Petro Canada supreme synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone was wondering about your thoughts on Petro Canada Supreme synthetic motor oil. Are there any recent uoa or VOA for this oil? Up where I live I bought a case of 12 1 liter bottles of 5W20 for my 2008 Honda Civic 1.8 as well as 0w20 for my 2016 Subaru Forester 2.5 For $110 CAD each from a petro Canada distributor. Any thoughts on these for these applications? It would be for year-round use for mostly highway driving but some stop and go as well. Also I am thinking of sending in a sample for a VOA to Blackstone anybody have any interest in which one 0w20 or 5W20? Thanks very much and any comments suggestions or otherwise are appreciated.

Petro-Canada makes really good oils, use with confidence.

Their regular 5W-30 ran the best of any oil in my 2002 Cavalier.

Unfortunately, you didn't get a great price on them - much better deals can be had buying other synthetics on sale at CT or WM. If you won't go that route, or really want to run PC oil, then you did what you could.

Excellent oil at an excellent price. I've used their oil extensively with no complaints on consumption, and the UOA's always came back with a very serviceable product.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Excellent oil at an excellent price. I've used their oil extensively with no complaints on consumption, and the UOA's always came back with a very serviceable product.

$9.20 a liter, by my math, is not an excellent price IMO. $110 a case and 12 liters a case.

PP at $28 for 4.73 liters at WM deal is an "OK" price, $5.92 a liter.

Originally Posted By: Danno

$9.20 a liter, by my math, is not an excellent price IMO. $110 a case and 12 liters a case.

Yeah, I wasn't paying anywhere NEAR that, I think it was around $5-something a litre the last time I bought it?

Originally Posted By: Danno

Yeah I knew it wasn't the best price I could get on a synthetic although it does beat the eneos sustina 0w20 I was putting in the Subaru at approximately $ 115 for 6 quarts.

The taxes are included within that price I gave FYI. I decided to pay it because I wanted to to try it and could only buy it by the case.

From what I can see the 0w20 has a higher TBN than the rest of the Petro Canada synthetic lineup. It shows the TBN on their technical bulletin sheet of 7.9 but if you look at their lubricants handbook the 0w20 has a total Base number of above 9.

Originally Posted By: ST2008
Do somebody know what group this oil belongs to ?

It is Group III based. Petro-Canada makes their own Group III.

Good oil but I wouldnt buy it again for that price. PP usually on sale at WM for 28.88 and M1 at CT for about 34 bucks per 5 qts. Or grab some if you happen to be in the USA. Not sure exchange is worth it...

Originally Posted By: JC1
For what you paid, you better not be dumping that oil at 5000km.

What filters will you use along with the oil.

I follow maintenance schedule for both; civic maintenance minder usually comes on at 12000kms and use a fram Ultra xg7317. With the Subie 10000km OCI and a subaru oem blue oil filter mostly because of the supposed bypass spec at 27 psi and to avoid any warranty issues.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
That price is horrible for an average GroupIII synth.

Yes I know I could have paid less. The car/oil feeling in me took over when I bought haha.
As a comparison however Mobil 1 afe 0w20 is $65 on Walmart.ca for 6 litres

PUP 5w20 is 70 bucks at a shell Canada distributor for 6 quarts.

The subie takes 5.1 litres and most of the M1 afe that goes on sale at Canadian tire is in 4.4litre jugs so I'd have to buy another litre anyways.

You're right HKPolice; the price is horrible for an average group III synthetic.
Are Petro-Can synthetic engine oils below or above average?

The USD exchange rate has been between .75 and .80 for months, and a liter is about 105% X US quart.

What is Ontario's HST and environmental fees on lubricants?

Originally Posted By: R18A1

Yes I know I could have paid less. The car/oil feeling in me took over when I bought haha.

The subie takes 5.1 litres and most of the M1 afe that goes on sale at Canadian tire is in 4.4litre jugs so I'd have to buy another litre anyways.

You must have missed the sale on Castrol Edge (gold bottle) at Canadian Tire. I got the 5 litre jugs for just over $30/jug.

Where are you in ONT? If you're in the GTA area, there are lots of options for quality full synth @ $6/L or less. Canadian Tire gift cards go on sale for 10% off fairly frequently as well.

Where are you in ONT? If you're in the GTA area, there are lots of options for quality full synth @ $6/L or less. Canadian Tire gift cards go on sale for 10% off fairly frequently as well.

Or you could just cross the bridge...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back