Aging Spare Tire

While I was changing out the gear oil in the 2008 Burb, I lowered the spare tire from its position under the Burb just aft of the axle. It’s always exposed to the elements. I found it totally flat, so I tried to inflate it. The inflation valve was totally seized up in the open position. I inflated the tire but it instantly leaked out of the valve. I tried to unscrew the insert but no luck. The rim itself is pretty rusted so I might replace it. The tire is a 275 R70 16 with virtually no actual use. It’s the original spare and is a full size tire worth a few hundred to replace. Has anyone who has an older vehicle ever replaced a spare tire due to age? ( a question for high milers) This one was used twice for a few days each the last 16 years and has always been in the shade of the vehicle. There is no apparent damage to it.

By the way, does anyone check their spare’s inflation when mounted under the truck?

I agree with the above. I'm not sure I'd pay 300 for a spare, but yes I did replace spares in my vehicles 2 1/2 years ago. I realized that the spares in my cars that were 15+ years old, had never been changed. So I shelled out $50-80 per tire; I'll probably change them again in 10 years, if I still have these cars.

I check every one that goes on my lift. No one ever thinks to.

Worst design is ones mounted with the valve stem up so you can't check it. Some will argue this is good because it forces you to exercise the winch, but in reality no one EVER checks it if you can't easily get at the valve stem.

I'm certainly not going to dig through a customer's vehicle to get the linkages necessary to lower the spare, or if it cranks from inside the cargo area I may have to move a bunch of their belongings in back to open the cover. Just no.

When I replaced my OEM-installed travel trailer tires due to age, I included the spare which spent its whole 6-year life on the spare tire carrier with a cover over it. I should probably think about doing the same with the 13 year old spare tire under my F-150.

Yeah, 15 years rusted my lowering mechanism's chain in spots; spray lube and working it was needed.
My spare had 14.7 psi. <That is a joke. My spare had equalized with the atmosphere.
It's 19 years old now. I'll check it tomorrow.
Thanks

Time to replace. I just bought a new generic black steel wheel and the cheapest tire Discount Tire had for my '07 Sonata to replace the original donut.

Are you in need of tires anywhere on the Suburban? Could put one of the current tires on the spare wheel, then it doesn't cost anything but the mounting.

I take mine down every year when I rotate the tires. I use it as a place holder as I move them around.It is still the original 2003 tire that came from the factory. It never sees any UV and I always wipe it down with 303 and check the pressure which I normally keep at the sidewall max. No cracks but I should replace it just incase I ever really need it.

While I was changing out the gear oil in the 2008 Burb, I lowered the spare tire from its position under the Burb just aft of the axle. It’s always exposed to the elements. I found it totally flat, so I tried to inflate it. The inflation valve was totally seized up in the open position. I inflated the tire but it instantly leaked out of the valve. I tried to unscrew the insert but no luck. The rim itself is pretty rusted so I might replace it. The tire is a 275 R70 16 with virtually no actual use. It’s the original spare and is a full size tire worth a few hundred to replace. Has anyone who has an older vehicle ever replaced a spare tire due to age? ( a question for high milers) This one was used twice for a few days each the last 16 years and has always been in the shade of the vehicle. There is no apparent damage to it.

By the way, does anyone check their spare’s inflation when mounted under the truck?

Every service I checked them on customer cars. Caught a few that were totally deflated, but none required the wheel or tyre to be replaced, I did replace some valve stems though.

• Love
Reactions: D60
I wouldn't keep a spare under the truck exposed to all kinds of bad stuff.. Often they are very difficult to remove when in need. That's the last thing you want on a dark road needing to change a flat tire.

I wouldn't keep a spare under the truck exposed to all kinds of bad stuff.. Often they are very difficult to remove when in need. That's the last thing you want on a dark road needing to change a flat tire.
I'd find it in me to get that thing taken care of so I could get home, and be thankful for its presence.

OPs spare is useless now, so he might as well not even have it with him. The easiest fix is to fix the valve stem, then he has something that will hold air and roll.

Yeah the rim is rusty, but how rusty? We don't know. There are plenty of surface rusted rims out there. Consider it a "limited use" spare to get to the next tire shop.

Agree with the idea of moving the used tire over to this rim (or another) next time tires are purchased. Until then, if it were me, I'd gamble with what's there.

• Love
Reactions: D60
Get a used OEM wheel from ebay/kijiji/junkyard (if you choose to replace it), then get the cheapest new tire in your size from Canadian Tire, 1010, blackcircles, Walmart, or whoever has the best price on tires by you

For Americans (and those Canadians close to border towns), this is a great website for used:

lkqonline.com

I see some with 40k miles if I got OP's model right
https://lkqonline.com/2008-chevrole...spare-wheel-carrier/-hNKnnjncKKO/-i~353467513

First, I lower and check the inflation pressure on the frame-mounted spare tire on my tundra at every oil change. The pressure is usually good, but I would like to know that at the oil change, rather than take that chance should I need it by the side of the road. Further, operating that little chain hoist periodically keeps it from seizing up.

Next, yes, I did replace the rear mounted spare tire on my Toyota 4Runner solely due to age.

The tire was over 10 years old, and the rear mount exposes it to UV light. When I was the deputy commander of a large squadron, my little truck was always parked in front of the headquarters building, and one day a sailor walked by, and remarked that the tire was out of date. I had no idea they took notice of such details, but this young man did.

So, this became more than just a truck or tire issue, it became a leadership issue. Do I set the example for safety? Do I show that I listen to my sailors?

Yes. To both. I had a new BFG T/A size 31x10.5R15 mounted that afternoon. Brand new. Worth more than the rest of the truck at the time…

I had an '89 Wagoneer Limited and in '97 I had to use the 8 yrs old "new" factory spare. The spare developed a sidewall bubble within 10 miles.

Last edited:
Definitely need a new setup; and it's a complete waste of a good tire, leaving it under your vehicle.

Maybe get a matching wheel as mentioned above, and rotate 5 tires. Same cost in the long run (but a bigger cost when tire buying time comes around of course)

I use this site: https://www.hubcaphaven.com/

I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer not to have a reduced capability if I get a flat.

Am kicking myself for not buying 5 tires for our CRV, as the spare is 20 years old and rock hard. I told the shop to rotate the "best" used tire to be the spare. Nope, they didn't. :( On this AWD that happens to have a full size spare, I should have planned to do 5 tire rotations, worn all 5 evenly, and planned to buy 5 at a time in the future.

Currently the others have mini spares and I should check those more often, but I really don't want to use either. Shame they aren't full sized and I could then "force" myself into 5 tire rotations, and then they are part of the routine.

OP, I wonder, did you try lowering the spare? I want to say, these trucks are known for rust back there. Sounds like it's time to just replace the whole thing.

I replaced the one on my 2008 xterra. It actually looked fine except two indentations on the sidewall where it had rested against the frame for 12 years that looked too pronounced for my liking. If the vehicle stayed closer to home I would have left it.

I replaced the one on my 2008 xterra. It actually looked fine except two indentations on the sidewall where it had rested against the frame for 12 years that looked too pronounced for my liking. If the vehicle stayed closer to home I would have left it.
IMO this is perhaps an even bigger problem than age (although they kind of go hand-in-hand). I've always wondered what those indentations do to the sidewall, and of course there's no fixed answer because every vehicle design is different and the preload on the winch spring makes a difference, too

Am kicking myself for not buying 5 tires for our CRV, as the spare is 20 years old and rock hard. I told the shop to rotate the "best" used tire to be the spare. Nope, they didn't. :( On this AWD that happens to have a full size spare, I should have planned to do 5 tire rotations, worn all 5 evenly, and planned to buy 5 at a time in the future.

Currently the others have mini spares and I should check those more often, but I really don't want to use either. Shame they aren't full sized and I could then "force" myself into 5 tire rotations, and then they are part of the routine.

OP, I wonder, did you try lowering the spare? I want to say, these trucks are known for rust back there. Sounds like it's time to just replace the whole thing.
I'd find it in me to get that thing taken care of so I could get home, and be thankful for its presence.

OPs spare is useless now, so he might as well not even have it with him. The easiest fix is to fix the valve stem, then he has something that will hold air and roll.

Yeah the rim is rusty, but how rusty? We don't know. There are plenty of surface rusted rims out there. Consider it a "limited use" spare to get to the next tire shop.

Agree with the idea of moving the used tire over to this rim (or another) next time tires are purchased. Until then, if it were me, I'd gamble with what's there.

Here is a pic of the Culprit. You can make out a bit of blue left over from when I sprayed the rim with blue Rustoleum paint years ago.

52D2DA24-4C0A-4950-8F19-0266F628B3BF.jpeg
F683EECB-4478-47BD-A2EC-213CAF0DE03C.jpeg

Back