Peugeot

I had a 404 sedan for wife when pregnant for second boy. Rode like a 60's Caddy. Had all options including aftermarket AC that was cold. It was a1968 model as I recall. Never had motor trouble but the ZF automatic had to be removed twice. First time was when the E clip came off the shaft of the governor valve and next time was when a weld came off in the torque convertor. Drove nice with plenty of room.

Those were one of the poor ones (dont know if it was more a BMW or Peugeot problem) as well as well as the 1st gen 1.6HDi DW series(developed with Ford I think).

All Prince engined BMW (N13), Mini (R55 - R61), Pug and Citroen as well as
some more recent Opel/Vauxhall (mainly hybrid) do share the same issues.

All Prince engined BMW (N13), Mini (R55 - R61), Pug and Citroen as well as
some more recent Opel/Vauxhall (mainly hybrid) do share the same issues.
Ouch, just noticed your signature. Commiserations.
How is your Mini Cooper doing if you dont mind me asking.
I forgot how the story went and who dropped the ball.
Anyway just remembered the 2.2l DW bi-turbo also had issues, so yep
research is always in order and no sweeping statements(note to self).

We rented a 5008 and drove it around Croatia. The handling and ride quality were FAR better than they had any right to be. Nice picnic trays and hidden storage in the back seat , funky ergonomics. Great mpg, although a very tall first gear meant for a lot of clutch slip driving in mountainous towns. And I’m sure it’s because a rental but the second gear synchros were gone by 8000 kms. It’s such a disservice that we can’t get them here.

How is your Mini Cooper doing if you dont mind me asking.

This is a car forum, so you're welcome to ask.

It's doing fairly well at just 33,554 mls. I went with the NA Cooper just
because its N16 (same as EP6C) is less prone to issues compared to its
turboed brother with the DI N14/N18 engine (roughly same as EP6DT).
DI means more stress on the timing chain (which is the same on all the
Prince engines), more soot contamination to the oil and additional IVD
issues the N12 and N16 NA engines don't have due to port injection.
Since this is our city car and grocery getter power is more than enough.
I even like this engine and 6-speed manual combination, I'm just not
convinced it'll run flawlessly for a longer preiod of time. Timing chain,
VANOS units and valves, thermostat, perhaps the cat. I wouldn't be too
surprised if I had to replace these items.

we had one like this in the family a long ago

1200px-Peugeot_204_front_20120630.jpg

We rented a 5008 and drove it around Croatia. The handling and ride quality were FAR better than they had any right to be. Nice picnic trays and hidden storage in the back seat , funky ergonomics. Great mpg, although a very tall first gear meant for a lot of clutch slip driving in mountainous towns. And I’m sure it’s because a rental but the second gear synchros were gone by 8000 kms. It’s such a disservice that we can’t get them here.

Had one in Italy. Was one of the largest vehicles Sixt offered, and had to be reserved in advance. Their "large" is our "medium."

For something the size of an X3 or Q5, way more space efficient. Neither of those could dream of carrying five people and their luggage, and have a third row jump seat if the cargo space wasn't needed.

The efficient little sub-2.0l turbodiesel only struggled with pulling away cleanly, or not stalling, on steep inclines if it wasn't given enough throttle. Clutch was also a little heavy and vague. But otherwise, it drove fine, and was happy to cruise the Autostrade all day at 80 mph, and handle the winding country roads with no issues. Was a tight squeeze in the older parts of towns, but still quite manageable. The position of the instrument cluster looks a little too high and out of place, but is actually closer to the line of sight. No other quirks.

Sometimes, you get stuck with a rental you don't really like, which detracts from the overall experience, but the 5008 worked out really well.

Also had experience with a late 70s/early 80s sedan. It, too, was spacious and comfortable; many of the same attributes, and not really quirky. The Douvrin V6 could be finicky, but when running right, was ok.

Peugeots aren't really quirky in the sense that Citroens are (at least before they became watered down under PSA), they're just a typical car with some French flavor, not really much wilder than a Volvo, Jaguar, or other non-German Euro marque is. I like German cars, but don't like how they are considered the (safe, conservative, boring, even) expected benchmark, with everything else deemed odd, or weird. Post-Ford, renaissance Volvo was smart to try to play up its own Scandinavian identity, instead of trying to ape the Germans like many others do.

From a business standpoint, it's understandable why they won't be coming back to the U.S., but too bad. The market could use some variety.

Last edited:
My dad’s Jeep Comanche has a Peugeot transmission in it. They aren’t highly regarded, but it only has 90k miles or so on it too. The engine’s electronic system in it is also the result of a Renault and Bendix joint venture back in the 80’s.

Who among us doesn’t like a Citroen 2CV? Lots of good stuff from France.

They look cute...but sooooo slow.
Then again I'm biaised, cause I first encountered them when they were "super not cool", driven by old people and/or farmers.

The 600cm3 35hp engine is pretty cool though, now I wonder if the 1200 in the Citröen GS/GSA was just a 4cyl version of it...back when Citröen was doing quirky stuff, before PSA.

And lest anyone think that the company deserves its own topic just because it's some little quirky French brand, keep in mind that it was founded more than 200 years ago, making tools and kitchen equipment. Those Peugeot pepper grinders and bicycles? Yes, they share the same origins.

It first employed a DOHC engine in 1912, and won the Indy 500 with it.

Pikes Peak, rally, Dakar, Le Mans…like any other, the company has made its share of duds, but its overall CV is rich, and varied.

And coming soon

Last night Martin Short / Steve Martin drove a 504 PEUGEOT sedan in Episode 5 of " Only Murders In the Building " . Named it " Aphrodite " . Started watching it a few weeks ago . Great show . :D

Here's the 504 used in the series .

IMG_7531.JPG

The Datsun dealer had new Peugeot 403 sedans for sale, probably the last year made. I test drove one, was for my dad, who said “too much money.” I think it was around $2000.
A Ford dealer was clearing out new Renault Dauphines for $1000, test drove one of those too. If only had pictures besides the memory. I really wish I had a mint 403 today, just a well made car. These and the 404 came with a crank to start the engine, if an emergency.

Last edited:
My wife bought me a PEUGEOT quartz watch(not the same company as the car) a really long time ago. It still works but it is really a POS.

Back