Penzoil high mileage oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put some of this stuff in yesterday when I changed the oil. I noticed the color is noticeably darker than Castrol GTX high mileage as well as Coastal high mileage oil. What does this mean? Does this indicate the type of base stocks used? If so, which one uses the better stocks?

Jason

The only thing it means for *sure* is that it's darker in color than the others. It may be additives, might even be a dye.
dunno.gif
Without a signed, notarized letter on formulation from each of the oil co's, it's strictly guesswork.

Interesting it's so dark. My memory of Pennzoil dino was that it was a very light oil-- hard to see on the dip stick. Speaking of Pennzoil, where's Johnny? Haven't seen any of his most valuable posts lately. Folks with industry insight provide great marketing for oil companies. Johnny convinced many here of Pennzoil's high quality.

I don't doubt Penzoil's dino oil quality necessarily, but it being a darker color just seems a little fishy to me like it may not have as good of base stocks or additive package as GTX HM or even Coastal. The only reason I tried Penzoil is that it supposedly has better cold start flow than GTX, but I have heard from various people that it seems to sludge a little easier than other oils. Is this true?

Jason

No, the Pennzoil products do not sludge easier than other products. The High Mileage oil is made from a higher VI base than the regular Pennzoil and it is made from Group II+ base stock. The color has to do with the additive package and the moly. It is a good high mileage engine oil and so is the Castrol. Since I am not a site sponsor like others that sell oil on this site, I will not pitch my product. The brand you choose to use it totally up to you.

Good Luck

Red Line is darker than many other oils so I'd first suspect the ester component in the High Mileage Pennzoil formula.

Gonna use this same stuff in 10W30 in my Civic later on in the week.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

I have a question for Johnny, who I guess works for Pennzoil-Quaker State. I used to use Pennzoil and FRAM filters all the time. I am not going to use FRAM filters again unless there is a major improvement in filter quality. But what I want to tell Johnny is, I have encountered an incredible amount of negative opinion about Pennzoil (and Quaker State since they have merged with Pennzoil). When I owned a Toyota Tercel and I attended a maintenance seminar at the Toyota dealership, the dealership was in the process of switching from recommending Pennzoil oil to Valvoline. People in the maintenance department of another new car dealership told me not to use Pennzoil. Mechanics have told me that Pennzoil and Quaker State cause sludge. Men who have raced cars told me they do not like Pennzoil. Now, I don't know if any of this is true or not, but I have encountered negativity about Pennzoil, so much so that I switched to other brands. Rightly or wrongly, there seems to be a belief that Pennzoil and Quaker State have problems. I don't know if Pennzoil-Quaker State are aware of this image problem, but I think that Pennzoil-Quaker State should have some sort of ad compaign or demonstration of some sort to show that Pennzoil-Quaker State are as good as any other motor oil product.

Don't mean to change the subject...

I recently looked at Pennzoil high mileage (10w30 and 10w40) and Pennzoil Long Life 15w40.

The pour point for Long Life 15w40 was slightly lower while the High mileage 10w40 is slightly thinner at low temps.

I chose to buy the Long Life because of the higher dose of moly, zinc, and calcium.

BTW, if your worried about sludge do a UOA that provides oxidation and nitration numbers.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
No, the Pennzoil products do not sludge easier than other products. The High Mileage oil is made from a higher VI base than the regular Pennzoil and it is made from Group II+ base stock. The color has to do with the additive package and the moly. It is a good high mileage engine oil and so is the Castrol. Since I am not a site sponsor like others that sell oil on this site, I will not pitch my product. The brand you choose to use it totally up to you.

Good Luck

Johnny,

Glad your back!
wink.gif
I know this was in a thread eons ago, but do you know if using Pennzoil high mileage oil is recommended in a newer car (
Cheers,

JJ

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:

Good Luck

Johnny,

Glad your back!
wink.gif
I know this was in a thread eons ago, but do you know if using Pennzoil high mileage oil is recommended in a newer car (
Cheers,

JJ

You can safely run the high mileage oils in newer cars. The main difference between them and other oils is that they are formulated thicker (their 10w30s are on the high side of 30 for instance) and they contain a bit of esters into the mix.

I bought two cases of the Pennzoil 10/40 HM to run in my wife's Vanden Plas this Summer.

Not really sure what to expect of it; I usually have Syntec 20/50 blend in her car in the Summer but, after the trouncing Syntec gets here, I decided to run something else ...

Win Dooley

I asked a while back too about the Pennzoil sludge/varnish myth. Many people have indicated it's a result of pennzoil using parrafin base oil or seomething. Well, all the folks here that know what they're talking about indicated that most, if not all crude oil comes from prafin wax etc. They also indicated that the pennzoil sludge thing is pretty much total BS. If you look at Pennzoils physical properties, it's the best OTC dino theoretically; some will disagree. It has awesome cold weather specs and it' uses more refined base stock than other dinos. Anyone else want to add in about the pennzoil sludge myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back