Pet Insurance

New Golden Retriever, 5 months old. No prior experience. Anyone have pet insurance and have advice/recommendations on insurance?

We have insurance for our cat through I believe the ASPCA. My wife pays the bills so I don't have details beyond that.

Like any insurance, you'll end up paying more in the long run but it sure helps when you get hit with a big bill. When we needed to get our cat's thyroid zapped two years ago, insurance paid for like $1500 of the $2200 total. I was thrilled.

My work offers it. Read the fine print and see what is covered. I was at the veterinarian's office a while back and there was a big argument. Lady with her pet was told that the vet didn't accept their pet insurance. The lady with the pet said she purchased the insurance they advertised and pointed a to a poster on the wall advertising the insurance she purchased. The vet office people said they just advertise the insurance, they don't accept it.

My dogs were always pretty healthy and never required anything expensive. Think of it as an extended warranty.

New Golden Retriever, 5 months old. No prior experience. Anyone have pet insurance and have advice/recommendations on insurance?
I have had bad luck with them. Tried several and they give you pennies on the $$$.
When I had a puppy the vet themselves sold me a first year insurance which was great as they said most costs are year 1.

Buy another animal when the time comes. I am not being cold or mean but it is disgusting when people out of their selfishness put aminals through hades with medical treatments to make them selves feel better and waste $1000.00 upon $1,000.00 of dollars in the process. My opinion from years and years of owning many many wonderful anomals. I could brag on how awesome most were. Quality food is a good way to spend money for the dog it makes a huge difference.

Buy another animal when the time comes. I am not being cold or mean but it is disgusting when people out of their selfishness put aminals through hades with medical treatments to make them selves feel better and waste $1000.00 upon $1,000.00 of dollars in the process. My opinion from years and years of owning many many wonderful anomals. I could brag on how awesome most were. Quality food is a good way to spend money for the dog it makes a huge difference.
I hope your family doesn't have a similar opinion of your own health care.

Many animals can have surgery and go on to live many more years happy and healthy.

Many animals can have surgery and go on to live many more years happy and healthy.
Some can. I've seen people amputate a 15 year old dog's leg due to cancer. Dog lived another year. People don't want to let go which is understandable. People love their dogs.

Friend of mine's 95 year old father was in the hospital and he was complaining the hospital and doctors weren't doing enough. He just couldn't comprehend that there wasn't much to do and this was the end stage. Didn't feel it was my place to explain these things to him. I assume the same with all his other friends and wife. Even when his father went into hospice, he optimistically told me it was only for a short time. As if you went to hospice and came out a few days later feeling better. Guess no one explained that to him, either. The hospitals have to answer for large spends during end of life care. The vets don't seem to mind charging folks a lot of money to extend their pet's life a short time even with a diminished quality of life. People have a hard time letting go.

I helped my neighbor when her beloved cat was in bad shape due to age and illness.
She relunctedly took her kitty into the vet for the big shot.
She came home and told me, "It was easy and peaceful. Thank you."

Same.

I have family members, co-workers, etc, who have easily put $7-10K into their dogs with vet bills. People have different attitudes about this today and vets lap it all up.

I'm of the opinion that insurance is for life altering events, such as your house burning down or getting into a bad car crash. I tend to carry minimal insurance outside of those things.

However I can see the other way that if a two or three thousand dollar bill is going to really be a problem for someone, that maybe $40 a month is better for them. It will almost undoubtedly be more expensive in the long run though.

From what I hear, seems this is an industry that is along the lines of 3rd party extended "warranty" outfits.

Just save your money and pay for treatment as needed.

Or make a call as to how much you are willing to spend. Animals that live in the wild don't have health coverage. Just give them a painless death if you are not willing to spend 10s of thousands on pet chemo or whatever.

Actually, I hope my family does. I don't want to be kept alive just because they feel guilty about something that is a natural part of life. Instead of using finite resources to give someone a few more days, weeks, months or even years, give me a good bottle of whiskey, all the bacon and black coffee I want and let me die happy and as painlessly as possible.

Spending 100s of k's in money for a short addition to my life is not how I want my family to treat me when the time comes. Spend a few thousand and let me enjoy my last days in peace and comfort.

A pet is like a member of the family and you don't let them go easily.

My theory is that insurance is to pay for costs you can't afford, like your house burning down or running into a school bus and getting sued a few million dollars.

We've had 4 dogs and there are occasional big vet bills. But we can afford them so we don't carry pet insurance. The final illness and end of life is often costly, typically a thousand or more dollars. If a few thousand dollar vet bill would be a problem you probably should have pet insurance.

When my cocker was 7 he had this habit of running up the stairs as fast as he could. One day I heard a thud and went and there he was on the steps and couldn't move. We got him upstairs and he was walking around but you could tell he was in pain. Next morning he had no use of his hind quarters, he was pulling himself along with his front legs, it was the hardest thing I have ever witnessed. My wife ended up taking him to Manhattan Kansas. What happened was he chipped a vertebra and it went into his spinal cord. They spent a week down there and finally was able to bring him home with no guarantees. They said he may be able to walk again but would probably be limited in his activities. We spent the next couple months giving him physical therapy moving his legs several times a day. We uses a towel under his belly so he could go outside and do his business. One day we had him out and the towel slipped and he started walking on his own, slowly and awkwardly but walking. He lived another 8 years and was able to jump up in the recliner/couch go up and down stairs and even run. I'm not going to tell you what it cost and we had no insurance but it was worth every penny to have him another 8 years.

We’ve had great luck with Embrace pet insurance. They’ve never denied any of our claims and the “no prior approval needed”clause for emergencies was a Godsend when our Great Dane fell ill in the middle of the night on a Saturday. They paid out nearly $8K and sent us a sympathy card when they found out that he didn’t make it. They even refunded us the premium for the months that we no longer needed.

Back