People so unreasonable sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
Originally Posted by Gebo
If I were ToadU, I'd go see the lady, apologize and ask for her forgiveness. At this point in time, that is the right thing to do.

Y'all make some great points. Mistakes happen that we sometimes can't control. Deception is always under our control and it is not ever a mistake. It is deliberate.

And yes, I plead guilty.

So you skipped the part where they lady tried to extort OP for $5,000 too.

No one said she was right for that. She might have reacted totally different if she had gotten the truth up front we don't know.

No she wasn't right, but OP wasn't either. Selling it or not it still is her car she should be able to decide how she wanted to handle situation.

So I will ask. Do you like being lied to? Would you take your Daytona here?

The woman showed she was the one with no ethics when she resorted to extortion. She sold the car for asking price. She should be happy. The woman is trash, period.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
If I were ToadU, I'd go see the lady, apologize and ask for her forgiveness. At this point in time, that is the right thing to do.

Y'all make some great points. Mistakes happen that we sometimes can't control. Deception is always under our control and it is not ever a mistake. It is deliberate.

And yes, I plead guilty.

No one said she was right for that. She might have reacted totally different if she had gotten the truth up front we don't know.

No she wasn't right, but OP wasn't either. Selling it or not it still is her car she should be able to decide how she wanted to handle situation.

So I will ask. Do you like being lied to? Would you take your Daytona here?

She wasn't lied to. She was offered full asking price on her car, which she happily took. Do you think that when a car dealer takes a vehicle in on trade, they should immediately disclose what they intend to re-sell it for? No, because some things don't need to be disclosed.

If you think that perhaps being a bit opaque about a deal favorable to the customer deserves to be met with flat-out extortion, you need your head examined.

And yes, I plead guilty.

Absolutely not.

The "wrongs" started in his shop. ToadU needs to make his end right. Regardless of what was said or done to him. Being a man ain't always easy. Being the bigger man is always difficult.

And yes, I plead guilty.

Absolutely not.

The "wrongs" started in his shop. ToadU needs to make his end right. Regardless of what was said or done to him. Being a man ain't always easy. Being the bigger man is always difficult.

LOL, he did make it right: He gave her about $1000 over what she would have gotten in the marketplace. Stop trolling.

No one said he didn't make it right, no one said she was right.

He was shady plain and simple, she was unreasonable.

When you trade in a car you get a choice to except the terms of the agreement, if you don't like them you walk away and find another deal.
These two situations are not the same.

You may need to see the head doctor too.

So I will ask again IronMaidenRules do you like being lied to and hear about from someone else?

Originally Posted by montea6b
Originally Posted by dlundblad

Sadly, she's going to make your shop famous.

As long as you stick to the moral high ground... you are a stand up guy... Just don't let her drag you down to her level...

Yeppers, this pretty much sums it up.
happy2.gif

And yes, I plead guilty.

Absolutely not.

LOL, he did make it right: He gave her about $1000 over what she would have gotten in the marketplace. Stop trolling.

I ain't just trolling. I caught you. XOXOX

Originally Posted by ls1mike
No one said he didn't make it right, no one said she was right.

He was shady plain and simple, she was unreasonable.

When you trade in a car you get a choice to except the terms of the agreement, if you don't like them you walk away and find another deal.
These two situations are not the same.

You may need to see the head doctor too.

So I will ask again IronMaidenRules do you like being lied to and hear about from someone else?

Once again, she wasn't lied to. Please learn to read. And I prefer not to converse with people who sympathize with criminals.

And yes, I plead guilty.

My mom always used to say, "Two wrongs don't make a right." Nobody said the lady was right to extort money. I think everyone here agrees that's wrong. But she did that AFTER the OP already did something that's (debatably) wrong. And people say things they don't mean or intend on following through with, especially when they're mad. Who knows if this lady ever intended on doing anything.

Legally, she can whine and threaten all she wants and she'll get nothing out of it. Bad PR might cause a headache for OP and he may want to apologize to fix that. But given what he's posted so far, I don't think he's concerned about that. He can also apologize if he wants to do the right thing and have a clear conscience, but again, given his previous posts, I don't think he's concerned about that either.

Was the lady wrong to extort money? Absolutely. Was she wrong to get mad about what happened? Absolutely NOT. Just because it wouldn't have bothered YOU doesn't mean everyone else needs to be OK with it. If it had happened to me, I don't think it wouldn't have bothered me much. But I can still empathize and understand how someone else would be upset.

Deceptive....

ToadU didn't explain what happened to the vehicle before he offered to buy it at a less than book price. See this is why auto repair shops and the industry have such a bad name.
Also seems like you need another supervisor or assistant manager to keep employees focused on their jobs, and keep the cute girl out of the shop.

I will agree with him that it is nearly impossible to hire diligent, and competent help that actually wants to do the work...then again if you need to pay more for truly good help, you need to step up. I've been to many employers at interviews and I just know that most of the other candidates are not nearly are good as I am yet these business simply
DO. NOT. WANT. TO. PAY. MORE. MONEY. FOR. HIGH. QUALITY. EMPLOYEES.....and when they put their ridiculous pittance of an offer in front of me I politely tell them
this isn't even close to getting me on board show me more or I can't help you. More often than not they tell me that's their best offer, and I tell them goodbye, and good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by atikovi
You keep $2500 cash all the time? What's your address?
lol.gif

He's a business owner running a big shop. I bet the money was locked in the safe.
wink.gif

I know that, but why have that much cash around? To make change? Few customers pay with cash these days from what I read, except in low income areas.

Why not ask him. Maybe he does banking once a week, and he did the deal before going to the bank. $2,500 is not much money these days. Or maybe he cut a check. Either way he did the right thing imo.

Just want to let folks know that this thread is open for discussion once again. As always please keep OT and please be civil, no swearing, ect.. Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
happy2.gif

OP, if the purchase transaction was completed and she has your money in her hands, she has no grounds to do anything. She should be happy she got that much for the car. Also she should be very happy that you fired the kid who blew up her car... uhmm, I mean your car
smile.gif

A sticky wicket all right. Don't have time to wade through all 10 (so far) pages, so apologies if someone else already said something like this...

Sounds like it was handled pretty well but it might have preserved the shop's reputation better to have owned up to the error and offering the choice of buying the car for her asking price or installing a good used engine.

Chances are she would not make out as well in court even if she won - typically the damages would be limited to book value of the car which might well be less than her asking price.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Don't see where the customer was lied to. She came in, he offered to buy her car, she accepted. Omitting a piece of information is not a lie and every last one of us has done it.

This. She got more for her car at less of a hassle than trying to sell it on the street/FB marketplace/CL/etc.

The shop owner did the right thing. If I was in Florida I'd be applying to his shop because I'm bored at the parts store LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back