Photo showing oil pan off and position of dipstick.

^^^ Are these the locations? Looks like there is a lot of headroom between "Low" and the oil pickup. Hope you don't mind me marking up your photo.

[Linked Image]

Yes, those are the high and low marks. I guess, the best way to get this figured out would be for everyone to add one quart at a time until it registers on the dipstick. Then start the engine. You will probably get oil pressure.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slybunda
is there room for overfilling then?

Looks like there would be, and then the fluid would be above the windage tray and would be whipped by the crankshaft counter weights causing aeration.
smile.gif

Walmart left my BiL's old 5.7L Burb a good 3 quarts low on a M1 change
Fortunately he lived in flat country and close to work ...
He pulled in and a coworker said it sounds funny

I made a few measurements. My sump is 9 x 6 " by 4 inches deep for 216 cubic inches. That is 3-3/4 quarts minus the displacement of pickup tube. That leaves about 1-1/4 quarts that are above the top of the sump inside the oil pan. That part of the pan measures 16 x 6 inches. One quart is .6 inches in depth and approximately 1-1/8 inch as indicated by the sloping dipstick. I'm thinking when it indicates full, the oil level is about 2 inches above the top of the sump, and when it is at the low mark, it's just under 1.5 inches above with the top of the sump. When it doesn't show on the stick, the sump is still full and has about .9 inches of oil above the sump. The distance from the top of the sump to the top of the pan is 3 inches. The oil level is not above the gasket. Please don't nail me to a cross on all this.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Back