Pesky new car dealer fees

Most of these add-on fees are a result of the crappy schemes these "businesspeople" have cooked up to pay the sales people.

Know this- I don't care what church the dealership owner(s) go to, who their parents are, kids are, how nice their wives are, whatever, their mindset is to screw everyone they look at each day.

It's a sad business. I assure you that if there were decent dealerships out there, they'd be full of respectable people working there, no greasy salespeople walking around in $2500 in clothing, perfect hair, ugly, uncomfortable shoes and stupid catch phrases.

They'd be full of sincere people, dressed normally, speaking to you in plain English like you were sitting at a dinner table or playing golf or fishing. The owners would be walking through the showroom occasionally, speaking with employees, customers and enjoying the fruits of their labor.

I despise going into a dealership showroom more than going to the dentist. It's not that I've been shafted, it's just the sleezy environment....

Know this- I don't care what church the dealership owner(s) go to, who their parents are, kids are, how nice their wives are, whatever, their mindset is to screw everyone they look at each day.
To be fair, their goal is to "maximize return for the organization." It would be silly to think that other business are not the same way. Car dealerships just tend to be more blatant about it.

I would have told the sales guy that he needed to learn to be a better negotiator.
The fees are not mandated by law, but the laws in each state say if the dealer charges a paperwork fee they must charge the same fee on every sale. So, you cannot negotiate on the paperwork fee, but you can negotiate to take the same amount off the sales price of the vehicle before the fee is added.

Most of these add-on fees are a result of the crappy schemes these "businesspeople" have cooked up to pay the sales people.

It's a sad business. I assure you that if there were decent dealerships out there, they'd be full of respectable people working there, no greasy salespeople walking around in $2500 in clothing, perfect hair, ugly, uncomfortable shoes and stupid catch phrases.

They'd be full of sincere people, dressed normally, speaking to you in plain English like you were sitting at a dinner table or playing golf or fishing. The owners would be walking through the showroom occasionally, speaking with employees, customers and enjoying the fruits of their labor.

I despise going into a dealership showroom more than going to the dentist. It's not that I've been shafted, it's just the sleezy environment....
There are good or better dealerships around, but not in every town I guess... I don't buy new often, but travelling to the nearest volume dealer with a negotiated price, may be worth it if all your local guys are sleazy. They may still test the waters a little to see if you will pay for paint and fabric protection BS, but they also have to move you and your vehicle out the door quickly to make their sales model work.

I've only bought new twice, and both times I was prepared with the out the door price, said no to the add ons. The first dealer and sales guy wouldn't play that way, so we left... The next dealer/salesman did and he got the sale, and we got out of there without either of us wasting our time.

Usually now google reviews do give you an idea of what their sales philosophy is, so you can prescreen them to start.

The fees are not mandated by law, but the laws in each state say if the dealer charges a paperwork fee they must charge the same fee on every sale. So, you cannot negotiate on the paperwork fee, but you can negotiate to take the same amount off the sales price of the vehicle before the fee is added.
This may be true in the state you are in, but it is not true in any state where I've bought a car or truck. I am aware of some states that regulate the maximum Doc fee that may be charged, but none that require it of everyone.
In which states are you aware that everyone must be charged the same fee?

I buy my Corvettes at MacMulkin Chevrolet in Nashua New Hampshire. They are the Number One Corvette dealer in the USA and do a nationwide business.

If you are an out of state buyer who will take delivery of your car at the dealer and will title and register the car yourself in your home state, there is zero administrative fees. They give you a GM Statement of Origin and your invoice, and you are good to go. There may be a fee for the cost of a New Hampshire temporary license plate, my memory is hazy on that. But its a modest charge.

Back