Pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big clog of traffic following a cop on the highway who is doing about 4mph under the speed limit. I'll bet the guy is on the radio with his pals, "Lets see how slow I can get these people to go". If I can safely get to the front of the pack I do EXACTLY the speed limit and pass the cop.

Had a slow left lane driver experience today though.

Got on the highway and moved over to the left hand lane. A police officer was in front of me doing a good clip (mid-60s in a 60mph zone). He came up on a self-appointed left hand lane regulator who was doing maybe 55 - again, in a 60mph zone. Do gooder didn't move over for the policeman on his tail. The cop hugged the guy's bumper for about 30 seconds. No way I would have crawled up someone's tail like he did. Then hit his lights. The wannabe enforcer moved over and he hit it to upper 70s. Lights went off right away so he had no call to get to. I followed at a reasonable 70mph so he easily made distance between us.

It ****** me off the way Harley guys try to act tough and think they're better than everyone else but they're really a stupid, middle-aged guy that works as an accountant.

Also the way the media makes sport bike riders look bad doing stunts, riding fast etc etc and show all the Harley guys doing fundraising rides and charity events. Come to think of it though, wouldn't that make all sportbike guys on Japanese built bikes the rebels, the lawless criminals and Harley guys "the man" .. Oh my, how the tables have turnes

Oh yea, I also hate people on cell phones while they drive, or putting on makeup, yelling at their kids etc, etc.

And another thing, what's the deal with cell phones ?? I mean do people think they make you look that cool, I mean I'm sure we're past the point that they're a "status symbol" like they were going back to what, the 80's. Do people living their boring little placid lives really need to be reached that badl, I mean I never hear people have intelligent conversations. I'm glad to say that I've never owned one and hopefully never will..
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
Women who leave the toilet seat down.

lol.gif

For me this probably borders on being more of an obsession rather than just a pet peeve but closets, drawers or cabinets that are left slightly open drive me NUTS! I walk in the front door and find the coat closet door half open, I walk down the hallway and the linen closet door is half open; into my bedroom and the wife's closet door is half open; one or two of her dresser drawers are not quite pushed all the way closed (of course with pieces of unmentionables sticking partially out of the drawer). The kids have left their closet doors open (no doubt learned from their mother). Into the kitchen to find one of the cupboards left ajar.
mad.gif

Ya know, I think she's trying to drive me to the asylum. It's working
banghead.gif

People who take 10 minutes to execute a lane change, and then they're still not completely over in the new lane! These types aren't usually turn signals users either.

quote:

originally posted by Pablo:
Neighbor kid's friend come to pick up him up, but never leaves the car. Just honks and waits. Keeps honking until he comes out.

Yeah, and it's even worse when their subwoofer volume is maxed out too.
mad.gif

2.) When drivers are in the left lane, then hit their brakes and slow WAY down before getting over into the left-hand turn lane.
3.) People that don't recognize "flash to pass".
4.) Harley open pipes.
5.) "No Turn on Red" signs.
6.) People that dress slobbish, don't comb their hair and think it's "fashionable".
7.) On the freeway, there's an accident thats been cleared to the side and the cops are there, but traffic still slows down and gets backed up for miles.

[ December 02, 2004, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: 69 Riv GS ]

quote:

People that don't recognize "flash to pass".

Doing this is actually one of my pet peeves. Why should I move over? Because you say so? This is just totally rude of drivers. I've been in the left lane, passing slower cars in the right lane and doing a good ten over the speed limit, when some moron comes up behind me trying to do eighty.... and "flashes" me! No freakin way am I going to let this clown get by! If you want to pass somebody then look for an open spot and signal for a lane change. Nobody has to move out of the way because someone says so with a "flash".... especially if you're doing over the speed limit!

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

3. People that talk in the movie theater loud. SHUT THE F'UP and watch the movie you little pr*cks. That is what I want to say. Might have to someday.
tongue.gif

just did that myself around halloween. some ******* parent drops the kids off, unattended, at the theater. this little ****** behind me won't shut up, so i gracefully turned around and said:

shut the **** up or i will beat you to ******* death.

the whole time i'm wondering how much jail time i'll get for physically disciplining this wayward youth.

i felt better, but it only lasted for a few minutes.

(this post will have a lot of *** in it)

quote:

Originally posted by andrews:

quote:

Doing this is actually one of my pet peeves. Why should I move over? Because you say so? This is just totally rude of drivers. I've been in the left lane, passing slower cars in the right lane and doing a good ten over the speed limit, when some moron comes up behind me trying to do eighty.... and "flashes" me! No freakin way am I going to let this clown get by! If you want to pass somebody then look for an open spot and signal for a lane change. Nobody has to move out of the way because someone says so with a "flash".... especially if you're doing over the speed limit!

I agree that a "flash to pass" when the other driver is already doing X over the speed limit and passing traffic is a little much. Most of mine have already been posed but how about the people who merge onto the 70mph freeway at 50mph? Not only is that extremely annoying but dangerous also.

People who drive like idiots and then complain when others drivers do the same thing they did 5 minutes ago.

And this one shouldn't really bug me, but it does - People who say they "could care less" when they really mean they couldn't care less.

Anybody who drives faster or slower than me
wink.gif

When I go through the drive through at a fast food joint and I have to wait for my food. After I get my food, it's wrong and there are no napkins. If I get a sundae, they forgot to give me a spoon.

People who stand in the middle of a doorway or isle, having a conversation, blocking the way for others to get through. This is worse in the winter. They start to leave, open the door, then stand and talk, holding the door open.

People who don't use their turn signals. With the amount of people who neglect this, you'd think the lever weighed 60 tons and required all your strength to move. Drives me nuts.
mad.gif

Also people who don't pay attention. I can't tell you how many people I've seen running the light at the end of my street (a main collector street for the subdivision). I've actually started to get a kick out of waiting until they just enter the intersection, when my light has been green for 3 - 5 seconds, then hitting the gas and laying on the horn. Scares the s--- out of them. You wouldn't believe the looks of terror I've seen.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by me:

quote:

Originally posted by andrews:

Andrews, I hear where your coming from. I DO see some selfish drivers abuse "flash to pass".
When I'm in the fast/passing lane and approch a slower moving driver, I ascertain the situation; - are there any cars in front of them? Are they actively passing other vehicles? If so I will not "flash to pass", it would be rude and pointless. I will use it however, if the lane is open in front of them and they have completed their pass.
No one has to move over, but I believe it is proper driving etiquette to do so; and I feel the actual rate of speed that I, or the other driver are traveling is irrelevant.
smile.gif
dunno.gif

"Doing this is actually one of my pet peeves. Why should I move over?"

BECAUSE IT'S THE LAW

"Because you say so?"

SEE ABOVE

"...This is just totally rude of drivers. I've been in the left lane, passing slower cars in the right lane and doing a good ten over the speed limit, when some moron comes up behind me trying to do eighty.... and "flashes" me! No freakin way am I going to let this clown get by! If you want to pass somebody then look for an open spot and signal for a lane change. Nobody has to move out of the way because someone says so with a "flash".... especially if you're doing over the speed limit!"

chill, dude........

as long as you are passing cars you are fine in the left lane regardless of how fast/slow you are going. The law does not say you must speed up.

How-some-ever...as soon as you are no longer passing cars, it doesn't matter if you are going 200 mph over the speed limit you are to pull over. period. It's the law whether you like it or not.

The law (in Texas and most states) is pretty simple: "the left lane is for passing only."

It also says "slower traffic keep right".

nowhere does it say: "...unless you are already going the speed limit." 100 is slower than 120.

The person behind you flashing his lights will just have to wait until you complete your pass. That's fine, and if you are passing someone and bozo behind you insists on testing his highbeams, it's his problem. He's not rude, just an idiot.

BUT, once you have finished passing the law says you must move over.

What about the idiots that get up beside a truck and slow down, taking a half hour to get around it. Then they pulll over in the right lane and do 80 until they catch up to another truck.

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:

BECAUSE IT'S THE LAW

Not in Maine its not... it'll get you pulled over actually. Don't remember what the charge is though.

-Bret

1. People who turn a little left first to take a right turn....

2.People who walk around with their laces untied and dragging around.

3.Snow on the floor of my truck,wife does this alot and it drives me up the freakin wall..(I stop sometimes and pick it all out and the whole time she says what,what..
mad.gif
)

cheers.gif

Kenw,
It isn't the "law" in my state to only drive in the right lane "except to pass". Slower traffic are advised to keep right but you can still use the left lane as long as you are doing the legal speed limit. It cracks me up how some people feel that the left lane was built just for them. I've driven across this country six times in the past three years and the most rude and annoying jerks on the nations highways are these punks that feel you need to get out of their way, so that they can go as fast as they want. "Flashing to pass" is also ILLEGAL in my state... so that should tell you something about the legitimacy of it.
69 Riv GS, it is highly relevant what speed one is going in ANY lane. If I was doing ninety in the left lane and a guy wants to pass me, we would both get ticketed. And speed also matters when it comes to common sense. It isn't "ettiquete" to get out of a dorks way if you're going well over the limit. The poor "ettiquete" would fall upon the guy trying to treat the highway as his own personal racing track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back