Picked up a 2015 Kia Sedona SX-L

After 2-3 months of searching, the wife and I finally found a Sedona SX-L we were willing to pull the trigger on. We were dead set on a Sedona-- seems to be the only modern minivan that's not butt ugly (IMHO). Can't stand Honda's lightning bolt "hearse" styling and the Toyota is too long in the tooth having been around in current form since 2011. Didn't like the Pacifica interior and the seats were paper thin due to stow and go. So that left the Sedona, and further narrowing our options, I insist on HID lights on a new vehicle so that made the SX-L with technology package (absolute top trim) as my choices. Suffice it to say, it's not Kia's most popular model. We found a couple others but they always sold before our schedule would allow us to travel to GA, NC, or whatever far flung place the van happened to be. This one we found was 3-1/2 hours away in Ironton, OH, which is tucked down in the tri-state area (OH, WV, KY) on the foothills of the Appalachians.

Van had a accident noted in the Carfax but it was clear to me that it was superficial and had been repaired well except one spot which the dealer is fixing. I was able to talk them down from 21k to 20k with the caveat that they install new tires of a name brand. Van has 28k miles on it and was from Florence, KY (Cincinnati area) its whole life, so far enough south that it would have only had infrequent salt exposure, if any. Van is solid, drives well, decent condition for a 2015. They wanted us to take it home (even suggesting it was state law that I take it), but I insisted the keep it till they install the tires and fix the couple issues I identified. Should be picking it up early next week.

Dealer was pleasant enough to work with. They attempted the usual tactics of throwing every expensive warranty, paint sealer, (no vin etching thankfully), gap coverage they could packaged into a super long term loan (think it was 75 months) to make the monthly payment not appear sky high. Thankfully they didn't balk too much (other than the usual peace-of-mind sales pitch) when I told them to get rid of it all and just present me with an X amount for van, X interest rate, X monthly payment with no garbage (other than their $250 doc fee which I'm okay with) tacked on. I've always bought vehicles that way and drove them to 200k+ and never had any major issues. So if something major was to pop up down the road and I have to pay out of pocket, I'm still way ahead than if I were to buy an extended warranty on every used vehicle purchase. Luckily the dealer offers an in-house 10-year/1M mile powertrain warranty at no cost, so at least I have some protection, though I haven't read the fine print.

Wife named the van Ruby, seems appropriate. Our 4 kids are very pleased, they can't get over the lounge seating, TV (which they've never had in a vehicle) and dual sunroofs. I'm neutral on the color, not my favorite, but it's good enough. Really wanted a white one with the saddle (tan) interior, those are REALLY sharp, but I wasn't prepared to wait months and months waiting for one with the right combination of price and mileage. Pics aren't the greatest due to all the reflections; I'll have some good ones once I get it home and can give it a good detailing.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Looks like a great purchase. Keep the door latches and sliding door track well lubricated. Some Kias are prone to have the door strikers corrode.

I like the color, just be careful with letting tree sap or bird droppings on it for an extended period of time.

Nice choice, congrats. Looks like a 2020 model. In fact after seeing the pics I had to go back and reread that part.

Also like how it's a loaded up model. Sounds like you're right on point with everything.

Last edited:
Nice choice.
It has the 3.3L, same as out 2016 Sorento.
If you choose to do your own oil changes, easy to use a Mityvac, suck the oil out of the dipstick tube and change out the oil cartridge from the top.
It should take a 27mm socket to remove.

Every 5k miles and OE oil filter if it was my car. PP 5W-30 is a great go to oil.

Congratulations on the new purchase. My oldest daughter bought an 2015 LX last month. She came down from Virginia to visit two weeks ago and I liked it.

Very nice pick up, rare to see a KIA that well loaded. Our previous generation Sedona (12) has been excellent I'd expect even better from that one. Nice!

Super nice! $20k is a ton to me for a 5yr old Kia, but like you said, it's likely seen little to no salt and if you want all the options, it's going to cost you.

Having owned and shopped MVs for years, I know these late model kia and Hyundai variants are tough to come by.

Last edited:
Nice. I rode in a high trim level Kia Carnival when l was in Korea a couple of years ago and was really surprised at how nice it was. I would definitely consider one if l was in the market for a minivan.

Those are nice vans especially with that leather package. The 3.3 is known to be one of the best motors to come out of Hyundai/KIa.

I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL-Limited. I really like the value equation in these vehicles - even though I could have bought anything else in it's class.

I bought a 2016 Honda CR-V last February and when I test drove it it was day time. The first time I use it at night I was really disappointed at the lack of interior lighting. Initially I thought of taking it to a local man who runs an upholstery and interior shop from his house, and does top quality work, and working with him to add more interior lights. But times being what they are I am keeping my exposure to other people at an absolute minimum so I put that off. Then I found a company called Precision LED on the internet that sells LED bulbs that put out much more light than the standard bulbs used in vehicles and they are a direct replacement using the original vehicles socket. I purchased the interior package of 4 bulbs and the amount of light they put out is amazing. It really makes a big difference. I can see or find anything in the vehicle at night now, and it has an all black interior. They are very expensive, but LED's last a very long time, and even though I plan to keep this vehicle a long time, I can put back in the original bulbs and transfer these bulbs into my next vehicle if I ever replace it. Precision LED sends you plastic tools to remove the bulb covers for free along with the LED bulbs (at their prices the plastic tools should be and are for free). In the end using these LED bulbs cost less than I would have paid to add lights with the help of the local upholstery man. And now I can see everything in the vehicle at night. I just thought I would share this info in-case you find the interior lighting less than desirable.

I bought a 2016 Honda CR-V last February and when I test drove it it was day time. The first time I use it at night I was really disappointed at the lack of interior lighting. Initially I thought of taking it to a local man who runs an upholstery and interior shop from his house, and does top quality work, and working with him to add more interior lights. But times being what they are I am keeping my exposure to other people at an absolute minimum so I put that off. Then I found a company called Precision LED on the internet that sells LED bulbs that put out much more light than the standard bulbs used in vehicles and they are a direct replacement using the original vehicles socket. I purchased the interior package of 4 bulbs and the amount of light they put out is amazing. It really makes a big difference. I can see or find anything in the vehicle at night now, and it has an all black interior. They are very expensive, but LED's last a very long time, and even though I plan to keep this vehicle a long time, I can put back in the original bulbs and transfer these bulbs into my next vehicle if I ever replace it. Precision LED sends you plastic tools to remove the bulb covers for free along with the LED bulbs (at their prices the plastic tools should be and are for free). In the end using these LED bulbs cost less than I would have paid to add lights with the help of the local upholstery man. And now I can see everything in the vehicle at night. I just thought I would share this info in-case you find the interior lighting less than desirable.

That's the interesting part of buying new vehicles, there's always things you don't notice, surprise features or ones you wish it had that you don't discover until later. Interesting you mention interior lightning because I'll be retrofitting the interior lighting with LED on this van, in fact I'd already ordered the bulbs before we even have the van. I did that on my '07 Chrysler Pacifica after I bought it and was amazed at the difference it made. Granted I used cheap Ebay LEDs, but all but one package of bulbs (which was junk) is still working solid after 3 years. I replaced the old incandescents mostly for color temperature and efficiency not actual light output-- but the brighter light is welcome. I had to add diffusers to the overhead lights because the light would literally blind you it was so bright. Now it's just awesome, no other way to put it.

I was surprised that Kia is still using incandescent interior lightning when many manufacturers (Chrysler T&C for example) had already been switching over before 2015. I'm not terribly upset however because the bulbs can be replaced easy enough, and I've been less impressed with the actual light output of OEM LED interior lighting solutions.. I'm sure the retrofit I'm doing will result in brighter more usable light than what would have come from the factory.

Quick update on the van, we haven't even picked it up yet, sadly! There was a cosmetic issue (bumper cover and fender had a gap and one parking sensor was not flush with bumper; it had popped out a bit) from a previous accident that I wanted the dealer to fix. Turns out they had to order parts (parking sensor and some bumper clips) one of which was on backorder and has to come from S. Korea. I could have picked the van up while they waited for parts but it would have required another 7 hour round trip drive, so it's still at the dealer. They called me this afternoon to say it's ready and we'll make the trip to pick it up tomorrow.

Been reading the owners manual cover to cover in anticipation of getting this thing! Just in time because we leave for vacation to Vermont on Friday; wish I had more time to put it through the paces.. but trial by fire will have to work I suppose!

Very interested to see which tires they installed. Knowing that the dealer would probably opt for the cheapest crap tire possible, my condition was name brand "domestic" tire, and I told them I preferred Continentals (can't really buy a bad or cheap Continental tire). The cheapest tire available in this size are Firestone All-Seasons, I hope they went with something more premium or a grand-touring type tire.

Back