Penzoil plat euro 5w30 for Toyota USA

Hello everyone. I have a quick question about my next oil change for my 2uzfe equipped Toyota (4.7) v8. It is obviously a gasoline engine that operates in the USA with American fuel. May I use penzoil euro 5w30 in my tundra? I know it meets SN oil specs which is more than plenty for my 20+ year old engine, but is it compatible with USA gasoline standards? I’m sure there are better oils out there for my application, I currently use Quaker state 5w30 religiously, great oil for a great price, I live in north Illinois. I know the euro oil is fine for my tundra and I want to use it for its thicker tendencies as I run my truck hard in the summer, it’s a c3 rated oil which means it has a 3.5 or higher hst. Am I good to go? I don’t want to step up to a 40 weight or a light 40 weight like Quaker state 5w40 euro because I want the peace of mind of 5w30 going into a 5w30 specd engine. Sorry I’m not very educated on this topic so bear with me. I’m very interested in euro oils in general for their thicker tendencies and stout additives for euro oil standards. I also hear some euro oils are apparently not good for longer oil change intervals, not an issue with me as I run 4k oci with mainly city miles

A twenty year old Toyota, running a 5W30 that is API SN and ACEA (Euro) C3 sounds great to me. The Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 is a GTL based full synthetic, that also carries MB 229.51 which is a very tough standard to meet. That means HTHS at or above 3.5 cP, and Noack volatility at or below 10%. Very respectable.

The mid-SAPS Euro sequence C3 has an ash limit of 0.8% (SA), and a Phos limit of 700 to 900 ppm. Very similar to the typical modern day API / ILSAC oils, so it's safe for use with modern fuels over regular distances. Your doing an OCI of 4k miles, this is not a problem. I'm running a Euro 5W30 C3 oil right now, probably with the same or possibly lower quality fuel, and I plan to go 6k miles.

Where did you hear this? Many if not most European approvals have a long-drain requirement.
See that’s the impression I was under aswell, but I’ve seen a few comments on here that say they wouldn’t run some specific types of euro oil for long drains cause of low ash or saps whatever it’s called. Don’t quote me on that but I’m sure someone could chime in

See that’s the impression I was under aswell, but I’ve seen a few comments on here that say they wouldn’t run some specific types of euro oil for long drains cause of low ash or saps whatever it’s called. Don’t quote me on that but I’m sure someone could chime in
To be honest there is some truth to what you say. Its all got to do with fuel quality and in particular sulphur levels in the fuel, which can form acids in the oil, and need a higher TBN (total base number) to counteract the acid buildup. As TBN went up, so too does the sulphated ash (SA%, SAPS) level.

In the old days of bad fuel with high sulphur levels, a long life Euro (ACEA) oil was a high SAPS oil (e.g A3/B4) with a TBN above 10, and a SAPS level above 1.0% SA.

Europe was the first to move to ultra low sulphur fuel. This meant TBN and SAPS levels could be reduced, this was good for the exhaust system, while keeping the OCI similar. ACEA C3 is a mid-SAPS Euro oil with the same HTHS & Noack & wear requirements of A3/B4, but built on a reduced TBN & SAPS additive package.

These C3 oils were fine in Europe with their low sulphur fuel. But move to Australia with higher sulphur content, and you had to either stop using C3 and start using A3/B4, or keep using C3 but significantly reduce your oil change interval (OCI).

Over the years more and more countries have reduced sulphur levels in fuel, and now they too can go longer OCI on C3. I believe that this recently includes most of North America (NA). Australia is down from the bad old days of Super Petrol (high octane leaded gas) containing 800 ppm sulphur. But we are not yet at the low European or NA levels.

Last edited:
What's the typical OCI recommendations for DI engines in Europe?

C3 Used to also be recommended for DI engines to help IVD. Does that still hold true? I haven't kept up with the recent theories.

Last edited:
A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade engine oil intended for use in passenger car and light-duty gasoline &
diesel engines and/or for extended oil drain intervals where specified by the engine
manufacturer.

A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade engine oil intended for use at extended oil drain intervals in passenger car
and light-duty gasoline & DI diesel engines designed for low viscosity engine oils with HTHS
viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa·s. These engine oils are unsuitable for use in certain engines -
consult vehicle-OEM’s owner’s manual/handbook in case of doubt.

A7/B7 Stable, stay-in-grade engine oil intended for use at extended oil drain intervals in passenger car
and light-duty gasoline & DI diesel engines designed for low viscosity engine oils with HTHS
viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa·s. Relative to A5/B5 these engine oils provide also low speed pre-
ignition- and wear protection for turbocharged gasoline DI engines as well as turbocharger
compressor deposit (TCCD) protection for modern DI diesel engines. These engine oils are
unsuitable for use in certain engines - consult vehicle-OEM’s owner’s manual/handbook in case
of doubt.

C2Stable, stay-in-grade engine oil with mid-SAPS Level, for aftertreatment system compatibility.
Intended for use at extended oil drain intervals in passenger car and light-duty gasoline & DI
diesel engines designed for low viscosity engine oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.9
mPa⋅s.

C3Stable, stay-in-grade engine oil with mid-SAPS Level, for aftertreatment system compatibility.
Intended for use at extended oil drain intervals in passenger car and light-duty gasoline & DI
diesel engines designed for engine oils with HTHS viscosity of minimum 3.5 mPa⋅s.

C4Stable, stay-in-grade engine oil with low-SAPS Level, for aftertreatment system compatibility.
diesel engines designed for engine oils with HTHS viscosity of minimum 3.5 mPa⋅s.

C5Stable, stay-in-grade engine oil for improved fuel economy, with mid-SAPS Level, for
aftertreatment system compatibility. Intended for use at extended oil drain intervals in passenger
car and light-duty gasoline & DI diesel engines designed and OEM-approved for engine oils with
HTHS viscosity of minimum 2.6 mPa⋅s.

C6Stable, stay-in-grade engine oil for improved fuel economy, with mid-SAPS Level, for
aftertreatment system compatibility. Intended for use at extended oil drain intervals in passenger
car and light-duty gasoline & DI diesel engines designed and OEM-approved for engine oils with
HTHS viscosity of minimum 2.6 mPa⋅s. Relative to C5 these engine oils provide also low speedpre-ignition- and wear protection for turbocharged gasoline DI engines as well as turbocharger
compressor deposit (TCCD) protection for modern DI diesel engines.

C7
Stable, stay-in-grade engine oil for improved fuel economy, with mid-SAPS Level, for
HTHS viscosity of minimum 2.3 mPa·s. C7 is based on C6 performance levels, with the exception
of enhanced fuel economy.

Those 4.7s are very easy going motors for oil. I ran mostly PUP 5w30 in mine, but also ran regular Mobil1 and Maxlife 5w30. It towed a Jeep all over, did trail duty, winter and summer with a small lift and bigger tires. Had the DT headers, DT mid pipe and a full exhaust that I let sing everywhere. Even running 6k OCIs, the oil always looked like I could've put it right back in. Never had to worry about the oil, just the fuel tank that was empty every other gas station. That said, a Euro spec oil will absolutely spoil the 4.7 and id not be afraid to run an extended OCI.

Also, if you haven't seen it already:

why not continue with the Quaker State 5w-30 ,the Ultimate is a fine oil,keeping properly changed (5k) it will treat your engine well.

The Pennzoil is a cut above Quaker State. Even the fine folks at SOPUS offices will tell you that.

Some (including myself) want a top-shelf oil for wear protection, cleanliness and engine clatter resistance insurance purposes. Its not about the money.

Most Toyota engines will get 250-300k on Supertech. I'm jealous and full of envy. How can a country like Korea (so close to Japan) sell junk engines, when Japan sell arguably the best.

I know - I know! One caters to the tight family budget crowd. Well, I'm not on a tight budget..... that's for sure. My wife's side of the family is loaded. 🤤

Last edited:
Back