Penzzoil Ultra 5W-30 being recalled????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
We'll all be guessing until Tuesday when some loyal BITOG PU user calls Pennzoil, and probably finds nothing out.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Who knows the reason at this point. I feel it is over-priced anyway.

I agree. I won't buy any oil that doesn't have a rebate that makes it free.

I haven't seen any PU on the shelves of my local Wal-Mart....uh, wait - they don't sell it here yet!!!

Dummies.

LOL!

Originally Posted By: Loobed

Another employee came up and asked them if they were buying all that oil, and the others said "no, it is being recalled." The other employee asked if the 5W-20 was being recalled, and they told him only the 5W-30.

Probably just a poor use of the word "recalled". I am sure there is nothing wrong with PU, other than the too-high price. Recalled usually means "defective", but PU was likely just being replaced by something else that would sell. Shelf space at WM is scrutinized heavily.

I was at Walmart yesterday picking up some AFE 0W30...their shelf is always stocked full of PU. May not be that popular.

I would think that Walmart would negotiate some sort of gift card rebate deal with SOPUS before pulling the oil.
Since the margin is probably pretty good for both (it can't cost that much more to produce than PP), a little shared sacrifice would be resonable.
Less costly for both parties, and would maybe generate some felt demand (ie people paying retail) for the oil.

Just speculating here, but maybe one of the claims did not meet as advertised, maybe it's something with the new GF or SM.. heck I don't even keep up with much of this as anything out now supersedes my 02 accord star-bursting, ILSAC-ing specifications. I'm still waiting for the 5 quart PU 5w-20 jugs at my local walmart as I want to try the PU, I just DEMAND the 5 quart jugs. The 5 quart jugs are cheaper, they provide me with storage for my used oil that is so much easier than dumping back into those little quart bottles,

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Why buy Ultra, when now their conventional removes just as much sludge?

Not exactly correct. The Ultra states that it removes 35% more than its next best motor oil, which would be the Platinum.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
started pulling all the Ultra jugs off the shelf... it is being recalled.

Rumor has it their Seq IVa test results came in 4X higher!
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif
lol.gif
crazy2.gif
banana2.gif

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: jimsgmc
If wal-mart didn't have the best prices on oil I wouldn't go in there at all.

Mobil 1 was the ONLY reason I ever went to Walmart.

Since I switched to Petro Canada, I have no reason to go there PERIOD now. I feel somewhat liberated.

I was at the local China Mart this morning and the shelves were stocked with PU. I asked the manager of the department and he said it was selling well at the store here. They have just received their second shipment of it.

I have converted several people in the area to it and all of them so far like how it is working for them. I have converted them to 7500 mile OCIs with it and they believe it is a value. They had been going 3k OCI and this is a new frontier, but I point out their owners manual indicating 7500 and they are good with it.

So far, I am a big fan of PU.

I bet it was pulled from the store due to lack of sales.

I got a walmart contact, I'll check with him tomorrow and see what's up :)

They be calling it a "recall" just to hide another problem.

Pricing issue - dropped a digit or 2 from the price automagically and it wasn't ringing up right :)

Lack of sales, so they (your store, or district) decided to take it off the shelf and put something else there - but then I'd have to say, why not get rid of the Royal Purple? :) It's [censored] good oil but I swear, I never see a bottle gone from their oil aisle!

Relocating the oil to another area (a feature, endcap, etc....).

You should have run through the store wringing your hands and screaming
THE 5W-30 IS BROKEN! THE 5W-30 IS BROKEN!

That'd get a rise out of them.

i bought some 5-30 ultra, engine hasnt blown yet...pennzoil seems to know what they are doing as far as motor oil so i had to buy it once...now BP on other hand, i hope they are never allowed to drill again with all their major safety violations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back