Peugeot

I've always liked quirky French cars. Had a roommate once that owned an old Renault. I liked to drive it. Drove a 504 Peugeot a few times too. It was built like a tank and slow as a '90s Compaq computer but it had a very supple and comfortable ride. I would like to find a decent 505 with a non-turbo four engine and manual trans.

Has anybody driven one, owned one, or worked on one? 🇫🇷

1639933376507.jpg

when i first relocated overseas in early 1980s peugeot offered an aggressive expat sales program, especially for africa and india. folks drove them there for 2-3 years and sold them for the purchase price when relocating. they were indeed tanks. i went to southeast asia so i hopped on the toyota train.

Back in the 90s I worked at Pizza Hut with an Asian dude, who's parent's owned one of those.
He brought it to work a few times.
I was in awe of it, but in after looking a bit further into it I realized it wasn't anything more appealing/exotic than my 81 Volvo
🤷‍♂️

I owned a 1985 505 STi that I bought new. Bit of a dog to get up to speed, but was probably the most comfortable car I have ever owned. Great highway cruiser.

Beautiful cars. I have some questions pls;

What did you like most about them?
Like the least about them?
Are they anything unusual to work on and repair?
Are parts available or have to get friendly with a French man to find them?
Are they reliable?
Which model is the best?

I always thought the 505 was a handsome car. The wagon is a real cargo ship.

I've always liked quirky French cars. Had a roommate once that owned an old Renault. I liked to drive it. Drove a 504 Peugeot a few times too. It was built like a tank and slow as a '90s Compaq computer but it had a very supple and comfortable ride. I would like to find a decent 505 with a non-turbo four engine and manual trans.

Has anybody driven one, owned one, or worked on one? 🇫🇷

View attachment 81507
My mother had a 505 Ming blue with the 2.2 (117hp then 130 when they switch the badge from STI to GTI).
My father's daily driver is a 504 with the 2,3l Indenor diesel. Slowwwww.

I always liked how they looked, but the Citroën 2,5L turbo diesel engine was just a "better" (ie more car style than truck) engine, or so I thought, than the various Indenor Peugeot offered.

Last edited:
I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat if they still made them. Ride like a limousine. Went to Morocco years ago and they used them for taxis. I think they still built them in a plant in Nigeria.

I passed on a very nice 405 a few years ago just because it needed a repaint. That was max stupid of me. It was gimme a ticket red like this;
1639944579396.jpg

Apparently they are still making them;

Back