Picked up a Cherokee Trailhawk

Picked up a 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk this week to take over DD duty from my 97 Jeep Cherokee. I want to preserve and continue building my XJ for more heavy off-road as well as save it from he road salt. It still has surprisingly little rust for a MN Cherokee.

Pretty crazy end of year deals, ended up paying $27,800, sticker is almost $40K.

Looking forward to the heated steering wheel, that's a first in a vehicle for me.

Hopefully being a 2020 it has most of the kinks worked out! I know the 3.2 ( which this one has, not the 2.0T) had rocker arm issues early on in life and the 9 speed isn't exactly praised LOL. Supposedly that is all addressed, we shall see.

Love these little Jeeps.

Last edited:
Both my DD cars have heated steering wheels. Living in FL I rarely get to use them but when I go up north in the winter I love it.

Nice car BTW hope you enjoy it :)

Ouch, $27k out of 40k.
Yeah, I have been watching them for a bit. This dealer was down to two 2020's left and dropped the price another $1K this week. 2021 are already on the lots so I'm sure they want to close them out.

One thing I went back and forth on was an extended warranty. I don't typically purchase them but being these are a FCA vehicle and have lots of gadgets, I ended up getting a 8 year/125K Mopar Maximum Care warranty for a little over $2K.

Yeah, I have been watching them for a bit. This dealer was down to two 2020's left and dropped the price another $1K this week. 2021 are already on the lots so I'm sure they want to close them out.

One thing I went back and forth on was an extended warranty. I don't typically purchase them but being these are a FCA vehicle and have lots of gadgets, I ended up getting a 8 year/125K Mopar Maximum Care warranty for a little over $2K.
Good score.

As for the warranty, that is a good price, too. Zeigler has the best warranty prices usually, especially with the PAIDINFULL discount code. They are $2345 for 8/125k with $100 deductible before the discount code.

Last edited:
Very nice. I had no idea they were discounting them like that or I may have considered one instead of the Escape I ordered.

Incredible purchase. Seriously you did good! i test drove a couple of early variants with the 4 cylinder... was very impressed with interior, body dynamics and chassis, but underwhelmed with the driveline I drove. Whats under the hood in yours?

Incredible purchase. Seriously you did good! i test drove a couple of early variants with the 4 cylinder... was very impressed with interior, body dynamics and chassis, but underwhelmed with the driveline I drove. Whats under the hood in yours?

Trailhawks have the Pentastar 3.2 six with the same 9 speed auto as the base Cherokees I believe. The six definitely transforms the way they drive over the 4 bangers.

Good score.

As for the warranty, that is a good price, too. Zeigler has the best warranty prices usually, especially with the PAIDINFULL discount code. They are $2345 for 8/125k with $100 deductible before the discount code.

I think that vendor sells warranties for $1-$200 above their cost. If the OP's dealer beat that price, they must be selling at cost or are balancing profit with the rest of the deal.

Thanks everyone. Picked it up Wed night, I've put a little over 100 miles on it and am loving it so far. I really like how solid the vehicle feels. I had been driving my girlfriend's 2015 Rav4 for a few months and that thing feels like a tin can compared to the Cherokee, it has some heft to it which I really like. The 3.2 and 9 speed is also a very sweet combo, smooth and plenty powerful.

The heated steering wheel and seats are amazing. U-Connect is great as well as Apple Car play. Oddly enough my favorite feature is the LED headlights though! Crazy how much better I can see VS halogens or even my girlfriends projector lights in the Rav.

I'd say the only things I don't like so far are the start-stop which I sometimes forget to turn off and the Firestone Destination A/T tires that come from the factory are kind of sucky in the snow. Both easily fixable :).

Overall VERY satisfied with the purchase. It came with 4 free oil changes under the Jeep Wave program ( kinda corny name) which the Trailhawk's get. Not sure if I'll use them yet, kind of want to DIY, keeping receipts of course.

I'd say if you are looking, now would be a great time to snag one up. The MSRP was $39,100. My dealer had it discounted to $32,747 and Jeep had an additional $4,750 in incentives for year end ( you do have to finance with them for $750 of that). Price paid, $27,997.

Last edited:
I think that vendor sells warranties for $1-$200 above their cost. If the OP's dealer beat that price, they must be selling at cost or are balancing profit with the rest of the deal.
When I went in to sign the papers Wed, the dealer said he was giving me the warranty $20 over cost and wanted to know the sites I found those prices at. What I caught and didn't mention to him was the fact he goofed up and gave me a lower deductible in his deal than the one I quoted online and asked him to match. $500 score for me over his mistake! LOL.

Talking to the finance guy he said typically the online sellers don't make much on the warranties but do get other kickbacks for being a volume seller such as trips and other perks. How true that is I don't know...

Last edited:
Very nice. My son bought a 2020 Trailhawk with only 2,100 actual miles. I couldn't believe how powerful they are with the 6 cylinder. He has had it about a month and a half and really likes it however he stated the gas mileage on the highway was only about 22mpg on a trip down to Colorado. I told him he must have been driving in a lot of wind because it should do better. The trailhawks are very cool vehicles and I really like his. We have the Grand Cherokee which is a little heavier but sucks more gas. I think the Trailhawks are a great looking vehicle as well as drive very nicely. He put a ski rack on his and it made it look really cool. I thought it was just part of the roof rack and it doesn't even look like those old ugly huge ski racks. His ski rack actually looks like a factory part of the roof rack and I would buy one even if I didn't ski. LOL!

Very nice. My son bought a 2020 Trailhawk with only 2,100 actual miles. I couldn't believe how powerful they are with the 6 cylinder. He has had it about a month and a half and really likes it however he stated the gas mileage on the highway was only about 22mpg on a trip down to Colorado. I told him he must have been driving in a lot of wind because it should do better. The trailhawks are very cool vehicles and I really like his. We have the Grand Cherokee which is a little heavier but sucks more gas. I think the Trailhawks are a great looking vehicle as well as drive very nicely. He put a ski rack on his and it made it look really cool. I thought it was just part of the roof rack and it doesn't even look like those old ugly huge ski racks. His ski rack actually looks like a factory part of the roof rack and I would buy one even if I didn't ski. LOL!
Yeah, gas mileage isn't a strong suit of the Cherokee. Its only rated at 24 HWY and 18 City, 21 combined. I'm completely ok with that as I like the sound and feel of a V6 not to mention the capability the Trailhawk provides.

I took a look and my girlfriend's Rav 4 which has the 2.5 4 cylinder, it averages 24 MPG overall so not much better. I'd much rather have the grunt of the Cherokee's 3.2 over a 4 cylinder :). That was one of my main complaints when I was looking at Rav's for myself, just too under powered, especially with any weight in the vehicle.

Back