PF-52 Filters Not All The Same

Status
Not open for further replies.
While changing my oil earlier this week I happened to notice that the AC PF-52 installed earlier by my GM dealer was different from the AC PF-52 filter I purchased at WalMart. The one from the dealer bears p/n 25171377 and is maybe 3/4 inch longer than the one from WalMart which bears p/n 19210286. Looking into the end of both filters there are some differences in construction. Also the label is slightly different in that the dealer supplied filter says "Tighten 3/4 to 1 turn" whereas the one from WM says "Tighten 3/4 turn".

I would have thought all PF-52 filters were the same but now I'm confused. Hoping someone can explain why these filters have different part numbers and if this is anything I should be concerned about. Knowing this, I plan to check filters at some othere auto parts houses to see what number they carry.

I think the dealer uses the Wix built version. I've seen that and also the Champion Labs built version on the shelf. Either one is fine, but if you order the AC/Delco "Classic" I'm pretty sure you get the Wix built version.

greasemonk,

Shorter version is the e-Core version made by Champion Labs. I actually prefer the nylon core for improved flow. I believe the filter media is very similar if not identical between the two.

Gary

I have both the Wix version and pre-Ecore Champ Labs version on my shelf. They are labeled and numbered identically. So, the WalMart one must be E-Core.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted a few weeks ago that all the PF-52s at my local Walmart are now Champ Ecores. Not sure if they are still making the "classic" or not. Even if they are not producing the old design anymore I would expect that some of the non Ecores will be on shelves for some time if they had a lot of stock or don't sell a lot of filters at a particular store. I have no problem with the Ecore and would not be concerned at all. There is a lot of information on this site about the Champ Ecore design.

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
greasemonk,

Shorter version is the e-Core version made by Champion Labs. I actually prefer the nylon core for improved flow. I believe the filter media is very similar if not identical between the two.

Gary

actually according to a email I sent to champ, the AcDelco ecore and SuperTech ecore are pretty much the same. Also, according to the email the Ecore VS the Non-Ecore had updated filter media that was better. Is it true? Not sure, but I have no reason to doubt it isnt.

link to the thread with the email: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1637601#Post1637601

I actually switched from AcDelco to Supertech for my 5k oci's just because 2.50 vs 4 bucks is a 1.50 I save.

This is from an AC Delco Newsletter May 2009:

Filter Design Change - PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 (WD Bulletin 09D-054)
ACDelco is implementing a design change on the PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 ACDelco Oil Filters due to
capacity constraints on the current product design. GM engineers have approved the new design which will
begin to be incorporated in upcoming vehicle designs. This OE approved and manufactured filter provides
the same Duraguard filtration performance as the previous design and specifically utilizes the original
ACDelco media that traps particles up to 25 microns. Additional features include a slightly smaller can, fully
covered baseplate, non metallic end caps and high strength nylon core. This newly designed oil filter has
the benefits of not only bringing excellent filtration performance, it is also environmentally friendly with
components that can now be easily separated into steel, oil and parts to incinerate, resulting in less waste.
At this time, the Durapack versions of the alternative design filter will begin shipping. The boxed or
individually packaged versions will utilize the available production capacity on the original design, where
possible, and will otherwise begin to rollover to the new alternative design.
ACDelco appreciates your business and stands behind each and every filter that we distribute with pride
and confidence. Should you have any concerns or questions at all, please feel free to contact your local
ACDelco sales representative.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
"Capacity constraints" huh? Must have been why we ran across those Wix built filters. Must have been about that time frame.

code word for ecore is cheaper. lol

Originally Posted By: defektes
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
"Capacity constraints" huh? Must have been why we ran across those Wix built filters. Must have been about that time frame.

code word for ecore is cheaper. lol

Well, yeah. Im thinking they ran out of capacity for the regular Champ, so they ordered a couple runs from Wix as an interim while they approved the ECore. Wix filters are built well, so Ecores are a lot cheaper than those.

oh defenentaly, ecore has to be much cheaper. But none the less a good filter.

yes ecore has no metal end caps but dont worry they are quality and are excellent filters. My wal mart has a but load of the old non-ecore champ ac's. wonder if I should go stock up on them. hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back