PF plier test

Pry bar won’t work on checking a loaded ball joint as the suspension spring will already be applying force to it. Have to test by compressing it.
My mechanic in Germany had a pit with "shakers" for the wheels. Easily exposed marginal joints and bushings.

Haven't seen a similar setup stateside.

My mechanic in Germany had a pit with "shakers" for the wheels. Easily exposed marginal joints and bushings.

In Germany shock/suspension, brake test dyno, proper headlight aiming optical viewer are common and the norm. For a tech advanced country the US is still in the stone age of automotive repair, no offence intended it is the truth as sad as it is.
The bounce test for shocks, leaving black stipes to check brakes, removing shocks to see how they work and checking headlight aim on a wooden board is beyond Mickey Mouse.

Did some work for a company called MAHA. They are one of the leaders of the German “test lanes” that do this kinda testing for TÜV inspections. They installed a test lane at a CTC in Toronto. Also got to visit the factory in Bavaria. Really cool stuff!!

In Germany shock/suspension, brake test dyno, proper headlight aiming optical viewer are common and the norm. For a tech advanced country the US is still in the stone age of automotive repair, no offence intended it is the truth as sad as it is.
The bounce test for shocks, leaving black stipes to check brakes, removing shocks to see how they work and checking headlight aim on a wooden board is beyond Mickey Mouse.
The only thing I didn't like was when he called out the leaking LAD bombs on my 750i.

Like: I know! You know! We all know they leak. Look the other way, Herr Mechaniker

We used to have TÜV guys at the depot every day, I knew most of them well even though they rotate them every few months. Every one of them it seems has their favorite area to go right after eg one guy wanted brake hoses replaced after 6 years, another one went after the most minuscule oil seepage not even a leak.
All in all though I find it a great thing to have the vehicle gone over with a fine tooth comb by someone who really knows what the frig they are doing.

Pry bar won’t work on checking a loaded ball joint as the suspension spring will already be applying force to it. Have to test by compressing it.
I bet you can figure out how to do that!

Besides, if I'm checking suspension I'm inevitably jacking it up and taking the wheel off anyway.

Back