MAX LIFE SYN VS MOBIL 1 HM / MaxLife 40% less wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline makes a great product, back in my "dino" days it was my oil of choice.

That said, ever notice that everybody compares their synthetic to Mobil 1? Everyone says their synthetic is better at this or that versus Mobil 1.

These companies all take shots at Mobil 1 because it is the established standard. Valvoline, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, Castrol, Amsoil...all great products but I don't buy they hype that they are all better than Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Valvoline makes a great product, back in my "dino" days it was my oil of choice.

That said, ever notice that everybody compares their synthetic to Mobil 1? Everyone says their synthetic is better at this or that versus Mobil 1.

These companies all take shots at Mobil 1 because it is the established standard. Valvoline, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, Castrol, Amsoil...all great products but I don't buy they hype that they are all better than Mobil 1.

It's the concept of "punching up". M1 is by far the #1 synthetic motor oil sold in the US, so they're the top dog. Because of that, everyone takes shots at the #1 guy. I wrote about it in my response to the original thread about the Valvoline claims.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3610660/Valvoline_vs_Mobil_1

Originally Posted By: sicko
Okay, first of all everyone needs to calm down.

Secondly, they are not replacing Valvoline SynPower with MaxLife. They are changing the MaxLife bottles to look more like the SynPower bottles, but the two are, and will continue to be, separate products. MaxLife has always been available in a semi-synthetic and a full synthetic, you're looking at the bottles for the new full synthetic (again, it's NOT a replacement for SynPower which will continue to be available). At stores they have a label on the shelf with the new MaxLife that say something like "New label, same great product."

Thirdly, the topic of the 40% claim has already been address, and when you really break it down, they're not saying anything earth shattering. They're barely even insulting M1. Look at that chart with all the Valvoline items checked off, and half the M1 items are X's. Look at all the X's, and they can be summed up by the fact that M1 HM is not resource conserving, and is SL oil whereas Valvoline is SN.

Seriously look at everyone one of the claims they have against M1.
- Reduces Fuel Consumption: M1 HM is not resource conserving.
- Compatible with emission systems, M1 HM is SL rated, Valvoline is SN, SL oil has higher ZDDP.
- Compatible with all model years: M1 HM being SL rated isn't compatible with vehicles that say to use SM rated oil or newer.
- Meets the latest Ford, Crystler, Japanese, and Korean specs: They all require SN oil.
(Side note, saying SL oil isn't "compatible" with emission systems is a bit of a stretch, it's just higher ZDDP levels are more likely to foul up a catalytic converter).

Look at all the items listed and think about how those two things (resource conserving, and SL vs SN rated) applies there. Valvoline technically isn't making anything up against M1 HM, it's just that those who know about motor oil know that they are minor things that Valvoline is drawing attention to. That's marketing, they're trying to show themselves as different/better.

Seriously, people need to step back, take a deep breath and relax. It's just marketing. Both products are very good products, and anyone on this forum would use either one without hesitation.

Yes, good post. If i quit buying a product because of lousy, low-life advertising i wouldnt have much at all.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I saw this exact oil in 5W-30 at Walmart today with a red tag for $5/qt.

I saw that in mine as well. That and Royal Purple. I bought the heck out of the Royal Purple. How much are the 5 quart jugs of Synpower normally?

The 5qt jugs are normally $26.XX but they're on rollback now for $22.XX

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut

For a 5qt jug? I would have cleaned them out.

Not the jug, the quart is $5

Originally Posted By: jk_636

I saw that in mine as well. That and Royal Purple. I bought the heck out of the Royal Purple. How much are the 5 quart jugs of Synpower normally?

The 5qt jugs are normally $26.XX but they're on rollback now for $22.XX

Thats not too bad. For four dollars more you can buy 5 qts of Mobil 1. If the advertising is legit and it actually is better than mobil 1 that is a heck of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back