Penzoil Platinum HM or Valvoline Max-Life HM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Colorado, 3.5L, 102 kmiles, manual states 5w30 meeting 6094M, OLM is ignored as I do 6-7k OCI.
2013 Mazda3 2.0L Skyactive, 53k miles, manual states 0W20 for CAFE countries or 5w30 for non CAFE[Mexico], Ilsac GF-5 only spec. Due to DI and fuel dilution, OCI is
So, I want to standardize on one brand and weight of oil. These two are at the top of the list.

Any preference of the two? The Synth-Blend Max-Life would be cheaper and given the short OCI's, it is slightly ahead of the PPHM.

TIA.

Valvoline MaxLife is good stuff.

In all the time I've spent on the web, can't recall anyone ever saying they've had a problem with it.

Perfect fit for the Colorado. Personally, I'd run a full synthetic in the Mazda. With only 53,000 miles, a quality synthetic will surely extend the mills life.

Maxlife because they actually publish the full breath of their specs instead of trying to hide unflattering numbers.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Valvoline MaxLife is good stuff.

In all the time I've spent on the web, can't recall anyone ever saying they've had a problem with it.

Perfect fit for the Colorado. Personally, I'd run a full synthetic in the Mazda. With only 53,000 miles, a quality synthetic will surely extend the mills life.

Given the short OCI due to driving short trips and fuel dilution, I am leaning toward the semi-synthetic.

Either is excellent. At 6k miles I'd definitely save some money and use the semi-syn Maxlife.

I like the semi-syn's better anyway. There is no proof in any professional paper I've ever been able to find that says that syn is better at actual lubrication than quality dino... With high quality dinos and syns, you get a good combo of cling, residual oil film strength, stabilty.

I buy Maxlife for some applications - red bottle semi all the way
laugh.gif

With short OCIs, Maxlife is all you need. I'll be posting a UOA on Maxlife Blend in a few weeks. It came from my buddies 2008 Impala and had a 7200 mile run.

Never tried Pennzoil HM, but my engine never ran smoother than when I was running MaxLife HM in it. When I use up my current stash of Kendall synthetic, I'll probably just start picking up MaxLife FS whenever there's a sale or rebate going on.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
MaxLife full syn

Too expensive given the short OCI....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back