you still have time.

Thanks. Knock on wood. I've seen CT's hit 300k

... Head gasket failures tend to happen after 150k on these engines so you still have time.
Some seem to go considerably farther, and some don't. Any clue what makes the difference, other than luck? Something about the way they're driven, or maintenance or what?

The way the engine cools off so much coasting down long hills with no fuel injected, followed immediately by working to climb the next hill can't be great for a fragile head gasket.

... Head gasket failures tend to happen after 150k on these engines so you still have time.
Some seem to go considerably farther, and some don't. Any clue what makes the difference, other than luck? Something about the way they're driven, or maintenance or what?

The way the engine cools off so much coasting down long hills with no fuel injected, followed immediately by working to climb the next hill can't be great for a fragile head gasket.

That's exactly the type of driving I have. Lots of hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back