Picked up a Copart vehicle

I watch the youtube channel samcrac

His word of advise, don't buy a range rover.

ANY TRUE car guy will know NEVER to buy ANYTHING with a Land/Range Rover logo on it :LOL: šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£

Have a buddy in Switzerland who hauls cars for a living had a 2012 range rover and transmission went out

POOF $8000 !! He got rid of it last year and now hauls cars with a Mercedes diesel cab over :oops::oops:

Dave

That car is too nice for 24 Hours of LeMons - the amount of work to make it race worthy is significant and puts you over the $500 limit for cars(not including safety stuff like racing seat/harness/roll cage).

Itā€™s good for parts - if the engine/trans is in good shape, thereā€™s someone out there who will buy it.
The people that actually compete put thousands upon thousands into a ā€œ$500ā€ car, the things they do to get an advantage are beyond sweaty.

ANY TRUE car guy will know NEVER to buy ANYTHING with a Land/Range Rover logo on it :LOL: šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£
The older ones are fine if you know what youā€™re doing, my 91 Range Rover is in the top 10 for the easiest vehicles iā€™ve ever worked on. Even some of the newer stuff like the LR3 are pretty decent if youā€™re not paying ridiculous labor and parts markup.

Last edited:
Why guys buy this stuff that an insurance company said is not worth fixing is beyond me....

My first Sportster was totalled. ($10,000+ in damage.) It could have been ridden home with a couple hours of work. (Indeed...I would have kept it if it wasn't 1200 miles away.) I could have gotten it back on the road ready for another road trip for, maybe, one quarter of the insurance estimate. (Crash bar, lights, speedometer, windshield, mirrors, brake and clutch levers, and hard bags-I would more than likely just live with the dented tank-almost 20% of the damage estimate-and scraped pipes.)

Pretty sure the tow jockey who hauled it to RCHD (note: he rode it onto the truck) bought it from the auction.

Last edited:
I brought 7 cars from Copart this past summer. Only 2 of them have gone as expected.

2016 GMC Sierra SLT HD Duramax - wheel fell off because someone decided to not only swap out the factory chrome wheels for base WT steelies, they also left 6/8 lug nuts off the front wheels and put the lug caps back on. Wheel falls off on the highway lol. Still haven't gotten into it yet but I'm sure I'll find some surprises.

2016 Porsche Cayenne. Moderate front end damage in pictures. Get the car only to find out the driver knee airbag was deployed but hidden in the pictures. Car was listed run & drive but the accident shifted the subframe a hair and cracked the block where the motor mount connects. I paid over half of clean retail to get the car after fees, NOT including replacement parts, only to find out I need a new engine block because cast iron is a PITA to weld. Nobody's selling blocks for a 16 cayenne and complete engines are 10k+. At the end of this ordeal it would cost close to what a CLEAN retail Cayenne costs.

Honestly...that sounds like borderline fraud. Like, actual criminal charges...a car with a fired airbag does NOT "run and drive!"

I live 1/4 mile from copart and own a car trailer. I really have no idea how to buy something out of there and title it, but I've been eyeing mirages as they go through.

Even though photos taken yesterday make the Buick look better than she is. If the rear quarter panel wasn't MIA, likely a weekend with this could make it a clean, decent ride... But it is missing, and copart trashed the bumper and trunk lid.......

What? The bumper and lid were pictured in the auction, right? I'd be threatening legal action right there.

I donā€™t get the point. $448 for the car, then add $1,000 for parts and at least $1,000 for paint and body work. Youā€™re at $2500 minimum and you donā€™t even know if the engine knocks or the transmission has no reverse. I see those old boats on Craigslist for around $1500 all the time and you can test drive it before buying. Iā€™ve bought cars at the salvage auctions, but for a cheap driver, it makes little sense to get one with body damage when there are so many clean ones.

I live 1/4 mile from copart and own a car trailer. I really have no idea how to buy something out of there and title it, but I've been eyeing mirages as they go through.
Mirage is about the most simplistic car created, how much do they normally sell for in runnable condition?

At CoPart-in an instance where the the lawyer costs would exceed the "costs of goods"? Was those your circumstances? Please share.

Maybe he has a lawyer on retainer that would write a letter? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Reactions: CKN
Mirage is about the most simplistic car created, how much do they normally sell for in runnable condition?

Usually not that much. $3000 or $4000 with lower miles and some cosmetic damage.

I don't actually know of it could get on my trailer. I'd probably have to winch it on or something

At CoPart-in an instance where the the lawyer costs would exceed the "costs of goods"? Was those your circumstances? Please share.
lol I would never deal with CoPart. My brinksmanship is limited to real estate and contracting. But in no case does everyone get off the hook when something is misrepresented/missing. They can write all the user agreements they want... fraud is still illegal... no contract makes illegal legal... if CoPart doesn't take the hit... then the seller will.

It seems the OP decided not to pursue it at all, so I'm not going to argue about it. You can go on without me if you like.

lol I would never deal with CoPart. My brinksmanship is limited to real estate and contracting. But in no case does everyone get off the hook when something is misrepresented/missing. They can write all the user agreements they want... fraud is still illegal... no contract makes illegal legal... if CoPart doesn't take the hit... then the seller will.

It seems the OP decided not to pursue it at all, so I'm not going to argue about it. You can go on without me if you like.

It seems (by others who have posted) that the biggest issue with CoPart is the phrase in the description of vehicles that says "runs and drives". It seems that phrase has a wide interpretation.

Back