Pentrite 10 Tenths Racing - PAO & Ester Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a question regarding Penrite's 10 Tenths Racing line of oils. It's an Australian company so you might not be familiar with them but they claim to have a very stout high performance gasoline engine/racing style oil line.

Their additive pack is very strong with antiwear additives, and good levels of detergent. The 10w40 which I am considering has the following specs:

Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt at 40°C = 91
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt at 100°C = 14.4
Viscosity Index = 164
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP at -25°C = 6487
Ca content, Mass % = 0.296
Zinc, Mass % = 0.168 (1680ppm)
Boron, Mass % = 0.063 (630ppm)
Base Number = 9.8
HTHS = 4.49

There is Molybnedym as well, cannot recall how much. Interestingly they state that their "Full Zinc +" marketing means "Zinc level + Boron level combined as a total anti-wear package". I thought Boron was a detergent, not antiwear? Perhaps a different form? OBviously there is a ****tonne of zinc, this will probably kill catalysts quite rapidly despite their tech support telling me otherwise (probably depends on oil consumption).

They state the oil base stock is a PAO/Ester blend. My main query relates to the base stock quality. Their MSDS states the below ingredients:

1-Dodecene, trimer, hydrogenated 151006-62-1 55% - 70%
Synthetic Diester Proprietary 15% - 25%
Phosphorodithioic acid, O,O-di-C1-14-alkyl esters, zinc salts (Zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate) < 1.3%
Phenol, 2,6-bis(1,1-dimethylethyl)- 128-39-2 < 0.7%
Calcium long-chain alkaryl sulphonate Proprietary < 0.7%
Alkaryl amine Proprietary < 0.7%
Zinc, bis(dipentylcarbamodithioato-S,S')-,(T-4) < 0.4%

I've done some rudimentary searches online but haven't turned up anything significant. Can someone tell me how good this base stock, which is predominantly PAO, appears to be?

Link to product: https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/10-tenths-racing-10w-40-pao-ester
Link to MSDS: https://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/msds/10 Tenths Racing 10W-40 Rev 0.7 0118.pdf

They also have a 0w40 product which is interesting too, as 10w is a little thicker than I'd like (we get down to 0*C where i live) and BMW spec a 5W for my car, but then qualitfy this is for all regions, so I could probably swing a 10w here and be fine but who doesn't like better cold start protection?

Specs:

Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt at 40°C = 85
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt at 100°C = 14.9
Viscosity Index = 185
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP at -35°C = 6009
Ca content, Mass % = 0.296
Zinc, Mass % = 0.124 (1240ppm)
Boron, Mass % = 0.063 (630ppm)
Base Number = 9.8
HTHS = ?

This one is a little more old school in that there is no Molybdenum.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/applications/car-4wd/engine-oils/10-tenths-premium-0w-40-pao-ester

Last edited:
-Dodecene, trimer, hydrogenated 151006-62-1 55% - 70%

PAO, unknown viscosity

Synthesized ester, unknown type or viscosity, most likely a TMP Ester

Phosphorodithioic acid, O,O-di-C1-14-alkyl esters, zinc salts (Zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate) < 1.3%

ZDDP

Anti-Oxidant

Detergent

Anti-oxidant

Zinc DPCT, Anti-oxidant/Anti-wear/Corrosion Inhibitor/Metal Deactivator

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to say if the oil looks like a good candidate based on that info or is is still dice-roll and UOA time?

My application is a street/fun driven BMW with a 3L twin turbo straight 6 making ~166HP/L with oil temps around 120-130*C (248-266*F) at full noise.

Quote:
Boron level combined as a total anti-wear package". I thought Boron was a detergent, not antiwear?

Multi-Functional additive just as the Zinc, bis(dipentylcarbamodithioato-S,S')-,(T-4) is aMulti-functional component.

Do a VOA to see exactly what you have and then run a series of UOAs to see how it holds up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilnub
Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to say if the oil looks like a good candidate based on that info or is is still dice-roll and UOA time?

My application is a street/fun driven BMW with a 3L twin turbo straight 6 making ~166HP/L with oil temps around 120-130*C (248-266*F) at full noise.

N54? Downpipe? Tune? That’s 500 hp. Well done! This oil should serve you well. I wish we could get it hear in the States.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Boron level combined as a total anti-wear package". I thought Boron was a detergent, not antiwear?

Multi-Functional additive just as the Zinc, bis(dipentylcarbamodithioato-S,S')-,(T-4) is aMulti-functional component.

Do a VOA to see exactly what you have and then run a series of UOAs to see how it holds up.

Thanks again. If I decide to try it I'll do that. I have trust issues with australian companies (terribly unpatriotic I know)

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I wish all oil companies had data available on each bottle blend like this

If they don't it makes it really tough!!

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

N54? Downpipe? Tune? That’s 500 hp. Well done! This oil should serve you well. I wish we could get it hear in the States.

N54. Currently full turbo back exhaust including DP's, FMIC, intake & custom tuned by me. Soon to have some larger turbos fitted. I'm still on the fence about using it to be honest, not sure I can trust it enough vs some other well known great performers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

PAO, unknown viscosity

Synthesized ester, unknown type or viscosity, most likely a TMP Ester

ZDDP

Anti-Oxidant

Detergent

Anti-oxidant

Zinc DPCT, Anti-oxidant/Anti-wear/Corrosion Inhibitor/Metal Deactivator

Thank you Mola !!!

OP,

I can't help you with your trust issues, but I have used Penrite 10 Tenths Racing 10W40 in my motorcycles before, with a wet clutch / shared sump. These combined engine and gear box can shear oil very quickly, but I had no problem with the Penrite.

I also recall reading that the winning car in last years Bathurst 1000 had that Penrite 10 Tenths Racing 10W40 in it's sump.

It's also one of the few racing oils that carries real specs like API SN etc.

Quote:

PAO, unknown viscosity

This appears to be a Chevron/Phillips PAO. They have a 7 cst and a 9 cSt version with the same CAS number.

I strongly suspect Penrite is staring with the 9 cSt PAO version and adding a bit of thick ester to get to the 14ish cSt viscosity for their Racing oils.

Last edited:
I would have no issues running this oil in a modified car. This is stout well known and proven oil that is not easily obtainable in the USA. If it was, Redline would have to be looking over their shoulder
laugh.gif

The Zn/Ph will not kill a CAT unless the oil control (rings) are not doing their job. I got over 200,000 miles out of a Turbo Volvo that was consuming 1 qt/1,000 miles. The CAT ash cap'd before it died enough to fail to pass SMOG testing in Calif (the most stringent in the USA).

If you have low tension rings (?), you'd better be looking at changing that scenario anyway with big boost... Otherwise fuel dilution will get the oil rather quickly ...

Last edited:
Were UOA's done to verify the viscosity?

Nope...just going by gear change feel. Very obvious in a motorcycle when it goes bad.

The engine oil is shared by the gear box and clutch, all the polymer VII get chewed up by the gears, and when viscosity drops the gear change goes bad.

MolaKule said:
not sure I can trust it enough vs some other well known great performers.

Well it's the oil in use in the car that won the Bathurst 1000 last year. So...

It's also used by others in the Australian Touring car paddock. Another good option is the new Nulon racing oils with their PAO/AN blends (Also used in the touring car paddock.)

If not use Helix Ultra 5W40 or 10W60 the default oil for Ferrari in all their racing categories (eg: GT3, Challenge, and other 1-make Ferrari series around the world.) Use the 5W40 SHU in my 330RWkW CA18DET powered Sports-Sedan, no issues to report.

regards
Jordan

I used 10w10 Penrite racing for 230000km and 15 years, in a 2 litre Astra turbo. When I sold it the engine was like new. Typical oil use over a 10000km oil change would be about 100ml (1/10 the is dipstick high to low marks, they are about 1 litre apart) from 4.3litres of oil (4300ml). Probably evaporation, since this remained constant from new.

Last edited:
A while ago now (when I got the HTHS figures from them for the Racing), found that a lot of their guys are/were ex mobil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back