Perfect but old spare tire

On a vehicle with a full size spare, when changing out your tires do you keep the best tire as a spare? I do.

But what if the existing spare has never been used? The spare on my BMW was 20 years old, a very high quality Continental, and perfect. BMW recommends against rotating your tires so the original spare tire never got used. Which would be better, that old but unused tire or an almost used up but newer tire.

I would not run a 20 year old tire not after I had a tire fly apart on me on the tire machine last week. One of our service advisors has an old Mercedes and he was running the spare tire from 1984 when I went to take it off the thing just disintegrated. He planned on getting a new one anyway but it had never been used so he wanted it to be used. Just glad it didn’t blow out on him. I used to think old tires were fine but as I have gained experience I have steered away from that.

I would not run a 20 year old tire not after I had a tire fly apart on me on the tire machine last week. One of our service advisors has an old Mercedes and he was running the spare tire from 1984 when I went to take it off the thing just disintegrated. He planned on getting a new one anyway but it had never been used so he wanted it to be used. Just glad it didn’t blow out on him. I used to think old tires were fine but as I have gained experience I have steered away from that.
Tires are about done around 6-7 years. Any older and they are junk

Not worth saving the $100. I swap them out at 10 years. Would hate to be on a quiet county road with no cell service at night and discover my 20 year old spare can’t hold air once a car is on it.

That reminds me… pretty sure I have an OE pirelli from 1982 in my Mercedes…

So where does one get spare tire replacements, and will anyone mount them?
For a spare, I think the practical thing is to go to a tire store and buy a well used, never repaired, less than 5 year old tire in the same size. Have it mounted and balanced and you're good to go.

The spare is not likely to be used. And even less likely to be used for very far so having lots of tread shouldn't be an issue. I'd rather have a good quality tire with less tread, than a brand I've never heard of with lots of tread.

And the next time you replace your tires, assuming they aren't too old, have the best one mounted and balanced as a spare.

For a spare, I think the practical thing is to go to a tire store and buy a well used, never repaired, less than 5 year old tire in the same size. Have it mounted and balanced and you're good to go.

The spare is not likely to be used. And even less likely to be used for very far so having lots of tread shouldn't be an issue. I'd rather have a good quality tire with less tread, than a brand I've never heard of with lots of tread.

And the next time you replace your tires, assuming they aren't too old, have the best one mounted and balanced as a spare.
And get a new Valve Stem while you're at it.

I know that no one was asking however, when I had/have a full size spare tire, I like to do a 5 tire rotation and replace all 5 when the time come for new rubber. I don't mind spending the extra money to have a full size spare and on the same wheel as the other 4.

Last edited:
I would install a new valve stem and put a newer used tire on your vehicle. I installed a spare boat tire on an old boat trailer I had one time and it blew out as soon as I put the weight of the boat and trailer on the tire. Luckily it was in my driveway and I was getting new tires installed on the trailer anyway.

Sis actually PLANNED selling her '99 XJ 2 years out and even INFORMED ME about it; both unbelievable occurrences, I know.

I put the unused spare into "truncated" 5 tire rotations; meaning I shifted it back and forth on the front axle.

This staved off a tire purchase. At the time of sale the tires were still legal.

That Jeep was one of two "classic" vehicles which I thought would sell instantly. Man, was I wrong. It took an engineer daddy to see the 14 year old (171K mile) Cherokee was in fine fettle.

The 17 year old spare in my Ranger is no good you say?

Assuming the spare we are discussing is stored in the trunk and covered by the trunk floor there is some merit to the position that it has not been exposed to many of the elements that deteriorate tires.

Not that I'm saying using a 20 year old one is a great idea, but given a choice between a never used 15 year old spare from a trunk and a 10 year old worn out tire I would go with the 15 year old never used spare myself.

I watch a lot of videos on YouTube concerning old(er) vehicles. Often when they are showing a well preserved original 50 year old car they mention how it still has the original spare in the trunk and show it.
I sure wouldn't want to put that spare on if I were driving to a car show and got a blowout,

Back