[photo] My next oil change . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you guys' opinions on why Ducati would go from being fairly permissive on viscosity (per air temp range) with no mention of JASO at all in the manual for 2010-2014 generation of Multistrada's but for the new gen (model year 2015+) they lock it down to 15W50, API SM, and JASO MA2 in the manual?

Oil pressure plays a role in operation of their new variable valve timing system, could they be locking down the viscosity requirement in the manual because of how oil pressure plays into that system and the system's function was designed around the pressure characteristics of 15W50 in the DVT motor?

I guess Ducati feels a SM rated 15/50 wt oil should hold up and not shear down too bad. Does the Ducati share it's motor oil with the clutch? If not, I don't see how that would matter to anything. I don't know of any bike manufacturer that specs a API rated oil for their bikes. Harley says you can use Diesel oil if their oil isn't available. That's as close as a API rating you'll see. But they also say to change it out as soon as possible back to their oil. I guess they know Diesel oil isn't good for the long run in a Harley.,,

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
What are you guys' opinions on why Ducati would go from being fairly permissive on viscosity (per air temp range) with no mention of JASO at all in the manual for 2010-2014 generation of Multistrada's but for the new gen (model year 2015+) they lock it down to 15W50, API SM, and JASO MA2 in the manual?

Oil pressure plays a role in operation of their new variable valve timing system, could they be locking down the viscosity requirement in the manual because of how oil pressure plays into that system and the system's function was designed around the pressure characteristics of 15W50 in the DVT motor?

I have no idea, interesting though as many vehicles go to lighter oil. My only thought would be, is it possible the engine is designed to run at a higher temperature?
Or what you said about the timing system or both?

I checked out your 2016 manual, your correct about the API SM, Jaso MA 2. 15/50
It's not an easy oil to find at a reasonable cost in the USA to the best of my knowledge
? unless you go to a 20/50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I guess Ducati feels a SM rated 15/50 wt oil should hold up and not shear down too bad. Does the Ducati share it's motor oil with the clutch? If not, I don't see how that would matter to anything. I don't know of any bike manufacturer that specs a API rated oil for their bikes. Harley says you can use Diesel oil if their oil isn't available. That's as close as a API rating you'll see. But they also say to change it out as soon as possible back to their oil. I guess they know Diesel oil isn't good for the long run in a Harley.,,

OR they know using diesel rated oil instead of their HD brand will hurt their profit.......your arguing just for the sake of arguing......I've followed your tirade with alarmguy for a few years now and came obviously see you have some kind of Chip on your shoulder for whatever reason, don't really care why but your not doing yourself or members any good. Sorry I have to post that but it's getting annoying.

If you ride the Ducati only in warm weather, I doubt you'll notice any difference between a 15/50 and a 20/50. If you ride in cold weather below 40 f, it might be a tad harder to start if the battery isn't 100%. Take a look at the VOA's and see if you can find an oil that matches what the factory spec's, and go with that one. If there's a UOA in there, that should give an even better idea how it will hold up.,,

Originally Posted By: pwr2tow

OR they know using diesel rated oil instead of their HD brand will hurt their profit.......your arguing just for the sake of arguing......I've followed your tirade with alarmguy for a few years now and came obviously see you have some kind of Chip on your shoulder for whatever reason, don't really care why but your not doing yourself or members any good. Sorry I have to post that but it's getting annoying.
So clarifying a point the other person refuses to acknowledge is a tirade?. Who are you and why should I care if your annoyed?.,,,

Thank you, if you noticed I too have learned over the years, to say what I have to and make my point clear. I am glad you see it, as others must too. I just dont get it, again, I got better at moving on once I said my peace. The only reason I do feel the need to keep responding is for the benefit of others reading these posts. Just trying to help them make informed decisions, why? I have no idea, just like helping out.

BigCahuna said:
...I've followed your tirade with alarmguy for a few years now and came obviously see you have some kind of Chip on your shoulder for whatever reason, don't really care why but your not doing yourself or members any good. Sorry I have to post that but it's getting annoying.
So clarifying a point the other person refuses to acknowledge is a tirade?. Who are you and why should I care if your annoyed?.,,,

You just had to say it ...
ONE LAST time, if you noticed, I stopped commenting a day ago, but you had to say it again, ANYONE in here can read ALL these posts and clearly see you are wrong. I am NOT this person, "So clarifying a point the other person refuses to acknowledge"
Read the posts .. here is some help just a few posts above this one and the page before it. Anyway, glad others see it, now I feel I do not have to continue ruining the OPs thread any longer with you.

My last post ... on this now that I know others "get it" click ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back