Phone and computer scams, post them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I just got another phone call a short while ago, from Microsoft again, only this was a recording this time telling me my computer was infected.
The recording was from a very English speaking person telling me to do this and that but the prefered method was to hit 9 on the phone to speak to a Microsoft tech. The call had the distinct, I am scammer ring to it, so I knew right away something was up.

Since the New Year, I have received 3 calls to have our ducts cleaned. One at 9:30 am on Boxing day no less!

My wife had to deal with a guy today at work (GM) who wanted all his banking info at work changed over. He received an e-mail about a recent e-transfer, which he did, but found it odd the e-transfer was addressed to him? Regardless, he opened it/the link and immediately had $2400 dollars taken from his account.
He phoned his bank, who of course told him it was a scam, and had his accounts frozen. From what I understand, if he didn't call immediately like he did, they were in the process of cleaning out other accounts or money somehow.

Regardless, all his accounts are now frozen, pending an investigation and he has no access to money, no Visa or other CC.

I receive others as well, like from a cable provider that we are already subscribed to. I told them this once as I thought it was legit but they keep calling me back wanting my business.
crackmeup2.gif

Let's hear some others that are out there, including American ones, if you also get them, which I assume you do.

The more we know, the less we will be fooled.

Also, as I Likely can't post it here, check out how to deal with telemarketers by Tom Mabe. Most of you will get a good chuckle out of it. "How to deal with a Telemarketer by Tom Mabe" Youtube.

Last edited:
Peter Popoff representative cold call trying to get me to "accept free holy water" for a miracle.

I told them i worship Say-tan.

...dial tone.

I cancelled my phone line because I get too many scammers calling - not to mention I save $500/year. It's ridiculous that this keeps going on. If I do answer the phone, I like to play games with them over the phone to see how far they will go to try and get me to get on my computer and start following their commands - fun stuff.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I cancelled my phone line because I get too many scammers calling - not to mention I save $500/year. It's ridiculous that this keeps going on. If I do answer the phone, I like to play games with them over the phone to see how far they will go to try and get me to get on my computer and start following their commands - fun stuff.
grin.gif

If I have the time I'll play with them too. I got the computer infected call a few times, classic. I had this tool on speaker phone and my wife and friend were in tears laughing. 45 minutes later I cut him loose.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Peter Popoff representative cold call trying to get me to "accept free holy water" for a miracle.

...dial tone.

I had to Google him as I don't recall seeing/hearing about him up here in Canada?
Sounds like, despite being exposed as a fraud, that he's back and people are going to him in droves! No wonder these scammers/fraudsters don't quit. They are making a killing ripping off these types, who despite the evidence put in front of them, still don't believe they are being scammed or ripped off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgW5gTp4bnM

To the other poster, glad you are able to string them along for 45 minutes. That would be a hoot.
I had one last week who I put on hold, but he hung up after about 5 minutes, despite me telling him at the 3 minute mark, I'd be right back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y65jzvkqDM

We've gotten a lot of calls from "Windows Division" about our infected computer. My wife used to take the calls, and tell them they were scammers, and were trying to scam her. I made her give me the phone after that - obviously they know it's a scam and it's a waste of time telling them that.

After venting on some if them with language that would make a sailor blush, I decided on a more effective solution. I would tell them the phone is on a cord in the kitchen, and the computer is in a back bedroom. It's a slow computer and a big house. I would then take instructions, and each step put the phone down while I went about my other business. I averaged 5-10 minutes between steps. I also had one up to 45 minutes before he finally gave up.

I figure if they are on the phone with me, they aren't available to scam some poor senior.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
We've gotten a lot of calls from "Windows Division" about our infected computer. My wife used to take the calls, and tell them they were scammers, and were trying to scam her. I made her give me the phone after that - obviously they know it's a scam and it's a waste of time telling them that.

After venting on some if them with language that would make a sailor blush, I decided on a more effective solution. I would tell them the phone is on a cord in the kitchen, and the computer is in a back bedroom. It's a slow computer and a big house. I would then take instructions, and each step put the phone down while I went about my other business. I averaged 5-10 minutes between steps. I also had one up to 45 minutes before he finally gave up.

I figure if they are on the phone with me, they aren't available to scam some poor senior.

They were calling my mom and I told her to tell them something similar, but with a twist:

My instructions to here were to tell them that they had got her on the landline and that her computer was at the other end of the house and if they could please call her back on her cell she'd be happy to let them look into the issue. She'd then provide them with the number for the RCMP Cybercrime hotline
grin.gif
They stopped calling her.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

They were calling my mom and I told her to tell them something similar, but with a twist:

My instructions to here were to tell them that they had got her on the landline and that her computer was at the other end of the house and if they could please call her back on her cell she'd be happy to let them look into the issue. She'd then provide them with the number for the RCMP Cybercrime hotline
grin.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: wemay

...dial tone.

I had to Google him as I don't recall seeing/hearing about him up here in Canada?
Sounds like, despite being exposed as a fraud, that he's back and people are going to him in droves! No wonder these scammers/fraudsters don't quit. They are making a killing ripping off these types, who despite the evidence put in front of them, still don't believe they are being scammed or ripped off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgW5gTp4bnM

To the other poster, glad you are able to string them along for 45 minutes. That would be a hoot.
I had one last week who I put on hold, but he hung up after about 5 minutes, despite me telling him at the 3 minute mark, I'd be right back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y65jzvkqDM

Hes making a killing alright. Just bought a 4.5 million dollar home. I think I'm in the wrong business.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

grin.gif

That's a great idea!! I am going to have to look up that number and keep it handy.

Thanks for the laugh.
cheers3.gif

I've been binge watching videos posted by The Hoax Hotel on Youtube. Scambaiting at it's best. My father (now 80) received the Microsoft scam call a few years ago and since he's somewhat of a computer geek he knew all about it. Strung the caller along for a good 20 minutes or so until the scammer completely lost it and called my dad a m'er f'er and hung up. He still laughs about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back