People who stop their cars WAY too far back

Status
Not open for further replies.
The past few years I have seen an increase of people who stop their cars FAR from stoplights, or from the car ahead of them.

They'll stop at least one car length from the stop bar at the intersection, or leave several car lengths between the next car at the light.

The demographics seem pretty even: young/old, male/female, etc.

I can understand stopping a few feet short but 20-30 feet? What does this mean?

Here's a picture of a STOP BAR. It's where you STOP YOUR CAR at lights.

PICTURE OF A STOP BAR

Do they still teach this?

When this happens in front of me, it's one of three things:

Either they've been rear ended and pushed into the intersection or someone in front of them or

(this is more frequent) they are texting or

Idiot

Sorry, 4th: texting idiot.

They wont pull up (enough) at a drive thru, I cant get to the order speaker... then at that point im inches from their rear bumper.

What I have started to see here are people stopping 2-3 car lengths back from a stop sign and seem to think that fulfills stopping for the sign. It is especially bad at a couple intersections where you cannot easily see to the left and right.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Either they've been rear ended and pushed into the intersection or someone in front of them

That's me. I've also had someone in front of me decide to start backing up. That one's happened more than once. I put at least a full car length between me and anyone in front of me. If you're behind me and don't like it, tough titty.

I usually stop about 3-5 feet from stop line and 5-10 feet from car ahead at stop light. For 2 or 3 or 4-way stop sign I stop right on or close to stop line.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Either they've been rear ended and pushed into the intersection or someone in front of them

That's me. I've also had someone in front of me decide to start backing up. That one's happened more than once. I put at least a full car length between me and anyone in front of me. If you're behind me and don't like it, tough titty.

It's a little nutty. Never really had that happen. When it does, you can see their reverse lights on. When that happens, you just lean on the horn. That's what it's there for. It's a little extreme to do things just in case someone decides to go into reverse. You mind as well drive down the street at 10 mph just in case someone decides to open their door without looking. It's not normal. Just drive normally.

Just consider this, the left turn lane is fairly short if everyone parks too far back then not many cars will be able to fit into left turn lane. If you're the one who could not get into left turn lane then you have to wait for next green.

I see it happen all the time. Never seems to be related to texting. Sometimes someone on the cell phone. But in the end who cares, I move on and forget about it 5 sec later.

Around here during the evenings the traffic lights are all operated on sensing a vehicle. When cars don't pull all the way ahead, I can get stuck behind them for a long while hoping they finally get impatient and inch forward (or I can honk, but they don't understand why I'm doing it).

I sadly find myself stopping a little further back sometimes (not that crazy like), but some of the crashes that I have seen lately have me a bit more careful....

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Just consider this, the left turn lane is fairly short if everyone parks too far back then not many cars will be able to fit into left turn lane. If you're the one who could not get into left turn lane then you have to wait for next green.

Yes! Thats the part that bugs me. I'm trying to get over to turn, and of course there is only one car in that long turn lane, but I can't make it. The car in front of me can see, and has moved up, but its the five feet between every other car in line that is the problem. When I let things like this bug me I'm thinking look at these people, all stuck in their own little world and not giving a darn about anyone but themselves. But then I think.. well I'm kind of doing the same thing, just thinking about myself and wanting to get where I gotta go. This is why I run red left turn arrows if safe. Those things irritate me more than anything, unless there is an obvious reason for them.

In my neighborhood, people who do that are making sure that BOTH of the traffic sensors have cars sitting on them when there are only two cars in the left turn lane. That way, they get an advanced green. I was appalled when my kids learned it in driving school, then I saw how it really worked and was very pleased with the outcome, let's just say.

These idiots in slower traffic get on my nerves. Stop where you're supposed to so a couple more people make it through the next light change.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Yes! Thats the part that bugs me. I'm trying to get over to turn, and of course there is only one car in that long turn lane, but I can't make it. The car in front of me can see, and has moved up, but its the five feet between every other car in line that is the problem. When I let things like this bug me I'm thinking look at these people, all stuck in their own little world and not giving a darn about anyone but themselves. But then I think.. well I'm kind of doing the same thing, just thinking about myself and wanting to get where I gotta go. This is why I run red left turn arrows if safe. Those things irritate me more than anything, unless there is an obvious reason for them.

Not me !

I tried to make left turn on green arrow as fast as possible so more people behind can pass though the same green.

When I stop on right lane for red light I will try two things: stop about 5-6 feet behind the stop line so that the right turn driver can see the traffic on the left side more clearly, stop as far to the left line as possible to give more room for turning right drivers.

I coast down and use turn signal about 100-200 feet before going to turn at intersection, to let drivers behind me know so they can change lane if they want to or prepare to slow down.

To me nobody owns the road, we are sharing the road so use it such that everyone enjoys driving whenever we are in the car.

My basic principle is, if I like someone to do certain thing the way I think is right, I should do it first before asking someone to do the same way.

I stop so far back that I can still see the (green) light for my direction comfortably. I sit rather high so if I pull up too close the light dissappears behind the roofline. Not a problem if I'm second in line though.

I leave about 8-10 feet between my car and the one in front. Automatics are rare here, and hill-holder systems aswell. The car in front could roll back and hit mine (had it happen twice!). I don't need that aggravation, and without witnesses they have to admit to rollig back or I pay for their damage.

The next time you see this, stop your car at the same line they're at and stare at them, I guaranty you they'll pull forward.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back